Chris NottVolks Autos
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602

    'Pulsating' lights

    Noticed today, there is a perceptible 'pulsating' to my lights when the car is idling.
    Most noticeable on the interior light and the stereo display.
    Very slightly noticeable when the headlights are reflected on the rear of a stationary car in traffic too.
    WTF is going wrong now?
    Rectifier or summit?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15
    thats interesting - noticed that on mine too but only on stereo panel and only a very faint flicker. haven't noticed on interior lighting or headlamps, just the stereo display.

  4. #3
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Switch your interior light on and see if it does the same.
    ta.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15
    just been to try it - interior light flickers very slightly at same time.... oooohhhh s%$&...... so what could that be then? BTW mine is a 55 plate 2.0TDI Q. Jonathan

  6. #5
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    I'm going rectifier/regulator, but that's only based on bike experience.
    I'll keep an eye, see if it gets worse.
    You can let me know if yours gets worse too.
    Mine is an '05 2.0tdi, BTW.
    I don't think it means an impending breakdown, so no great panic.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    I'm going rectifier/regulator, but that's only based on bike experience.
    I'll keep an eye, see if it gets worse.
    You can let me know if yours gets worse too.
    Mine is an '05 2.0tdi, BTW.
    I don't think it means an impending breakdown, so no great panic.
    ok will let you know if mine gets worse, presume yours still under warranty? cheers

  8. #7
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Noticed today, there is a perceptible 'pulsating' to my lights when the car is idling.
    Most noticeable on the interior light and the stereo display.
    Very slightly noticeable when the headlights are reflected on the rear of a stationary car in traffic too.
    WTF is going wrong now?
    Rectifier or summit?
    Probably due to your 'bleeding awful DSG 'gearbox' ??

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    435
    You would be well advised to check earthing points on and around the engine/alternator. Most alternators/diodepacks/regulators returned as defective are not.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

  10. #9
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathans
    ok will let you know if mine gets worse, presume yours still under warranty? cheers
    Just!
    Matter of weeks to go.
    Dunno whether to get it fixed or just return the car to the lease company 'as is'.
    If it gets a lot worse, I'll get it sorted.
    Don't want to hand it back looking like some crap disco.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  11. #10
    Garth_S3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    -
    Posts
    159
    My old 8L S3 used to have the stereo and interior lights dim in time with the bass when the stereo was on. I have seen a few cars that do this when idling too. It's just the amount of power coming from the alternator when the car is idling is quite low. Nothing to worry about as it happens to some extent on most cars (although it may be so slight you don't notice it).

  12. #11
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth_S3
    My old 8L S3 used to have the stereo and interior lights dim in time with the bass when the stereo was on. I have seen a few cars that do this when idling too. It's just the amount of power coming from the alternator when the car is idling is quite low. Nothing to worry about as it happens to some extent on most cars (although it may be so slight you don't notice it).
    Fair enough, but doesn't the fact that it's become particularly noticeable, after nigh on three years of ownership, suggest a problem?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    310
    Its happened to some degree or another on pretty much every car I've had, I'd class it as normal.

  14. #13
    Redhot006's Avatar
    Standard A3 1.9 TDI 110bhp

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Crewe
    Posts
    44
    My 1999 A3 does it, but only when the stereo is pumping. Not bad just slightly. I used to have an oldschool mini too and that did it with the bass as well.

  15. #14
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    yeah, my A3 does too, same year as yours Bowfer, AFAIK its always done it

  16. #15
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,224
    Battery problem maybe?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.



    Gone but not forgotten

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO