Considering going back to S3?

Wallachie

Reaction score
I changed my '03 8L Avus S3 in December '06 and went for a M3 CSL, I also bought a B5 A4 TDI to use as a work horse but I obviously don't get much enjoyment out of it......I'm doing quite a few miles with work now and I want a car that I can use every day and get reasonable MPG from i.e. 20-25 ideally.

The only car that fits this bill for me is the S3, I have missed Quattro lots, especially with the crap winter weather we're having....so, basically I'm after a bit of guidance from some 8P S3 owners, I know plenty about the 8L model having owned 2, but I know very little about the new one.

I would be remapping it straight away, what are the average gains with a Bluefin? Any other tuners recommended? I would like Phantom with optics, Recaros, SN and blutooth. Also, if anyone in Northern Ireland has a remapped S3 I would be very grateful for a passenger run in it!

I just realised that Boydie!! Thanks mate!!

I'll see if I can get my thread scrapped! ;)

get your post count up! I have too many as you know lol

Hi and welcome!

There are several threads on the new S3, if you use the advanced search feature and have a look under my user name you'll find all sorts of reviews relating to the new S3, from me and other new owners.

In summary though, the new 8P is a big leap forward from the 8L.
The ride is a lot more controlled and the car resists understeer far more than the old car (always the 8L's weak spot when pressing on).
Power delivery is strong and the power band is a lot larger than the old car.
It's genuinely a huge leap forward, my old S3 was chipped to 255bhp and the new car blitz's that.

As for power gains, most seem to be able to deliver 310bhp from a chip, if you're prepared to invest in new exhausts etc you may get more, but to be fair some people have had their standard cars on a rolling road and seen 275 to 280 without touching it. A lot of people on this site (myself included) are questioning the need to chip the new car as it is plenty fast enough!!!

As I said, have a search under my username and you should hopefully get sight of loads of threads from myself and other owners.

Happy hunting!

JK

Having recently bought an s3 following owning a e46 M3 CS i can tell you its a great car. I loved the M3 but having had it for 3 years fancied a change and the S3 fits the bill brilliantly.

Certainly different in many ways and in a straight line the S3 is not as quick. It is though a lot easier to drive in traffic, very tuneable up to M3 (ish) power for not much money and down a typical british b-road i reckon its quicker than an m3 due to its 4wd - certainly feels more secure under foot which allows you to be a bit more confident.

Hope that helps - certainly i have had no regrets.