Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    On Boost

Status

S3 wing mirrors?

I pick up my car early next week ( can't wait ) , but after reading threads about members getting there wing mirrors cut off ( just for the Aluminum covers ) by scumbags , i'm starting to think is it worth me getting a set of Phantom black covers made up?

I've got electric folding mirrors on mine, and i can't a afford to replace them at 1000 if they got pinched!

I'm i being paranoid?

I live in Manchester by the way!

p

2. # ADS
    ADS

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    I pick up my car early next week ( can't wait ) , but after reading threads about members getting there wing mirrors cut off ( just for the Aluminum covers ) by scumbags , i'm starting to think is it worth me getting a set of Phantom black covers made up?

I've got electric folding mirrors on mine, and i can't a afford to replace them at 1000 if they got pinched!

I'm i being paranoid?

I live in Manchester by the way!

p
    Don't think you are paranoid. I always come to Manchester by train!!

R

1st Gear

Status
    Well the good news is you can now buy Phantom black mirrors pre-painted from Audi for around £80.00 a cap and they are easy enough to fit yourself. You can also eBay your old caps for around £70.00 on eBay.
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_Wilbury
    Well the good news is you can now buy Phantom black mirrors pre-painted from Audi for around 80.00 a cap and they are easy enough to fit yourself. You can also eBay your old caps for around 70.00 on eBay.
    I'd be keeping the Aluminum caps, the Phantom ones will be to stop the cu*ts targeting my car for them!

I'd never sell the OE ones for 70 when it would cost over double that to replace it!

p

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I live in Warrington outside of manchester, I'm gettin S3 chrome mirrors on my A3 (when it arrives!).

1st Gear

Status
    I have been thinking about doing this for my Brilliant red S3.
    Does anyone know of a guide to replace the caps. I seem to remember someone cracking their mirror glass when trying to do it themself.

Cheers, prt

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by prt57
    I have been thinking about doing this for my Brilliant red S3.
    Does anyone know of a guide to replace the caps. I seem to remember someone cracking their mirror glass when trying to do it themself.

Cheers, prt
    If you do decide to do this would you be interested in a deal for the caps.
    My car is Brilliant red and I want the S3 caps so maybe a swap + some dosh from me? The caps are in perfect condition.

Fitting wise.

There are two small screws under the mirror in the black plastic bit. Undo these.
    Then adjust the mirror as far up and towards the car as you can.
    You sould then be able to get your fingers under the mirror glass.
    Get as near to the center of the glass as you can and gently ease the mirror off its fixings.
    It is held on by small clips around a circular plastic ring that is binded to the back of the glass.
    Once the mirror is released you can disconnect the cable and then simply remove the mirror cap by pulling it upwards.

Just reverse procedure to reassemble.

It is not difficult but you do need to take your time. Some say you don't need to release the glass but I found it much easier if you do. The reason I took my caps off? To fit replica S3 caps. Anyone thinking of doing this, then don't. I paid 100 for the caps from Germany and they have lasted less than 8 months. They now look awefull hence the reason for wanting the genuine ones. I just can't justify the 300 for the genuine article from Audi and am reluctant to buy on eBay as this just encourages the lowlife to seal more as (most) on eBay are probably nicked.

Let me know if your interested in doing a swap (+cash).
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

Uber Post Whore

Status
    I have a set of phantom black caps.

But sadly they will be fitted in the near future to my sportback .

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8KOW
    I live in Warrington outside of manchester, I'm gettin S3 chrome mirrors on my A3 (when it arrives!).
    You ordered a new A3?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Didn't you know that, check my sig?!

On Boost

Status
    My Phantom black wing mirror caps are here , do you think i REALLY need to put them on?

My wing mirrors are heated and electric, and if the thiefs did smash off the WHOLE mirror i wouldn't be able to afford to replace them!

I know the car will not look as good, but does the cost outwaigh the looks , is it worth the risk?

Even the dealer has to bring all his S and RS cars in at night or they'll be gone , hes had them piched in the day too!

Thoughts please

Thanks

p

1st Gear

Status
    I guess it depends on the area really / where you leave the car.

I live near Swindon and the car crime rate is pretty low I think. My car is normally at work in a monitored car park or on my drive.

I do worry when I leave it in car parks though after hearing so many people have had the mirrors stolen.

Mine are auto-dimming / folding so I dread to think how much they would be to replace!

6th Gear

Status
    Don't bother, probs wont even happen to you!

Why let the theiving scumbags win by making people live in fear of things like this and changing your car from what it should be!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Status
    If you let this get to you how long will it be before yuo dont even leave your car parked for fear of someone breaking in to steal the contents of the glove box or leaving a parking graze, ding in the door.

I understand your a little paranoid over your new baby but it has to stop somewhere...

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

On Boost

Status
    I totally agree with what your saying lads , but we/i don't live in utopia!

I just couldn't replace them , if they did get nicked i'd have to drive around with no mirrors! which is not a good idea in a 26k car, and ilegal.

Whos to say they wouldn't scratch the paint getting em off!

I'ts a risk that i can't afford to take, i don't really have a choice!

Thanks

p

6th Gear

Status
    But you may aswell say your car is going to get nicked so dont drive it and keep it garaged!

To be honest you have more chance of your car being stolen than your mirrors going awol.

Just think of how may performance cars or even normal cars get stolen a day and then compare this to wing mirrors.

The wing mirror theives will be a very small minority, possibly only one group operating in your area, just think how many other car theives there are.

All it takes its to be a little sensible where you leave your car when parked up, make sure its busy and cctv near by, this will put most toe rags off and they will move on to somewhere else with less chance of getting caught.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

stEve

Status
    How much do AUDI charge for the S3 Aluminium cases?

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobs
    How much do AUDI charge for the S3 Aluminium cases?
    There about 350quid.

p

Uber Post Whore

Status
    I have a pair of silver wing caps now.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Jas.

Status
    I go for there is more chance of car being nicked than the probability of the caps being swiped. The risk is there but small. The other being why have an S3 and remove the signature caps. Its does bother me when i park my car in unknown territory but I'll take that chance.
    S3 57 Dolphin Grey.
    MFFBSW,GSM,Cruise,Symphony 6,Bose,
    I-Pod,Rain n Light Pack,Front Arm Rest,Black Optik Grille,BBS Calito'S.

06 A3 2.0T Q S-Line Sportback Spec Ed. Sold
    05 TT Quattro Sport (240 bhp). Sold
    04 A4 1.8T S-Line (190bhp). Sold

Reverse Gear

Status

Why get rid of the silver wing mirrors

The reason why you get rid of the silver wing mirrors is.....

I was car jacked by armed baddies in balaclavas two months after getting my brand new facelift S3 model within 500 metres of my house - my car was targetted because of the silver wing mirrors.

The car has been recovered, the police pound want hundreds of pounds to give it back to me, the new lockset of the car will be 580 quid i furthermore want to get wing mirrors that blend with the colour of the car and remove all the S3 decals - trouble is its sprint blue so even if i change all the badges exhaust and front grill baddies in the know will still go for the car.

Out of interest the car has been reviewed by Audi engineers and wasnt driven for more than 5 miles before recovery does this reduce the value of the car cos its been pinched if theres no other damage to it?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hipponax View Post
    The reason why you get rid of the silver wing mirrors is.....

I was car jacked by armed baddies in balaclavas two months after getting my brand new facelift S3 model within 500 metres of my house - my car was targetted because of the silver wing mirrors.

The car has been recovered, the police pound want hundreds of pounds to give it back to me, the new lockset of the car will be 580 quid i furthermore want to get wing mirrors that blend with the colour of the car and remove all the S3 decals - trouble is its sprint blue so even if i change all the badges exhaust and front grill baddies in the know will still go for the car.

Out of interest the car has been reviewed by Audi engineers and wasnt driven for more than 5 miles before recovery does this reduce the value of the car cos its been pinched if theres no other damage to it?
    How come u were car jacked. Thought all the doors would auto-lock, unless you never reached 5mph? With regard to removing everything S3, why bother even getting an S3 if you are going to be that paranoid. There are a few insurance companies which cover vandalism without any loss of NCB in the even of a claim. These armed baddies with balaclavas........christ where the f**k do you live!!!......Afghanistan
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

6th Gear

Status
    I doubt the value would be reduced unless its recorded on the insurance register. Stolen recovered with keys would get a cat D if it was claimed against before being returned (which it wasnt) so no worries from that side.
    Last edited by Lee_R; 10th April 2009 at 10:08.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marms View Post
    If you do decide to do this would you be interested in a deal for the caps.
    My car is Brilliant red and I want the S3 caps so maybe a swap + some dosh from me? The caps are in perfect condition.

Fitting wise.

There are two small screws under the mirror in the black plastic bit. Undo these.
    Then adjust the mirror as far up and towards the car as you can.
    You sould then be able to get your fingers under the mirror glass.
    Get as near to the center of the glass as you can and gently ease the mirror off its fixings.
    It is held on by small clips around a circular plastic ring that is binded to the back of the glass.
    Once the mirror is released you can disconnect the cable and then simply remove the mirror cap by pulling it upwards.

