Nurburgring .. Tyre question

rcourtney

Reaction score
Happy New Year all,

Am planning a 2 day trip to the Ring in March. I just have a quick question with regard to tyres ..

I'm new to the ring and so not going to be pushing too hard. What sort of wear would you expect ?? Am I going to need to replace all four corners on my return ?

Thanks in advance for any help

How many laps you planning on doing??
Surely tyre wear isn't going to be an issue.:scared2:
It's only 13 miles per lap, after all.
It would take a serious amount of laps at some serious speed to wear out road tyres.:think:

Thanks thats good.

Have 2 days of unlimited lapping .. have never been so am not sure how many laps are realistic.

Guess my question was really about how tough the Ring is on tyres

I've no direct experience in cars, it just stands to reason.
I've indirect knowledge based on bikes, but they certainly don't mention spectacular wear rates at all.

The 'ring isn't too hard on tyres or brakes...
If you really push, you'll understeer and scrub your fronts...but keep it smooth and you'll have no more wear than on a good hard 'B' road thrash.

Brakes also don't seem too bad as they have plenty of time between applications to cool down.

If you drive gung-ho, spinning wheels, sidewards everywhere and all wheels locked on braking, you'll obviously wear tyres...but again not as hard as the likes of Knockhill circuit in the UK.

If you think of the 'ring in terms of a close stretch of road, you're not far off in terms of tarmac grippiness and tyre and brake wear for your average driver.

One thing to consider is that after a few laps your tyres will be very hot...meaning the pressures will go up.
Best take a tyre pressure gauge with you and let tham back down to nearer normal...then you'll wear the middles less and have more grip overall.
Remember though, that if you drive to your hotel with hot tyres at the end ofthe day...they will be ****** awful the next day when they are cold...so you have to either pump them back up the next morning...or take it easy for a lap or so to get them back up to temperature (what I did)