Where's the ECU located on 2.0 TDi?! (for remap!)

Petem95

Reaction score
I've decided to send the ECU off for a remap in my 2004 2.0 TDI sport A3, but I'm not sure where the ECU is located?! :think:

It's not located by the battery or fuse-box - anyone know where I can find it?!

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Below is a link showing the location and how to remove the ecu for the 2.0TDI engine. I think it's been designed to be a rather difficult job which is why most ecu mods are carried out in-situ.

remove ecu

I wouldn't go to all that trouble for a remap.

Many of the maps available for the majority of recent cars can have any remap loaded to the existing ECU via the diagnostics port.

The remaps these days are basically just an upgrade of the software stored in the ECU. There is no need to remove the ECU, beak it open , unsolder the old chip and replace it with a new one any more.

I don't know if you have checked out Bluefin but they offer a map for the 2.0TDi. Many owners, including myself, have used their product so it is well tested and in my opinion complete transforms the car.

You buy the Bluefin handset from them via their Internet site.
They post the handset to you.
You plug the unit into the diagnostic port on your car and download your current map to the handset.
You plug the handset back into your computer and send SuperChips your current map over the Internet.
They analise your existing map and chose the most suitable map from their set of predetermined off the shelf maps for your particular car.
They email you your new performance map
You copy this map to the handset
You plug the handset back into the diagnostic port of yor car
You upload the new performance map to your ECU.

Very simple process. Don't even get your hands dirty.
You can use the handset to remove the performance map and revert back to standard should you need to.

have a look at their website before you do ripping your car to pieces

I have Bluefin on my A4 and I can recommend it. Like marms says no getting hands dirty and messing about with ECU's as it's all done through the diagnostic port. Added bonus with the handset is that it can be re-flashed to standard if the car ever needs to visit the dealer.

Crikey that isn't a straightforward job is it!! :ohmy:

I think I might have to either take it somewhere to get the remap done, or get a mobile re-mapper out!

Have seen a place locally who'll do a generic remap for 225quid all in, I'm guessing this is ok unless there are any group-buys or anything on at the moment?

Bluefin map looks very impressive, but I just can't justify spending that sort of cash at the mo!

You'll get a 10% discount on the Bluefin unit if you mention you're a member on here - it's about £60 off, might not seem much, but to coin a phrase 'every little helps'.

sorry to be sa bit thick, but i've jusy bought a Bluefin and am having difficulty finding the OBD port.

Where is it?

i think you confused some of the ppl here. you basically wanted to post your ecu to the tuning company to remap and send back, on the old cars you had to actually open it and mess with the boards. on the new car all your doing is sending it them, n they plug it into there laptop and load the map.
so whether you want to drive there and not unplug anything or unplug your ecu and post it them is up to u.
the bluefin is just a mini computer that lets you load and unload maps.