EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Wearing in the new S3!

Hi All

I'm getting my new S3 on the 1st March and just wondered whats the best way to wear it in.

Have heard lots of things like not going above 3000 revs for the first 1000 miles, or waiting till it warms up before going over 50... not sure what are myths!

All opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Jas.

Status
    There are recent threads on this so check/search them out.

But for what its worth no high reving first 1000miles ish. You can spank it now and again and it'll be ok just not constant until to you break the 1000miles
    S3 57 Dolphin Grey.
    MFFBSW,GSM,Cruise,Symphony 6,Bose,
    I-Pod,Rain n Light Pack,Front Arm Rest,Black Optik Grille,BBS Calito'S.

06 A3 2.0T Q S-Line Sportback Spec Ed. Sold
    05 TT Quattro Sport (240 bhp). Sold
    04 A4 1.8T S-Line (190bhp). Sold

On Boost

Status
    The golden rule is get it upto temp ( about 5-10mins after it says 90c on the gauge ) get on the M/way late at night/early morning put it in 3rd at about 20mph put your foot down all the way to the limiter ( don't hit the limiter ) take your foot off the throttle to slow right down again , then do it again a few more times! that should give you a nice tight piston ring seal. better mpg, maybe a faster car , these cars have already been run in on the bench!

Then just drive it normaly as you would every day , don't be bouncing of the limiter , but don't labouer the engaine either for a 1000 miles or so!

Golden rule warm it up first!

Thanks

p

jamiekip
    As mentioned above:
    Be considerate for the first 1000 miles giving the engine a run to the red line a few times should be OK. The engines are built to such fine tollerances nowadays it's not actually the engine the needs running in, it's more often everything else, brakes, gearbox, clutch....
    However, I noticed the MPG in my car start to improve significantly from about 2000 miles so everything is pretty tight until then.

Good luck with the wait - I got mine on the 1st March last year and was climbing the walls through Feb! You won't be disappointed though - nearly a year on and I still love mine!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys for your input. I am wishing the time away at the moment waiting for it.... but I know its gonna be great.

Just want to make sure I've thought of everything before the big day.

Is there any other pointers... first time I've had a brand new car!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    The golden rule is get it upto temp ( about 5-10mins after it says 90c on the gauge ) get on the M/way late at night/early morning put it in 3rd at about 20mph put your foot down all the way to the limiter ( don't hit the limiter ) take your foot off the throttle to slow right down again , then do it again a few more times! that should give you a nice tight piston ring seal. better mpg, maybe a faster car , these cars have already been run in on the bench!
    Wow really? I'd never heard about that on! Would it do any good to the car to do it now & again now after it's run in?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino
    Wow really? I'd never heard about that on! Would it do any good to the car to do it now & again now after it's run in?
    It wont do any harm , but it should be done within the first 20-30miles or so for the ring to get a nice tight fit!

It just runs it in a bit faster , but safely thats why it's 3rd gear , 1st and 2nd would be too much power! after half a dozen times of doing that the car should be run in!

Then just take it easy for 500-1000miles, give all the other componets ( brakes, gearbox , ect ) time to bed in, it's good for the car to clear it's throat from time to time , just make sure it's FULLY WARMED UP!

p

L60N
    So Phantom. youve had your a few days now. Tell us waiting here patiently what the last few days have been like!

1: Has the novelty worn off yet?
    2: Do you look out of your window when you go for a pi$$ to make sure its ok
    3: Do you look back to see it from a distance when your walking into the supermarket
    4: Have you had any people admiring it, flashing you

Jus interested thats all, the wait is killing me

(gratuitous use of smileys award goes to....)

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    So Phantom. youve had your a few days now. Tell us waiting here patiently what the last few days have been like!

3: Do you look back to see it from a distance when your walking into the supermarket

No no NO i just love having a peak at it from the window, ive not given it a gooooooooood hiding yet , but ive give it some, and it loves it! the cars already run in so ive no need , or i would of been up and down the M/way clocking up the miles so i could drive it hard!

Yep every time i lock it i cheak and double cheak, i cheak it's still there before i go to bed, and then when i go to the loo ( which for me is about 5 times a night , i'm sure ive got a prostate hehehehe )

I went up town on saturday night , and i ran out the club to go and look at/cheak on the car 3 times!

Ive had a few people move out of my way , even tho i was nowhere near them or doing silly speeds! they must have saw the wide mouth grill in there rear view and thought SACK THAT!

Love it just love it!

p
    Last edited by phantom; 14th January 2008 at 18:28.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom

Then just drive it normaly as you would every day , don't be bouncing of the limiter , but don't labouer the engaine either for a 1000 miles or so!

Golden rule warm it up first!

Thanks p
    100% agree, piston seal = power (good). Too slow running in can result in glazed bores = blow by (bad).
    RS Focus MP 350
    Porsche 997 Carrera
    S3 Sprint blue
    A3 SLine170TDI

jamiekip
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N

Mate - nearly had mine a year and I'm still doing all of that!!!!
    It's a great car!