JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 121 to 160 of 232
  1. #121
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mid Wales
    Posts
    85
    It was the 143BHP

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #122
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by unkle
    I saw a D3 Alpina in Hagley, Brum. It had the Alpina stickers on it, looked awful. No need for them imo, anyone with an interest in cars can tell by the wheels if a BMW is an Alpina variant.
    No side stickers on the UK one.
    All you get is an Alpina sticker on the front spoiler, which I would happily lose, and an Alpina badge on the back.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  4. #123
    unkle's Avatar
    Beer God

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    No side stickers on the UK one.
    All you get is an Alpina sticker on the front spoiler, which I would happily lose, and an Alpina badge on the back.
    The Decal on the front has to go (IMHO), think it would look totally out of place on a black one.. (I think you said yours was going to be black)
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

  5. #124
    L60N
    Guest
    200bhp in a diesel should feel very fast. Just not very fast LOL.

    I had a 155 TDCi chipped to 180-85. It felt rapid but in real terms the acceleration is not that great, due party to the short powerband (2000-3500). the quoted figures for the car standard was a 0-60 of around 9.7, so the bhp would have brought it down to perhaps 9ish. Another downer for me is the sound. I dont like the sound of a diesel AT all. The worst was the morning startups. OMG black smoke and a tractor for an engine, it did wear off after 20 mins though.

    Petrol is for people who ar'nt constrained by company car policies, or the cost of fuel.

  6. #125
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    200bhp in a diesel should feel very fast. Just not very fast LOL.
    I had a 155 TDCi chipped to 180-85. It felt rapid but in real terms the acceleration is not that great, due party to the short powerband (2000-3500).
    Petrol is for people who ar'nt constrained by company car policies, or the cost of fuel.
    Not sure I follow your first line...
    Anyway, I suspect the 'short powerband' thing you mention is why Alpina change so many parts, rather than simply chipping a standard 320.
    I'm sure they could chip a standard (177bhp) 320 up to 200bhp easily, but it maybe makes the short powerband worse.
    Hence they change the intercooler, injectors, complete turbo unit, exhaust etc.
    So whilst it obviously still has a shorter powerband than a petrol car, it's better than you average diesel.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with your last statement either, it's too simplistic.
    There are people out there like diesels for the way they put their power out.
    My wife, for example, hates revving cars.
    So she loves diesels.
    There are also those of us who hate visiting petrol stations every 200-250 miles, and who like being able to do long journeys without stopping.
    It makes a fair difference to your journey time, believe me.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  7. #126
    L60N
    Guest
    There MAY be people who like diesels, but i can guarantee its not for the way they put power down LOL!

    Its for cheapness or the fact they are tied in with company car mileage.

    As far as filling up, well, i'd rather fill up a few more times with petrol and leave with clean hands than fill up with diesel and end up with sticky stinky diesel all over my hands, as always happens.

    My first statement meant that the car felt fast (torquey) but in real terms wasnt really that fast at all (8.5-9)

    Just hope they open your D3 powerband up a bit... And try not to be put off by the horrendous clatter from your engine in the mornings

  8. #127
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Now you see thats where you are wrong. A nice torquey denzel makes for a much more relaxing drive.

    People choose diesels for the effortless drive in many instances.

    J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  9. #128
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    As far as filling up, well, i'd rather fill up a few more times with petrol and leave with clean hands than fill up with diesel and end up with sticky stinky diesel all over my hands, as always happens.
    Thats why petrol stations have those disposable gloves at the pumpts to avoid that...
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  10. #129
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    Now you see thats where you are wrong. A nice torquey denzel makes for a much more relaxing drive.

    People choose diesels for the effortless drive in many instances.

    J.
    Ah but....

    Why not have a nice torquey turbo-charged petrol engine ? That also gives you an effortless drive !

  11. #130
    L60N
    Guest
    Without having to wear gloves in a petrol station
    (I always laugh at those people)

  12. #131
    Matt's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,416
    I like a big dollop of torque thrown at you low down the revs. Its much more useable power in a diesel. But if I did a few less miles so wasn't as fussed about MPG then I'd probably have bought a 2.0T
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

  13. #132
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    There MAY be people who like diesels, but i can guarantee its not for the way they put power down LOL!
    Laugh it up, but you're wrong.
    My wife likes small cars.
    Petrol versions are gutless little twats of things.
    So she went for the turbo diesel option, specifically because she doesn't have to rev the tats off it.
    She only does 6 miles per day, so economy wasn't a major issue.
    It's just an added bonus to the better power delivery.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  14. #133
    ManicMunky's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chorley, Lancs, UK
    Posts
    311
    I like driving my diesel, gives a nice thump in the back for overtaking.

