Retro Xenons??

J7-AUDIA3

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Just a quick one for you lot. Where can I get a set of genuine xenons for my A3 :hubbahubba: ?

If it's something that's really missing from my car, other than the RNS-E (which is on its way) that's one part it really lacks.

Is it a case I'd have to go to what's known on here as the stealers or would I be able source them from else where?

Cheers

J

You can get them from Ebay, Audi dealers, Vagparts or breakers yards if your lucky. Not cheap though!

there are 3 components for genuine retrofit xenons

1) the lights themselves - try ebay including ebay.de - they come in 2 flavours, the xenon low beam+halogen high - these use the same 10pin connector as the halogen only lights and the bixenon lights which use the xenon for dipped and high beam and have no halogen but do have a daytime running light. to work, they need to be complete with casings, bulbs, ballasts and starters.

2) light washers - these are easy to retrofit, but are the least important as once you have projector lights then the light scatter is minimal anyway - by all account the oem washers are pretty ineffective at actually cleaning the lights anyway

3) the autolevellers -these are pretty expensive to retrofit and if you dont load up the rear of your car and set the light level low anyway are probably not necessary. although legally required... see www.kufatec.de for the leveller retrofit kit.

to fit bixenons to a halogen car you need a set of connector adapters - these adapt the 10pin plugs on the loom to the 14 pin sockets on the lights - the adjusters wont connect up of course, and with bixenons the flash/main beam doesnt work properly unless you wire the cars main beam output to the shutter wire of the bixenons and set the car with vag-com to xenon/halogen type with daytime running on- this powers the xenons on all the time and allows the flash/mainbeam to move the shutters with the hids already ignited, else the shutter moves but the lights dont come on!. at this point the bulb warning for main beam comes on because the car sees the high resistance of the shutter actuator not the low resistance of the main beam.

to resolve this i made my own adapters and wired the main beam feed to the shutters and the bixenon daylight running bulbs at the same time to give it a decent load - no bulb failure warnings..

alternatively you need to run extra wires from the central control unit, through the bulkhead to the shutter actuators via your wiring adapters and then you can code the system properly with the 21w daytime running lights and proper bixenon actions.

seems complicated? easier to buy angel eyes aftermarket lights (projector housings for about £160 per pair) and aftermarked hids but its not a retrofit. it will give you a good light pattern and keep your electical manual light adjustment though and allows you to use either 35w or 50-55w hid h7 hid kits for a very high output headlamp.

after messing about, i added the 3 extra wires though the bulkhead for the main beam shutters and headlamp washer motor and re-used the main-beam wiring to the bixenon daylight running lights to do a proper retrofit with my oem bixenons. im not going to do the headlight washers but i will fit the self levellers once i get the oem bits from a breakers at a decent price.

Cheers for that dunk, it would save tons if I went for aftermarket but I'm stuck on original parts. Seen some on ebay.de for £550 inc P&P.

Are the Xenons worth it guys?

J

J7-AUDIA3 said:
Cheers for that dunk, it would save tons if I went for aftermarket but I'm stuck on original parts. Seen some on ebay.de for £550 inc P&P.

Can xenons be adjusted for driving on the proper side of the road?

I always thought not, Thought RHD lights could be adjusted for LHD roads by simply flattening the beam, ie not fulling dipping the other way. So if you adjusted some LHD lights for RHD use they wouldnt fully dip to the left as they should do. They are certainly different part numbers anyway.

Could be wrong though!

When I had mine adjusted for driving in mainland Europe last summer the effect was just to shutter out the section of the beam that shines down the kerb.

Mine were done by my dealer (free of charge) by connecting to their VAS 5051 computer system. When they are set like that a warning shows in the DIS everytime you switch on the ignition, until they are changed back again.