'Pulsating' lights

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Noticed today, there is a perceptible 'pulsating' to my lights when the car is idling.
Most noticeable on the interior light and the stereo display.
Very slightly noticeable when the headlights are reflected on the rear of a stationary car in traffic too.
WTF is going wrong now?
Rectifier or summit?

thats interesting - noticed that on mine too but only on stereo panel and only a very faint flicker. haven't noticed on interior lighting or headlamps, just the stereo display.

Switch your interior light on and see if it does the same.
ta.

just been to try it - interior light flickers very slightly at same time.... oooohhhh s%$&...... so what could that be then? BTW mine is a 55 plate 2.0TDI Q. Jonathan

I'm going rectifier/regulator, but that's only based on bike experience.
I'll keep an eye, see if it gets worse.
You can let me know if yours gets worse too.
Mine is an '05 2.0tdi, BTW.
I don't think it means an impending breakdown, so no great panic.

bowfer said:
I'm going rectifier/regulator, but that's only based on bike experience.
I'll keep an eye, see if it gets worse.
You can let me know if yours gets worse too.
Mine is an '05 2.0tdi, BTW.
I don't think it means an impending breakdown, so no great panic.
ok will let you know if mine gets worse, presume yours still under warranty? cheers

bowfer said:
Noticed today, there is a perceptible 'pulsating' to my lights when the car is idling.
Most noticeable on the interior light and the stereo display.
Very slightly noticeable when the headlights are reflected on the rear of a stationary car in traffic too.
WTF is going wrong now?
Rectifier or summit?

Probably due to your 'bleeding awful DSG 'gearbox' ??:icon_thumright:

You would be well advised to check earthing points on and around the engine/alternator. Most alternators/diodepacks/regulators returned as defective are not.

jonathans said:
ok will let you know if mine gets worse, presume yours still under warranty? cheers

Just!
Matter of weeks to go.
Dunno whether to get it fixed or just return the car to the lease company 'as is'.
If it gets a lot worse, I'll get it sorted.
Don't want to hand it back looking like some crap disco.:idea:

My old 8L S3 used to have the stereo and interior lights dim in time with the bass when the stereo was on. I have seen a few cars that do this when idling too. It's just the amount of power coming from the alternator when the car is idling is quite low. Nothing to worry about as it happens to some extent on most cars (although it may be so slight you don't notice it).

Garth_S3 said:
My old 8L S3 used to have the stereo and interior lights dim in time with the bass when the stereo was on. I have seen a few cars that do this when idling too. It's just the amount of power coming from the alternator when the car is idling is quite low. Nothing to worry about as it happens to some extent on most cars (although it may be so slight you don't notice it).

Fair enough, but doesn't the fact that it's become particularly noticeable, after nigh on three years of ownership, suggest a problem?

Its happened to some degree or another on pretty much every car I've had, I'd class it as normal.

My 1999 A3 does it, but only when the stereo is pumping. Not bad just slightly. I used to have an oldschool mini too and that did it with the bass as well.

yeah, my A3 does too, same year as yours Bowfer, AFAIK its always done it