    But I miss chasing the red line, so I'll go going back to petrol!

    Either an 8L S3, or an A4 1.8T Cabriolet :O
    - Andrew

  15. #134
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Petrol versions are gutless little twats of things....
    Only true for normally aspirated engines.

  16. #135
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    Only true for normally aspirated engines.
    Yes, but I've sort of covered that in saying that she only likes small cars.
    You don't get many turbo petrol engines in 'Clio' size vehicles.
    If you do, they tend to be top of the range sports versions, which my wife wouldn't be interested in (nor would I).
    So, you're left with NA or TD.
    Her 1.5Dci Clio puts out 86bhp and 200nm torque.
    The next petrol engine available at the time puts out 76bhp and 105nm.
    Half the torque.
    Even their new petrol turbo unit, which wasn't available at the time, only puts out 145nm of torque.
    So she can make surprisingly rapid progress, for a small car, without having to rev it daft.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  17. #136
    L60N
    Guest
    Guttless what??? No need to swear.

    Most people will agree with me that petrol cars possess much smoother power delivery and generally are faster, more evenly balanced machines.

    You can keep your CO2 emmissions, i dont need to justify mine to anybody.

    Bowfer, if you could afford it, and your company didnt dictate what car you must drive, you'd have an m3 over a D3 ANY DAY.

    You DONT have to rev the "tats" off a petrol to get acceleration LoL. I have not had to do that since my 1.0metro!

  18. #137
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    You DONT have to rev the "tats" off a petrol to get acceleration LoL. I have not had to do that since my 1.0metro!
    Good grief...
    It depends on the engine.
    A 5 litre V8 won't need revving, no.
    A small NA engine will need revving more than it's turbo diesel counterpart though.
    Twice the torque, produced at half the revs.
    You simply cannot argue with that.
    I'll add an 'lol' too, seeing as you think it 'adds' something to an argument.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  19. #138
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    Bowfer, if you could afford it, and your company didnt dictate what car you must drive, you'd have an m3 over a D3 ANY DAY.

    How true. I had a B3 and a D3, they were both bad decisions that I only realised when I had got the M3!

    If diesel owners were honest they would say they buy the car for economical reasons. All this talk of diesel power is just rubbish. You just cannot justify buying a diesel because it is more powerful than its petrol sibling.
    Diesels have improved but I think we may have a wait some time for the first production diesel Lambo or Fezza. There is a very good reason they use petrol as their choice of fuel!

  20. #139
    C_Audiboy's Avatar
    Vroom Vroom

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    811
    Bowfer, weren't you wasting some pretty quick cars in your wife's clio on the back roads (I think I remember that from a while back?)?

    With the D3, what will you be leaving behind this time? Zondas and McLaren F1s???

    Only kidding

    A guy at work has a D3 in black too. Very smart but I do agree with removing the decal from the front splitter - it just looks pants. Other than that its a nice machine IMO.

    How long till you get it?
    -------------------------

    987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

    -------------------------


  21. #140
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    Most people will agree with me that petrol cars possess much smoother power delivery and generally are faster, more evenly balanced machines.
    Thats debatable. Smoother possibly depending on the engine although honda's diesel is a pretty smooth bit of kit.

    Faster? Hmmm in day to day driving I wouldn't say that is necessarll the case.

    In my car I still have to swop the cogs against some of the diesels to be quicker.

