AH FabricationsChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Symphony II+ value?

Despite being slightly disappointed in the firmware of my RNS-E I have to decided to stick with it. So I have a virtually new Symphony II+ "spare". I can't decide whether to keep it to put in the car when I sell, and sell the RNS-E seperately, or sell it now and leave the RNS-E in when I sell the car.

To help make a decision I need to know 3 things.

1) What would the Symphony II+ be worth now? (haven't seen any on Ebay to judge)

2) What difference to trade-in (when 3 years old) would RNS-E over Symphony II+ make.

3) Would the dealer care/know that the RNS-E was a retrofit and would that make a difference to the trade-in price?

Any views appreciated
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Cars with the satnav do sell for a higher premium, as much as 1K I did read somewhere. I also have a spare Concert II+ hiding under the bed and I'm sure there's a few more out there too.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffT
    To help make a decision I need to know 3 things.

1) What would the Symphony II+ be worth now? (haven't seen any on Ebay to judge)

2) What difference to trade-in (when 3 years old) would RNS-E over Symphony II+ make.

3) Would the dealer care/know that the RNS-E was a retrofit and would that make a difference to the trade-in price?

Any views appreciated
    1) Seen some go on Ebay between 100 + 150

2) Not a huge difference on a 3 year old car IMHO, but certainlys makes it easier to sell and more attractive over a car without Nav.

3) The dealer would know it was retro'd if they checked your factory options but on a 3 year old car I doubt they would be bothered wether it was retro or not.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    Cars with the satnav do sell for a higher premium, as much as 1K I did read somewhere.
    Well if thats true, and I guess it's possible as it's 2K new as an option, I would certainly be better of leaving the RNS-E in than selling it separately for 400 to 500.

I just need to find out how much my Symphony II+ is worth. As an option it was about 250 (on top of the Concert). Wish I'd stuck with the Concert and saved the cash for the RNS-E now, but at the time I wasn't planning to retrofit the RNS-E.
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
    1) Seen some go on Ebay between 100 + 150
    Really? For a Symphony II+ ?

In that case I'll probably just hang on to it in case the RNS-E ever goes wrong.

5th Gear

Status
    Really? For a Symphony II+ ?

In that case I'll probably just hang on to it in case the RNS-E ever goes wrong.
    Yes, it was on ebay.de though. There are often quite a few for sale on there.

Dont for get you can buy the RNS-E for 400 or less these days so I reckon you'd be lucky to find someone who'd pay 300 for a Symphony 2+. Never say never though I guess.

A 1K premium for nav could be the case on a car that was six months old maybe, but no way will it command 1K on a car that is three or more years old. Thats what my Audi dealer told me anyways.
    Last edited by Issac Hunt; 2nd January 2008 at 17:48.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
    Yes, it was on ebay.de though. There are often quite a few for sale on there.

A 1K premium for nav could be the case on a car that was six months old maybe, but no way will it command 1K on a car that is three or more years old. Thats what my Audi dealer told me anyways.
    I agree. Symphony not worth 265, but it would be cheaper to retrofit RNS I believe as Concert requires more dash bits .. see www.telsatnav.com/

TT

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBArgee
    I agree. Symphony not worth 265, but it would be cheaper to retrofit RNS I believe as Concert requires more dash bits .. see www.telsatnav.com/

TT
    Not for the latest units - the Concert is double DIN and same physically as the Symphony.

1st Gear

Status
    Just spotted this - will be interested to see what they get.

Ebay link
    Last edited by GeoffT; 2nd January 2008 at 18:24.

5th Gear

Status
    Can you play MP3 CD's on Symphone II+ units?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino
    Can you play MP3 CD's on Symphone II+ units?
    Yes

5th Gear

Status
    i think there will be a difference in price for a car 'factory fitted' with sat nav and a car 'retro-fitted' like anything else the former is documented to the car - ie the code for that option is in the logbook and on the chassis.

