JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos

Thread: RNS-e lockup

2nd Gear

Status

RNS-e lockup

Anyone else had their system lockup on them? I took a trip to Ludlow today for a look around. Pressed the map button on the Nav after I set off and it remained stuck in the startup nav address screen. In fact, nothing worked except the volume control on the unit and the MFSW. All I could do was vary the volume of the radio station I was tuned to. I stopped and removed the key for 30 seconds or so and restarted it only to find it came back instantly to the nav address screen without even going through the startup MMI screen. I pondered the possibility that I'd need to pull its fuse as I wandered around Ludlow. Seemed to me it must have a live feed which was stopping it being fully reset. When I got back to the car it worked fine so just needed a long power-off. Anyone else had this problem?
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Mine used to freeze if I displayed the map first thing on a morning. Later software revisions appear to have fixed my issue. What software version is it running?

2nd Gear

Status
    Software version is 8P0919884R-R-EUW
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    Can you press the setup button then select car? (I think) It should then display something like -

HW xxx
    SW xxx
    Map xxxxx

2nd Gear

Status
    Last post was Map 8P0919884R-R-EUW
    SW 0600
    HW H74

R8GGA

Status
    Mine did that once to me too - same thing exactly, could only use the volume button (i don't have a MFSW).

A 30 second engine-off period didn't fix it but when i came back to the car an hour or so later it was fine. Same software as you i think - 0600 (using a 2007 disc with TMC enabled)

It's never happened since.
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

6th Gear

Status
    mine did this last week - same thing - only volume worked on RNSE and MFSW. I pressed various combinations of buttons to try to unfreeze it (including the screen open button). The only way to unfreeze it was to pull the fuse. When I put the fuse back in the unit powered up. Funnily enough the screen opened at this point. Looks like the RNSE cached the button sequence and released them when the unit unfroze.

I have the latest 0600 software and 2007 disc too.

4th Gear

Status
    Just for the record the latest software is 650 for the 2008 DVD

Part number 8P0 060 884 AA

I too have had the lock up on SW:600 and it looks as though it is a 'feature' of that release. Not had chance to install the SW:650 yet but hopefully this will be fixed in the latest release. Having said that, it has only happened twice since owning the 2007 disc and I use it mostly every day so it's hardly a problem.

Leaving the car for a while fixed the lock up on both occasions for me.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

The Damned

Status
    Happens to me too!

Found that if you press the on/off button for about 5 seconds it does a soft reset. Although rarely does it straight away, usually have to try this about 3 or 4 times before it does a reset. You'll know when it has reset as there is a thud like sound that comes through the speakers.

Works for me everytime

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Marcyboy's Instagram Channel
    Whats the cost for the 2008 DVD?

6th Gear

Status
    You can reset the RNSe without resorting to pulling fuses. Press and hold the radio and setup buttons for about 5 seconds, this initiates a reboot of the unit.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    You can reset the RNSe without resorting to pulling fuses. Press and hold the radio and setup buttons for about 5 seconds, this initiates a reboot of the unit.
    knew there was a reboot button sequence, but forgot what it was. will give it a go next time it freezes.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan
    knew there was a reboot button sequence, but forgot what it was. will give it a go next time it freezes.
    I've got the 2007 disk and it does it 2/3 times a month.......Holding the volume button down for 15/20 seconds reboots the unit and it's ok.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidingsash
    I've got the 2007 disk and it does it 2/3 times a month.......Holding the volume button down for 15/20 seconds reboots the unit and it's ok.
    Yeah, but that's only a soft reset. My RNS-E has only frozen once, but my SDS stops working frequently. It only comes on again after the ignition has been off for about 10 minutes. The hard reset means I can reboot while driving and use the SDS.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    You beat me to it John! I can also confirm that this works - the reboot cures the freezing issue.

Interesting that some owners of 0600 software are still getting the problem - I have 0550 and it locks up from time to time. Anyone got 0650 installed and had lock-up issues?
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    Anyone got 0650 installed and had lock-up issues?
    No problems so far for me.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    Anyone got 0650 installed and had lock-up issues?
    I've got 0650 and don't have any lock-up issues - but I never had them with 0550 or 0600 either.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

2nd Gear

Status
    I've given a little more thought to this. On Wednesday it happened after I'd bounced over a long row of speed humps on a nearby road. They look more in keeping with Aintree than a public highway. A few weeks ago I had a less serious issue when I pressed the map button after bouncing over a couple of massive humps in my local Homebase. It was stuck on the nav address screen for the first time. On that occasion I pressed the 'return' button on the rns and the map appeared. I wonder if it's just a head crash on the dvd drive caused by the shock to the unit? I'll try the 'radio and setup button reset' escape next time.