    J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  22. #141
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    If diesel owners were honest they would say they buy the car for economical reasons. All this talk of diesel power is just rubbish. You just cannot justify buying a diesel because it is more powerful than its petrol sibling.
    Diesels have improved but I think we may have a wait some time for the first production diesel Lambo or Fezza. There is a very good reason they use petrol as their choice of fuel!
    Firstly, your first point is pish.
    Of course there are people who buy diesels because they prefer the 'lazy' way they put their power out.
    People who tow caravans/boats are just one example.
    To suggest everyone drives a diesel because they're 'tight' is such old fashioned bull****.
    Secondly, supercars still have petrol engines because their drivers have a whole different set of criteria from Mrs.Miggins in her Micra.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 17th January 2008 at 13:03.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  23. #142
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Audiboy
    Bowfer, weren't you wasting some pretty quick cars in your wife's clio on the back roads (I think I remember that from a while back?)?With the D3, what will you be leaving behind this time? Zondas and McLaren F1s???Only kidding
    Yeah, some 'all the gear, no idea' in a Caterham.
    If there are equally clueless drivers out there in Zondas, I dare say I might stand a chance in the D3.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  24. #143
    L60N
    Guest
    lol

  25. #144
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    To suggest everyone drives a diesel because they're 'tight' is such old fashioned bull****.

    I did not suggest that. Maybe that is your view, not mine. I said for economical reasons, very different to being 'tight'.

  26. #145
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Firstly, your first point is pish.
    Of course there are people who buy diesels because they prefer the 'lazy' way they put their power out.
    People who tow caravans/boats are just one example.

    I agree, enough said!



  27. #146
    Moisty
    Guest
    LOL



    .

  28. #147
    Matt's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    Diesels have improved but I think we may have a wait some time for the first production diesel Lambo or Fezza. There is a very good reason they use petrol as their choice of fuel!
    Not quite up to the same level of a Ferrari or Lambo but you will have no doubt seen the new V12 TDI R8 concept...
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

  29. #148
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    I did not suggest that. Maybe that is your view, not mine. I said for economical reasons, very different to being 'tight'.
    Semantics.

    Err...lol....
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  30. #149
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Semantics.

    Err...lol....

    I was about to explain the difference to you, but then thought "there really is no point is there, it is clear you just don't WANT to understand".


    I hope you like your M3, sorry B3, sorry D3.




    lol


    .

  31. #150
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Firstly, your first point is pish.
    Of course there are people who buy diesels because they prefer the 'lazy' way they put their power out.
    People who tow caravans/boats are just one example.
    To suggest everyone drives a diesel because they're 'tight' is such old fashioned bull****.
    Secondly, supercars still have petrol engines because their drivers have a whole different set of criteria from Mrs.Miggins in her Micra.
    Dont call my missus "Mrs,Miggins" she likes her Micra SPORT

  32. #151
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstic
    Dont call my missus "Mrs,Miggins" she likes her Micra SPORT
    I like them too, but the missus can't get past the 'old person' image that the Micra has.
    Doesn't help that my mother has one.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  33. #152
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    I like them too, but the missus can't get past the 'old person' image that the Micra has.
    Doesn't help that my mother has one.
    Mrs Miggins Micra


    Mrs Miggins

  34. #153
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    I would.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  35. #154
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    I dont know whats worse dipstic, the fact you had access to the picture or the fact you felt compelled to post it up here...
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  36. #155
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    She looks like an S-line's side bolsters.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  37. #156
    Moisty
    Guest
    I bet she goes like a diesel

    .

  38. #157
    L60N
    Guest
    Alpina are clearly testing the waters.

    I mean, kevving up a diesel by sticking on go faster skirts and stripes does NOT make it any more appealing to me, quite the contrary.. I think i'd rather have a go with Mrs miggins

  39. #158
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    I dont know whats worse dipstic, the fact you had access to the picture or the fact you felt compelled to post it up here...
    Isnt that normal for a 25 year old then?

  40. #159
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N
    I mean, kevving up a diesel by sticking on go faster skirts and stripes does NOT make it any more appealing to me, quite the contrary.. I think i'd rather have a go with Mrs miggins
    An Alpina is about as 'kevved up' as your S3.
    In fact, the actual modifications are probably pretty damned close.
    Body mods ( check )
    Different wheels ( check )
    Different suspension ( check )
    Different turbo ( yes on D3, assume so on S3 )
    Different injectors ( as above )
    Different intercooler ( as above )
    Different interior details ( check )
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  41. #160
    L60N
    Guest
    Your missing the point.

    ITS A DIESEL!!! LOL

    Its like putting a shellsuit on a granny... WRONG!

    I bet when your down the pub telling your mates about what car your getting you say "Im getting and Alpina" not "Im getting a Diesel Alpina"

    case closed
    Last edited by L60N; 17th January 2008 at 15:37.

 

 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO