DIS display switched to Digital Speedo by RNS-E

GeoffT

Reaction score
I've noticed that every time I use Navigation mode on my retrofit RNS-E, the DIS is left in digital speed display mode (even after ignition off & restart). To go back to the normal DIS display I have to press the DIS "reset" button twice.

As far as know it is all VAGCOMed OK, and this it the only strange behaviour I have noticed.

Is this normal behaviour? If not, is/are there some setting(s) that need changing either in the RNS-E itself or to something else via VAGCOM?

My old A3 never did that. Are you confident the CAN gateway is coded correctly? I cant think of anything else that could cause such a problem. Strange.

I'm as sure, as a VAGCOM newby can be, that all the VAGCOMing has been done correctly. In fact with the latest version, adding Navigation to the CAN gateway only meant ticking the box next to Navigation, so I'm pretty confident.

If no-one can think of anything else to look at, I'll double check my VAGCOM settings tomorrow.

Mine does this after using the navi, mine was installed by Craig in Manchester and the guy knows his stuff so I guess its coded correctly

Is there any way to get the DIS to display a digital speedo without the Navi?

Not that it would be of much use I just think it would look, erm, neat!

If you have a late 2007 model, you just select it using the menu system in the DIS. If not you don't have the option.

Oh well, I've got a 53 plate A4. Was worth asking though. Thanks for the reply!

From what I can gather it goes back to the previous menu in the sequence.
1) Trip 1
2) Trip 2
3) Digital Speedo
4) Nav
5) Setup.

As a test go into the setup menu and display the engine oil temperature. wait for the display to timeout (approx 30 seconds) and it should revert back to the digital speedo too.

It would appear that the nav display is not just put over the top, it actually moves it to display 4 (using the above example), and then when the nav is finished is goes back to 3.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer to have my DIS showing the digital speedo rather than any of the trip computer information anyway.

I leave mine on Comp 1 showing the instantaneous fuel consumption etc. It's nice to see the car doing 200mpg occasionally, even if the next second it's down at 20! lol
I have a digital speedo on my Roadpilot Pro so that takes care of the revenue raisers.

Mine is always left on the lap timer but as above sometimes strangely moves to the nav location on the DIS after starting the car sometimes??