for the smokers amongst us

jonathans

Reaction score
call this a petty gripe, but as a smoker, I have never had a worse car than my A3 to smoke in with the window open when its ******* down, or even if the rain has stopped falling and the car is just wet...

Perhaps it is just another example of quality German engineering (not) but surely others out there have been drowned by the torrent of water running off the roof of the car through the window and onto your arms/legs.

why couldn't Audi do what most other manufacturers do, and have a run off channel to take the water away, and stop all we fresh air lovers (or smokers!!!) getting ****** wet through !!!

It's a 'design feature' by Audi to discourage drivers of it's cars from smoking!!!

To be honest, the attitude towards smokers has changed dramatically in the last few years so I don't think designers even consider them now!

I can understand the problem putting the window down and getting wet, but it has nothing to do with smokers. If someone wanted to smoke in my car I would WANT them to get wet :D

Rightly or wrongly (a different debate altogether), the shift is massively towards using aircon instead of needing the window down (except for a few seconds to grab a parking ticket etc) so aerodynamics and aesthetics probably play more of a role than practicallity here.

Rightly or wrongly (a different debate altogether), the shift is massively towards using aircon instead of needing the window down (except for a few seconds to grab a parking ticket etc) so aerodynamics and aesthetics probably play more of a role than practicallity here.

I remember reading in an article a year or so ago that having the windows open on a car uses more fuel that have the air-con compressor running.

h5djr said:
I remember reading in an article a year or so ago that having the windows open on a car uses more fuel that have the air-con compressor running.
aaaarghhh !! - now that explains why i (as a smoker with the window constantly open !) only get 32mpg around town out of my 2.0TDI Q !!!!

Buy wind deflectors - problem solved

Or, preferabley, quit smoking! It will kill you!

talking of letting water through the window, i let the misses drive home christmas day as i had drank far too much, parked on the drive windscreen froze, my dad jumps to the rescue and starts puring tepid water over car with kettle, misses thought he had finished and opened her window at which point he emptied the kettle into her lap and walked off :D

glad i wasnt sober as it may not of been funny then, according to her it wasnt funny at all, n my dad doesnt know he did it, :jump:

wonder if audi could design something to combat this, i must say that the 56 plate cleared the windscreen much quicker than my 05 currently does...

Pile of snow on my driver's seat when I opened the door this morning..

bowfer said:
Pile of snow on my driver's seat when I opened the door this morning..
Jesus how did that get there, had it been there all night ? :w00t:

I used to smoke in my 8L and I noticed this too - i'm still smoking, not in the car though but I did get a lap full of snow the other morning when I put my window down to see the mirrors when reversing out of the drive.

jonathans said:
Jesus how did that get there, had it been there all night ? :w00t:

I went for the optional 'wet seat when door opens' pack.
Actually, I think that pack is standard.:)

went for the optional 'wet seat when door opens' pack.
Actually, I think that pack is standard

Did you go for the option roof (snow) rails?

I was taking to an Austrian Sportback driver last year and he said most Sportbacks in 'alpine' countries have the roof rails as it helps to keep the snow on the roof and stop in from dropping inside the car if it has snowed during the day (their cars are usually put in the garage at night!). The same principle as the metal bars they have on their house roofs to help to stop the snow from sliding off and down you neck as you open the house door in the morning.

My gf smokes, not heavily. 3/4 cigs a day, no smoking in the A3, if she thinks she can smoke in the £29k car then she can think again!

h5djr said:
Did you go for the option roof (snow) rails?

I was taking to an Austrian Sportback driver last year and he said most Sportbacks in 'alpine' countries have the roof rails as it helps to keep the snow on the roof and stop in from dropping inside the car if it has snowed during the day (their cars are usually put in the garage at night!). The same principle as the metal bars they have on their house roofs to help to stop the snow from sliding off and down you neck as you open the house door in the morning.
that might stop it falling off the sides, but I was driving today and had the windscreen and rear screen cleared of snow by leaving it running with the heater on before I got in. About two minutes from my house I applied the brakes for the first time as I approached a bad bend and the screen went blank. All the snow slid off the roof and covered the windscreen. I can only assume that if the rails stop the snow falling off the sides that even more would accumulate on the roof and slide down the screen under braking.

bowfer said:
I went for the optional 'wet seat when door opens' pack.
Actually, I think that pack is standard.:)

That well and truely made me laugh out loud!!!

that might stop it falling off the sides, but I was driving today and had the windscreen and rear screen cleared of snow by leaving it running with the heater on before I got in. About two minutes from my house I applied the brakes for the first time as I approached a bad bend and the screen went blank. All the snow slid off the roof and covered the windscreen. I can only assume that if the rails stop the snow falling off the sides that even more would accumulate on the roof and slide down the screen under braking.

The snow will only accumulate when your are parked. Surely you should brush the snow off the roof before you drive away - a legal requirement in 'alpine' countries.

the wind deflectors look like they will solve the problem
http://www.climairuk.com/climair/product.php?productid=69&cat=0&page=1

front-def-l-35.jpg

you mean the windows actually work? mine keep jamming at the top

good on you, my ex boyfriend tried to smoke in mine! not a chance!
sophie