Badger5Monster Motorsport

Thread: 170 Question

Neutral

Status

170 Question

I went to look at some A3 tdi's at the weekend, i found one which the owner said it was a 170bhp model, but having typing the reg into the insurance web site its saying the car is 140bhp model, how do i know if the car is a 170?? the car is on a 04 plate. Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    As far as I know the 170 didn't become available until Summer 06 - looks like the seller is telling you porky pies.
    -----
    Audi A3 Sportback SP, 2006
    2.0 TDI

Neutral

Status
    I thought the 170bhp model came out later aswell!! thanks

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah definately not a 170 if its an 04 plate.

I wouldn't totally trust the insurance sites for finding reg details as when I put mine in it came up as a 140 Quattro
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

3rd Gear

Status
    Another way to check is to look at the exhaust pipes - if they are pointing down, it's a 140, if they point straight back so the tips are visible when you face the back of the car, it's a 170.
    Jon

Now A3 less......

Another way to check is to look at the exhaust pipes - if they are pointing down, it's a 140, if they point straight back so the tips are visible when you face the back of the car, it's a 170
    I understand from another thread that the 140 is now coming through with straight tailpipes as well.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    I understand from another thread that the 140 is now coming through with straight tailpipes as well.
    Mine didn't! week 48 build, collected Saturday

Mine didn't! week 48 build, collected Saturday
    That's interesting. The previous post was by RGBArgee. I think he may have been referring to the same 140 engine but fitted into a VW model.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    I think the straight tailpipes depend on fitment of a DPF. If you have one then you are allowed straight tailpipes. If not then they must point down to stop the soot going everywhere.
    -----
    Audi A3 Sportback SP, 2006
    2.0 TDI

Yes that's how I always understood the position.

Perhaps VW are importing 140s with the DPF. I know the 140 with a DPF is available in both an Audi and a VW in the German market.
    Dave R (h5djr)

3rd Gear

Status
    S'funny mine are staight pipes and I don't have a DPF on my 140.
    Pragmatik ICT
    Revo (VAG & Porsche) & Steinbauer Dealer for Suffolk & N.Essex
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport DSG Revo Stage 1 & 2
    Porsche Boxster S Revo Stage 1

1st Gear

Status
    hmmm.... I'm confused. I thought all current 140's have dpf
    Just shows what I know!!

At the moment in the UK, only 170s have the DPF. In other markets, particularly Audi's home market in Germany, all 140s and 170s have the DPF as standard.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 6andy69
    I went to look at some A3 tdi's at the weekend, i found one which the owner said it was a 170bhp model, but having typing the reg into the insurance web site its saying the car is 140bhp model, how do i know if the car is a 170?? the car is on a 04 plate. Thanks
    As marklad says the 170 didn't come out here until summer 2006 although it was available in Germany feb 06.2004 ******** owners lying.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

1st Gear

Status
    I believe a way to check visually is the 140 engine cover is grey plastic, the 170 is black.
    Car History
    "57" Audi A3 2.0tdi 170 S-Line S-Tronic, Phantom Black
    "56" VW Golf 2.0tdi Sport
    "55" Audi A4 2.0t S-Line Quattro
    "51" BMW 330d Sport

The way to be certain is to look at the sticker on the back of the front page of the service book or under the cover in the boot.

If, at the start of the 4th line down it says 103 KW then it's at 140. If it says 125 KW then it's a 170.
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    oil filler cap is in a different position also

Reverse Gear

Status

TDI 170

Deffo not a 170, The first ones were 56 registered(I got one), some may have slipped in 06.

1st Gear

Status
    Must be chipped to be a 170 on a 04 plate
    S-Line

Audi Stratford

Status
    if you drop me the reg to alastair.cunningham@listersgroup.co.uk ill tell you if shes a 140 or a 170. if its an 04 plate tho, she'll definately be a 140

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    That's interesting. The previous post was by RGBArgee. I think he may have been referring to the same 140 engine but fitted into a VW model.
    Ther are definately 140 bhp new reg A3's out there with straight twin pipes. Saw one in Listers a few days a go.