170 Question

6andy69

Reaction score
I went to look at some A3 tdi's at the weekend, i found one which the owner said it was a 170bhp model, but having typing the reg into the insurance web site its saying the car is 140bhp model, how do i know if the car is a 170?? the car is on a 04 plate. Thanks

As far as I know the 170 didn't become available until Summer 06 - looks like the seller is telling you porky pies.

I thought the 170bhp model came out later aswell!! thanks

Yeah definately not a 170 if its an 04 plate.

I wouldn't totally trust the insurance sites for finding reg details as when I put mine in it came up as a 140 Quattro

Another way to check is to look at the exhaust pipes - if they are pointing down, it's a 140, if they point straight back so the tips are visible when you face the back of the car, it's a 170.

Another way to check is to look at the exhaust pipes - if they are pointing down, it's a 140, if they point straight back so the tips are visible when you face the back of the car, it's a 170

I understand from another thread that the 140 is now coming through with straight tailpipes as well.

h5djr said:
I understand from another thread that the 140 is now coming through with straight tailpipes as well.
Mine didn't! week 48 build, collected Saturday

Mine didn't! week 48 build, collected Saturday

That's interesting. The previous post was by RGBArgee. I think he may have been referring to the same 140 engine but fitted into a VW model.

I think the straight tailpipes depend on fitment of a DPF. If you have one then you are allowed straight tailpipes. If not then they must point down to stop the soot going everywhere.

Yes that's how I always understood the position.

Perhaps VW are importing 140s with the DPF. I know the 140 with a DPF is available in both an Audi and a VW in the German market.

hmmm.... I'm confused. I thought all current 140's have dpf
Just shows what I know!!

At the moment in the UK, only 170s have the DPF. In other markets, particularly Audi's home market in Germany, all 140s and 170s have the DPF as standard.

6andy69 said:
I went to look at some A3 tdi's at the weekend, i found one which the owner said it was a 170bhp model, but having typing the reg into the insurance web site its saying the car is 140bhp model, how do i know if the car is a 170?? the car is on a 04 plate. Thanks

As marklad says the 170 didn't come out here until summer 2006 although it was available in Germany feb 06.2004 ******** owners lying.

I believe a way to check visually is the 140 engine cover is grey plastic, the 170 is black.

The way to be certain is to look at the sticker on the back of the front page of the service book or under the cover in the boot.

If, at the start of the 4th line down it says 103 KW then it's at 140. If it says 125 KW then it's a 170.

oil filler cap is in a different position also

Deffo not a 170, The first ones were 56 registered(I got one), some may have slipped in 06.

Must be chipped to be a 170 on a 04 plate

h5djr said:
That's interesting. The previous post was by RGBArgee. I think he may have been referring to the same 140 engine but fitted into a VW model.
Ther are definately 140 bhp new reg A3's out there with straight twin pipes. Saw one in Listers a few days a go.