The A3 just seems to attract tar!!?? Do you notice this on your lighter colours?

sat1983

Reaction score
I seem to have to use AG tar remover everytime I wash the car. Tons of tar gets stuck at the bottom of door and part of the rear bumper. I have never had a car with that much tar sticking on it, or do I just take care of the A3 much more!!!??

Oh yeah wasn't saying it was a problem with the A3! It just seems to build up a lot quicker on my current car. My wheels are covered in tar & brake dust spots. Can't shift either of them properly.

You need to get some megs wheel brightner for the wheels and perhaps a clay bay, then give them a good coat of poorboys wheel sealent. Make sure you give the lower part of the car a good coating of wax too, it won't stop the tar but it will make it easier to remove. I get most of my stuff from polished bliss ( also a site sponser )

Steve

The wheels are bad for tar, yes.
But, as SteveTDCi says, waxing them helps a lot.
The tar spots can just be picked off with your nails then.

Got some wheel brightener so will try that. Got clay bar too. I got some collinite 476 a few months back could I apply this on the wheels?
The tar marks on the lower part of the car seem to have an almost "rusty effect" not black but brownish.

sat1983 said:
I got some collinite 476 a few months back could I apply this on the wheels?

Yup.
Well I do, anyway!
(Actually, it's their 'marque d'elegance' I use now, but I used to use 476S)
Don't waste you money on tar-spot remover, BTW.
Their all petroleum distillate based.
In other words, petrol.
So either use some petrol or, believe it or not, WD40 sprayed onto a rag makes good tar spot remover.
You'll have to wash the car after, whatever you use.

Not sure if there is a direct link between the amount of rain we've had recently and tar but have driven on the same roads as I normally do, yet now lots of tar spots on the rear wheels?! Going to have to get the clay bar out

Matt said:
Not sure if there is a direct link between the amount of rain we've had recently and tar but have driven on the same roads as I normally do

There probably is.
Rain = potholes = councils hastily repairing potholes using those 'lance' style machines, that leave horrible soft tar everywhere.

bowfer said:
There probably is.
Rain = potholes = councils hastily repairing potholes using those 'lance' style machines, that leave horrible soft tar everywhere.

I can believe that. Newly tarmacced part of the M18 & M1 don't seem to be helping either or is it my imagination!!

Come up to Scotland and the Salt/Grit on the roads in the winter - causes little orrange tar spot dots - they have to be picked off with a nail! HAHA