A3 170 TDI Tuning

Stitch_626

Reaction score
Seen as nobody replied in the Tuning section......

Having Moved over from Owning a 2006 Focus ST 2.5 Turbo.... The Audi was good to start with, now I have the Modding bug... and want a little extra performance....

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a plug in tuning device... similar to www.dreamscience.eu that I had for the Focus... or bluefin that I see do tuning chips for the Vag's and Audis.... but not my Engine....

Car is a 2.0 tdi 170 DPF....

Also.... if anyone has re-map or plug in ... how easy is it to put back on if Audi wipe it at a service or something for any reason???

http://www.tunit.co.uk/tunit-product-range.php#V-PD I Found this does anyone have experience of it ?

Comments welcome!!!

I don't like the plug in boxes but thats just my opinion. With tuning for the 170 I think you will have no option other than to visit somewhere to get it remapped. Superchips I think released bluefin for the 170 but due to issues with the DPF they stopped selling it. They still map cars but only onsite. Remap wise I think you will be looking at something around 210bhp maybe more, it'll certainly be a quick car although its never going to sound as good as an ST !

Too much risk for my liking. It does not seem to be a tried and tested and well known engine to remap like the 140 is.

Personally, I wouldn't bother due to fear of the DPF crapping it self and ruining your clutch with 210+ bhp

The torque would be too much for the clutch to handle and would start to slip very quickly

best you could do for maybe a couple more bhp is a green panel filter, miltek cat back exhaust and bigger down pipe

The down pipe makes a good but of difference, its just a hassle to fit from what i believe. I am still considering one - they are only £120

Does the large bore downpipe remove the CAT ? I was told by my insurnace ( Greenlight ) that if I removed the CAT they wouldn't insure the car as its a legal requirment for a car to have one.

Oettinger do a remap for the 170: tried & tested.

Do a google search on local Oettinger outlets.

emzino said:
Oettinger do a remap for the 170: tried & tested.

Do a google search on local Oettinger outlets.

Try APR as well, same company as Oettinger now so shared tech' but usually far cheaper.

Still consider bluefin but you will need to go to the HO at Bucks so they can put your car on the dyno, you will also be able to get the forum disount then of 15% - all in £509.

Ref de-cat a diesel it was my understanding they don't need one for an MOT so can't understand why insurance should be a problem, I had the full miltek on a previous 2.0tdi, sounded better and the turbo spooled up quicker, not a massive gain if any BHP wise but car seemed more willing to rev.

Go for a remap - forget the plug in stuff IMO.

The guy at Superchips tells me the problem is sorted now and I plan to get mine done in a couple of weeks. You should have no problems with the clutch and the Superchips warranty will cover anything not covered by the Audi warranty.

My local Superchips guys said he will re-map my ecu for free if Audi wipe it though he has never seen it happen.

The switchable Revo remaps for the PD170 are now available. No problems with the DPF or clutch (manual and DSG). Development car made 224bhp and 310lb ft on the rollers at Stealth, the production map makes around 220bhp and 305lb ft.

Give me 2 more weeks and we should be good with a fully switchable code...

On off , on off , on off.............

mikep said:
The switchable Revo remaps for the PD170 are now available. No problems with the DPF or clutch (manual and DSG). Development car made 224bhp and 310lb ft on the rollers at Stealth, the production map makes around 220bhp and 305lb ft.

220+bhp! Are you for real?!

I thought that the 170 lot would only be able to reach around 190-205bhp...

I'm really interested in the Revo map - what is the cost and where can I get it done?

I'm selling this for a 170 then. I'm not getting left behind! Especially with Bowfer & his Alpina too...

Not having him owning all the side roads that he so mentions.

Lol I sound like a boy racer. Believe me i'm not, just like to know I got power if I ever need it =)

Interesting thread. I'd like to know anyones thoughts etc on their 170's once they've had them re-mapped.

Very tempted to get mine done, but don't want the DPF to mess up as got a big europe road trip in a few months lol.

si_reading said:
Interesting thread. I'd like to know anyones thoughts etc on their 170's once they've had them re-mapped.

Very tempted to get mine done, but don't want the DPF to mess up as got a big europe road trip in a few months lol.

Same thoughts here.

I'd be extremely interested to get mine re-mapped once the map is proven to be reliable and DPF issue free. :yes:

With my 140 the mpg is 50.8 over 34k miles, it was remapped at 4k. I've found that it stays about the same and sometimes much better than pre-remap, which sounds nuts, but you find you're off the throttle more often as the car is so rapid. There's only so much open road out there!

However if you drive the car like a looney, mpg will probably be a few mpg worse.

Im just curious about the DPF Issues :( Dont want it to pack in and Audi tell me to **** off!!!

The Revo Chip looks like a good bet....

When you say "Switchable" What does that entail?

