Revo S3

JohnS3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

There's been a lot of remap discussions lately, so I thought I'd share my experiences. I wanted a little more under my right foot, not too interested in all out BHP, just more torque. I also wanted something that could be adjusted, just in case I decided to go further with the mods later on. I discounted Superchips as I have read that the map is a little subtle and isn't adjustable. MTM were out as it's not adjustable either. I spoke to a GIAC dealer and he wanted to sell me more than I really wanted at this time, cold air intakes, downpipes & exhausts.... Which lead me to Revo, they have a map that can be tailored to the users needs and can also be adjusted as those needs (or your mood) change. I've also read good reports on here and the UKMkiVs forum.

A trip to Revo was in order, so I made an appointment to visit their offices in Daventry. I met Kev and Mike, who both post on here from time to time. We spent time chating about the map over a coffee and Kev went off to flash the ECU, this took around 20 minutes. During the flash many different sets of parameters are uploaded, this way the settings can be changed very quickly without the need for a complete reflash.

Remap in progress
S3_1.jpg

Kev configured the map with these settings boost 6, fuel 9, timing 4, (those settings are in the mid point of the map and take into account the fact that I can't always buy super unleaded fuel) then out for a test drive... What a difference!! there's more noise from under the bonnet and far more rush towards the horizon. I really wasnt expecting the difference to be that noticable. A rather large smile had crept across my face by this point.

On the day it was cold, around 3' so Kev suggested we set the car up with full boost to see what it could do. This can't be done whilst the engine is running, but 5 seconds is all it took to change the settings and away we went. Wow! The car was seriously, seriously fast, it felt like the extra power had been more than doubled. From a standing start the car blasted through all the gears and the speedo started to look like a rev counter. Christ it was quick, we kept runing out of road! I flicked the DIS onto instant mpg and floored it, a sobering figure 8 looked back at me. Kev explained that you couldn't run those settings all year round, certainly not in the summer, so he set it back to the figures shown above.

It was an interesting drive home, at motorway speeds all the extra torque is right there around 3000rpm in 6th and is very usable. I'm still seeing an average of 24mpg too.

I did some before and after block 120 dyno runs with vagcom, see the graphs below for the results. I can confirm that the flash counter wasn't changed and any further tweaks to the map don't change it either.
Revo gets my stamp of approval, not to mention the big smile every time I drive the car ;)

Standard
S3_2.jpg
S3_4.jpg

Revo
S3_3.jpg
S3_5.jpg

Happy to hear you got what you wanted mate =)

Seems like REVO have done you & the car justice! The figures are looking impressive & the graph does it proud.

Your write up was very good too, I felt as if I was smiling as you expressed how it felt when you really gave the car some lol.

Very nicely done mate =)

John, did they say anything about the software "running in" where over a period of time it will get "better" or feel "smoother"... I know it's different with electrics/software because it's nothing mechanical but i've read it on some threads were tuners would be quoted to saying such a thing.

Also, does it affect your clutch/gearbox in anyway? Would it, over a period of time, decrease your clutches/gearboxes life?

Nice writeup again, was a good read =)

emzino said:
Happy to hear you got what you wanted mate =)

Seems like REVO have done you & the car justice! The figures are looking impressive & the graph does it proud.

Your write up was very good too, I felt as if I was smiling as you expressed how it felt when you really gave the car some lol.

Very nicely done mate =)

John, did they say anything about the software "running in" where over a period of time it will get "better" or feel "smoother"... I know it's different with electrics/software because it's nothing mechanical but i've read it on some threads were tuners would be quoted to saying such a thing.

Also, does it affect your clutch/gearbox in anyway? Would it, over a period of time, decrease your clutches/gearboxes life?

Nice writeup again, was a good read =)

Thanks. Yes I think they did say the car would need to "adjust" not sure about better or smoother. The graphs were done about 600 miles after the map, so I guess it should have settled down by now.

Gearbox/clutch? I guess that depends on how you drive. I dont thrash around and redline it everywhere, so maybe yes maybe no ??

Ahaaa ok. Well I think I also remember reading that the gearbox/clutch would only be in trouble if you do Grand Prix off the line starts heh.

Especially with that extra torque around too!

Basically it's not good to ride on the clutch as that'll pulverize it even more but it's good practice to probably starting hammering it after 1st gear. That's how it is for TDI's, not sure about your S3 though... although you do have alot more torque so I guess it could apply to you too.

Hopefully it doesn't though & I doubt it will since your S3 is still young and fresh so it's smooth sailing for you all the way =)

hi mike where abouts in suffolk are you cause i am looking at having my s3 remapped how much do u charge.

Cheers for the info, I'd be very interested to hear your long term views and continuing reports on this as its something I need to decide whether to have it done or not in the future.

S3ren said:
hi mike where abouts in suffolk are you cause i am looking at having my s3 remapped how much do u charge.

Stg1 code is 499+ vat .. You will see about 260hp/285lb.t

Mike (Pragmatik )
The Hedgerows
Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford
Suffolk
IP14 5PV

Thanks ..

p.s Glad ur happy John... Good to meet you..:thumbsup:

Hey

It was between REVO and GIAC for me recently, it might just be me but i seem to remember people encountering problems with REVO, mainly along the lines of too much increased boost etc..

I liked the thought of the more aggressive map though that REVO offer, but i was put off by the customer service of 2 dealers i rang near me, basically the first guy i rang didnt seem to know much at all about the remap and said he is not aware of one being available for the S3, the second guy i rang answered the phone, then proceeded to have a huge argument with someone next to him effing and blinding for about 5 mins while i just sat there and listened, then eventually said "yes hello can i help you"

In light of this i looked into GIAC, and the feedback on this forum has been nothing but positive, im not doubting REVO but i can safely say im over the moon with my GIAC remap

JohnnyB, If you want to do some vagcom power runs let me know.

Very nice writeup and i'm glad you made a vag-com dyno.

Also can you log block 115 so we can see what boost you're running.

Cheers,
Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I did! Give me a little time and I'll post the boost graphs.

Hi John,

What an excellent post, these posts are the reason why I check the forum everyday, not stupid people moaning over private plates!!! :gun2: To be honest, with regards to my car, (2.0 TDI 140BHP DSG) I still haven't decided on a map. I went out in Beddie's car (remapped 140) and although I was impressed, the superchips map, feels alittle too "progressive" and not enough "aggressive".

I had a 15/20 min talk with John from Vag-Tech (Revo Dealer) as he's is installing a big turbo 400bhp kit on my friends Mk 1 TT. I was very impressed with his customer service, so Revo might be the one then. Do we get any discount for being on this forum, and where abouts are they based? I want at least 300ft-lb from my map. Not bothered about the bhp as like you John.

Thanks
N8 :hi:

N8KOW said:
Do we get any discount for being on this forum, and where abouts are they based? I want at least 300ft-lb from my map. Not bothered about the bhp as like you John.

We tried a while ago for a group buy, the boys at the head office in Daventry can't do anything for us as it might upset the dealers. Perhaps a dealer may be prepared, or could be persuaded, to step in with a tempting offer..... Who knows!

JohnS3 said:
We tried a while ago for a group buy, the boys at the head office in Daventry can't do anything for us as it might upset the dealers. Perhaps a dealer may be prepared, or could be persuaded, to step in with a tempting offer..... Who knows!

Its a shame that Revo HQ can't commit to a forum discount on the grounds that it is carried out at HQ only, I have never and will never pay RRP, a discount no matter how small makes the customer feel 'special' and can lead to loyalty and more importantly excellent PR.

Great review BTW.

N8KOW said:
Also John, what is this SDS mod? Have you got the full vag-com with cable? How do you perform the bhp readouts? Thanks

SDS (speach dialogue system) lets you talk to the nav unit, (and the CD and radio for that matter) just like you can with the phone kit. You have to wire it to an exising phone mic (if you have the phone prep) or fit a seperate one.
Not quite, I bought a micro can cable, so it only works with can based cars.
See this link for the block 120 tutorial from Ross Tech

Boost graphs added. It's interesting that the map runs less boost than standard, Mmmmm. :uhm:
Perhaps I could run a tad more boost, Revomike?

Can do mate.. But only cos its cold still ..

Try 7 see how u get on..

Were can offer a groupe disscount as do it for one web site we have to do it for all of them . There car guys posting on here from all over the world...

Have a word with your dealer you use and see what they say.
thanks

JohnS3 said:
JohnnyB, If you want to do some vagcom power runs let me know.

Yeah that might be quite useful, the guy at GIAC did actually mention he has vagcom professional now you mention it,

either way i will keep in touch