New Audi S3 audio/comms question

shau

Reaction score
Am new to this site and this is my first post. Am thinking of buying the new S3 in a month or so, but have a couple of questions regarding audio and comms.

1, Does audi supply the S3 with a bluetooth phone system? (Hear they don't for this particular model) What are the other alternatives?

2, Ipod system, if you buy this extra does the song name and artist etc appear on the MMI screen?

Thks

Hi Shau and welcome to the site!

To answer your questions:

No, the S3 does not come with a bluetooth phone system as standard, most have opted for the Bluetooth armrest set up (on dash set up features a fairly ugly bracket on the dash). The armrest system will charge the phone, however an adopter is required at extra cost. Can't remember the cost, but it isn't cheap and does not support all mobile phones. I'm sure others will advise if the real life pro's and con's of the system. It's one option I didn't spec, but wish I had!

With regards the i-pod system. no, you can not see track names in the MMI screen. You have to set your i-pod up so the first 5 playlists are the one's you want to listen to in the car as the system links to the stereo through the CD aux cable. This essentially means your i-pod is treated like the 6cd changer, so the first 5 playlist are the first 5 discs, the '6th CD' is where you we're last in your i-pod music. The system is handy, but in my opinion flawed for the price. Also, the qulaity of the music drops when matched with the BOSE system, as BOSE recognises the audio qualtiy is lower than a CD and proptects itself by lowering the max volume and the level of bass.

If you're ordering a new S3 from the factory, they are now coming with an AUX in port for free, meaning you can plug your iPOD in. This won't charge your ipod and you'll have to select music manually, but like I say, this is a free feature!

Hope that helps!

JK

jamiekip said:
Hi Shau and welcome to the site!

To answer your questions:

No, the S3 does not come with a bluetooth phone system as standard, most have opted for the Bluetooth armrest set up (on dash set up features a fairly ugly bracket on the dash). The armrest system will charge the phone, however an adopter is required at extra cost. Can't remember the cost, but it isn't cheap and does not support all mobile phones. I'm sure others will advise if the real life pro's and con's of the system. It's one option I didn't spec, but wish I had!

With regards the i-pod system. no, you can not see track names in the MMI screen. You have to set your i-pod up so the first 5 playlists are the one's you want to listen to in the car as the system links to the stereo through the CD aux cable. This essentially means your i-pod is treated like the 6cd changer, so the first 5 playlist are the first 5 discs, the '6th CD' is where you we're last in your i-pod music. The system is handy, but in my opinion flawed for the price. Also, the qulaity of the music drops when matched with the BOSE system, as BOSE recognises the audio qualtiy is lower than a CD and proptects itself by lowering the max volume and the level of bass.

If you're ordering a new S3 from the factory, they are now coming with an AUX in port for free, meaning you can plug your iPOD in. This won't charge your ipod and you'll have to select music manually, but like I say, this is a free feature!

Hope that helps!

JK

Spot on Jamie .. To Clarify it is only POST week 48 A3/TT and I believe R8 that come with Aux socket. My dealer took a while to find out/confirm..

Any idea what MP3 iPod I should buy to load circa 40 Albums on?

Cheers:hubbahubba:

jamiekip said:
The armrest system will charge the phone, however an adopter is required at extra cost. Can't remember the cost, but it isn't cheap and does not support all mobile phones.

The adapters cost around £100 and are normally only available for older phones. When used the phone will, as you rightly say be charged by the car and will also use the sharkfin on the roof as the phone antenna.

RGBArgee said:
Spot on Jamie .. To Clarify it is only POST week 48 A3/TT and I believe R8 that come with Aux socket. My dealer took a while to find out/confirm..

Any idea what MP3 iPod I should buy to load circa 40 Albums on?

Cheers:hubbahubba:

Smallest one you can get would surfice really.
I've used about 25 gig of mine and have backed up all my music c500 albums as well as loads of stuff through itunes and loads of video podcasts!!!

Here you go... This is the phone holder...

Audi4.jpg

This is the dash mounted holder (next to air vent)....

VehicleImage.axd

What about fitting the factory DVD but adding Alpine mobile hub pro ? you can then add amps, monitors and ipod, some of it has to be controled by the remote but track listings etc all show up.