Marcyboy said:
Im just curious about the DPF Issues :( Dont want it to pack in and Audi tell me to **** off!!!

The Revo Chip looks like a good bet....

When you say "Switchable" What does that entail?
Think thats where it's hooked up to the cruise control and gives you the option to switch from re-map to oem map. Maybe wrong..?

Think I will let others test it before I commit to anything! I've not had any problems with the DPF so far so I really dont want to risk upsetting it :(

The Revo switchable software enables you to switch between the original map and the revo map using a REVO Select or Select Plus switch or the dealer using their laptop. It takes about 10 seconds to switch between maps. You have to buy the Select switch, but I offer a free switching service to all my local customers.

Many on here will be interested in remaps for the 170. Please could the remappers tell us on what basis they have for telling us all dpf issues are resolved? Have you broken the pipe between engine and dpf and measured the soot and emission increase between mapped and standard and then calculated the effect on the dpf using Audi's original design figures? Or, is it a question of the fact that you've simply remapped one, driven it a short while and it seems ok? Any dpf problems caused by overfueling and soot productions will surely creep up slowly but surely. A bit like the tide coming in. To guage the true effect a statistical analysis would be necessary, involving many cars over many thousnads of miles under many driving styles. I think anyone who was amongst the first to try it would either be very courageous, so rich they didn't care anyway or freshly delivered off the last onion cart. Given the replacement cost of the dpf, clutch, S-tronic gearbox assuming you have one, and engine I will be interested to see how the brave pioneers get on.

I just spoke to my local dealer (Ashford Motorsport). It is £499 but the switch unit (like Bluefin) is an extra £149. He also tells me Revo are quoting +25 bhp. I have asked him to call me when the unit is available as I think I am going to go for it!

The 170 remap has taken about 9 months of development at Revo with their own development car. The issue is to keep the DPF re-cycle time to the original spec, this means not generating loads of soot, which is often consequence of some diesel tuning. The last thing we want to do is release code which causes DPF failures, it's not good for the name of the company and a sure way to get royally slagged off in the forums.

I'll ask RevoMike to get the guys to post some stuff about the background to the development. 'Oi Mike!!'

all decent tuners are conservative on remaps, those that boast are likely to have unhappy customers when the car doesn't produce the goods.

Mike, with stage 2 maps, how much of an increase do you see over the basic map and what items go into or designed to work with stage 2 ?

So, if the remappers are conservative and there's nothing to lose, why don't Audi just make it more powerful in the first place?

Here's something to mull over, and for the remappers to explain.
A standard, current, 320D BMW gives 177bhp.
Now, to make my Alpina put out 200bhp, Alpina change the turbo, injectors and intercooler.
Why would they go to that bother, if they could just remap a standard one?
My suspicion, which I fully expect to be told is nonsense, is that changing all these parts gives a better power curve, perhaps less 'peaky' than a remap?

Twizzler said:
So, if the remappers are conservative and there's nothing to lose, why don't Audi just make it more powerful in the first place?

Car and bike makers just go for an all-encompassing setting, don't they?
One that takes account of emissions and quality of fuel, which differ from country to country?

Is there much difference between the quality of fuel in Europe? I thought this European paradise we all now inhabit was supposed to be a great leveller.

Twizzler said:
Is there much difference between the quality of fuel in Europe? I thought this European paradise we all now inhabit was supposed to be a great leveller.

Dunno, I just know car and bike makers use a 'worst case scenario' setting for their ECU's, which is why you can almost always improve on them.
Noise law comes into it too, believe it or not.
Bike makers will deliberately programme in a 'flatspot' (usually around 5000-6000rpm) to coincide with drive-by noise tests.
Plug in a power commander (aftermarket ECU) and you can happily programme out that flatspot, making sizeable gains in power and driveability.

Two other things I was told by the local Revo dealer, maybe someone can give their comments.

1. Revo do not offer the 5 hour free trial on the Diesel maps. And that there is a problem with them cutting out after 15 minutes. :confused:

2. They do not have a rolling road and in their words "they do not give accurate figues" and "different rolling roads will give massively differing results". Really?

Interesting that. You'd think if it was only a question of twiddling a few data bits the makers would tune their cars to be competitive in each of the individual markets. Couldn't be bothered I suppose. Open the chocalate digestives and look forward to the Christmas bonus.....

Probably a bit of a nightmare when a train arrives at Ingolstadt with say 2000 engines that have been built at the plant in Goyor in Hungary. The engines go into stock to be called off as they are required on the production line. At the time the engines are made they have no idea which market they will end up in.

To tweak each engine or ecu as it comes off the production line would not be viable. Also each tweaked engine would have to go through all the testing of emissions, fuel consumption etc that is required for EU Type Approval. Better from Audi's point of view to produce a 'standard' engine. Tuners do not have the same problems.

Yep, that must be it. Are you going to volunteer yours to be one of the first to be improved then Dave?