Just reverse procedure to reassemble.

It is not difficult but you do need to take your time. Some say you don't need to release the glass but I found it much easier if you do. The reason I took my caps off? To fit replica S3 caps. Anyone thinking of doing this, then don't. I paid 100 for the caps from Germany and they have lasted less than 8 months. They now look awefull hence the reason for wanting the genuine ones. I just can't justify the 300 for the genuine article from Audi and am reluctant to buy on eBay as this just encourages the lowlife to seal more as (most) on eBay are probably nicked.

Let me know if your interested in doing a swap (+cash).
    I had those mirrors as well, three months and the aluminium (**** spray paint) came off!... I got mine colour match sprayed at the local garage for 80 odd quid and they still look good two years later. I will be doing the same to my new A3 when it arrives.

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    depends on what part of manchester you live mate ive got folding mirrors and theres not a chance id have aluminum on mine living in gorton there getting ripped off and by no way your being paranoid most the people on here live in good areas and if they lived where we do after 2 week theyde do the same because they wouldnt be left on the car for more than 2 week... you would wake up look out your window and say f&*k .....go with normal covers i dont like the alu ones anyway they look odd imo ...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    I totally agree with what your saying lads , but we/i don't live in utopia!

I just couldn't replace them , if they did get nicked i'd have to drive around with no mirrors! which is not a good idea in a 26k car, and ilegal.

Whos to say they wouldn't scratch the paint getting em off!

I'ts a risk that i can't afford to take, i don't really have a choice!

Thanks

p

Reverse Gear

Status

I live in a northwestern city that has had a spate of car jackings

Its wasn't so much I was in a car that had deadlocks - the armed baddies knew this why is why they blocked me in with their pursuit car so i couldn't even move the car, but they threatened to kill me with their weapons from outside the car so it was a no brainer for me to get out and leg it.

Its occured to me that it might be a lot cheaper instead of a whole lockset for me just to get my key recoded even tho the baddies have the other one because they CAN just smash the windows to get in although not be able to drive it away.

However the insurance company might not see it that way so whole lockset might be the only way to go

Anyone know where i can get sprint blue wing mirrors? - my local audi garage has said they have had 3 S3s jacked from their customers over last 18 months and Esure who were looking after my claim said about 30 had been done UK wide since December

audi a3 s line 2009 model

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hipponax View Post
    Its wasn't so much I was in a car that had deadlocks - the armed baddies knew this why is why they blocked me in with their pursuit car so i couldn't even move the car, but they threatened to kill me with their weapons from outside the car so it was a no brainer for me to get out and leg it.

Its occured to me that it might be a lot cheaper instead of a whole lockset for me just to get my key recoded even tho the baddies have the other one because they CAN just smash the windows to get in although not be able to drive it away.

However the insurance company might not see it that way so whole lockset might be the only way to go

Anyone know where i can get sprint blue wing mirrors? - my local audi garage has said they have had 3 S3s jacked from their customers over last 18 months and Esure who were looking after my claim said about 30 had been done UK wide since December
    wow thats some scary ****, a guy down the road from me has an s3 also and pulled up next to my new 2009 a3 s line,

he pulled out the local paper and in there, on the front page another s3 owner was held at gun point in front of his own house and was forced to hand his s3 keys over to the thiefs.

when i read on further the guy who had his s3 stolen liturally lived a 5 min walk away from my house. we were thankfull that it didnt happen to us, but even now i still get very paranoid, espeacially when i am parked up etc...

even though i know my car is not an s3 the s line looks preety much the same as its got the leather and the 18" alloys etc. people are always asking me, is that an s3.....
    Last edited by a3motion; 13th April 2009 at 12:28.

5th Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure the original poster of this thread ended up having his S3 nicked or at least attempted to be nicked after they broke into house
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    i think it was nicked they come in the house for the keys i think,,,,, sad really is sad legalise guns that way i can protect myself i myself have been the victim of an armed robbery where my mate was shot 3 times and i can assure you its very very frightning.... if i was armed i would have not blinked an i and let the whole mag off in him 10 years later i still have panic attacks,,,,, i say arm up and if they decide to come in your house shoot em dead

S.3RIZZLE.....

Status
    I think mac1403 you have it all wrong about needing to be in afghanistan !! I wrote on here some time ago that I caught four guys in ballies on my drive .........well lo n behold
    about a month or so ago, four men tried to kick my front door down at 3.30pm broad day light !! In the meantime a fair few people local to me have also been targeted, mainly the footballers. Area has **** all to do with it, these S3/Slines/rs are being watched and being nicked.