Given the choice between a standard car and a sat nav retro fit i would choose the sat nav retro-fit car and be willing to pay extra - given the option between two sat nav cars - one fitted factory, one fitted retro, i would feel safer sticking with the factory fitted version and paying a bit more

Status
    I sold my Symphony II on eBay for £75 (to a guy in France!). There's little point in going through the headache of removing the RNS-E to put the Symphony II back, and as well as perhaps adding a drop of value to your car it will definitely be easier to sell with sat nav.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

1st Gear

Status
    Just my experience, but when I sold mine the delears could not give two hoots about the RNS-E. They were giving me the same price with or with out it. In fact they salesman said that I would be better of removing it and selling it myself, so that I would be better off!

No doubting you may sell it easier on a private sale, but the car is certainly not worth more with it in. Everyone always try to quote extras to bump the price of the car up on trade in, but the dealers do just not care until it comes to them flogging the car again!!!

57 Plate Imola Yellow S3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by terrymcg
    Just my experience, but when I sold mine the delears could not give two hoots about the RNS-E.
    I bet the dealers don't mention that when trying to get us to part with 2k as an option when new!!!!

I reckon if the Symphony is only worth 75/100, I'll hang on to it just in case I ever have any problems with the RNS-E which is the only part of the car not covered by warranty.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by terrymcg
    Everyone always try to quote extras to bump the price of the car up on trade in, but the dealers do just not care until it comes to them flogging the car again!!!
    Well said. (er typed)

1st Gear

Status
    Oh well, that makes my mind up. The Symphony II+ on Ebay went for the princely sum of 62.

Ebay link

Definitely going to hang on to mine if that is all they fetch.

4th Gear

Status
    Oh well, that makes my mind up. The Symphony II+ on Ebay went for the princely sum of 62.

Ebay link

Definitely going to hang on to mine if that is all they fetch.
    Yeah was watching that auction just to see how it went. Finished at 62 but was only 50 until about 1 min before the end. I was quite surprised by the low final price.

I guess Christmas (or just after) wasn't the best time to try and get a good price. Not many have much spare cash the first few weeks in Januray.

The Symphony II+ generally go for much more than this.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

1st Gear

Status
    I don't think the description even said it played MP3 CDs - that can't have helped the price.

RGBArgee
    Not for the latest units - the Concert is double DIN and same physically as the Symphony.
    I thought the issue was around the multi CD input!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBArgee
    I thought the issue was around the multi CD input!
    Sorry - I don't understand that comment.

If you are referring back to your earlier post and my reply to it, the latest Concert and Symphony are both physically the same size. The only difference being that the Symphony has a built-in 6 disc CD player. So there is no difference between the 2 when it comes to retrofitting an RNS-E.

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Please excuse my ignorance but is the only difference between the current Symphony and Concert models that the prior has a 6 disc changer? Is the speaker set up the same? Audi told me that the current Concert produces 140 watts and is loud enough but is it really? How is the sound quality on this unit if you compare it to other manufacturers say for example the standard unit on the MkV Golf Primeline? Any logic to upgrade to Bose? How many speakers are included in the set-up for the Concert? 6 or 8?

Dorsprung Turch Vechnique

Status
    GLASGOW RANGERS?

People should leave the football out of this forum, no need.
    2003 - A3 Volcanic Black 1.6i 8L
    2004 - A3 Ming Blue 1.8TQ 8L
    2005 - A3 Dolphin Grey 2.0FSI 8P
    2006 - Driving sabbatical ;-)
    2007 - A3 Ibis White 2.0TFSI 8p
    2009 - A3 Monza Silver BE 2.0 TDI 8p

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Can you answer the question please and stay on topic?

5th Gear

Status
    Speaker set-up is the same, your correct in saying the only real difference is that symphony II+ incorporates 6CD changer(which can play MP3 CD's)

Is BOSE worth it? In my opinion no, it doesnt sound radically better than normal. Some people have commented that the Bass sounds better with the standard setup! Best bet is to listen to it yourself and decide.

Much better would be to invest the cost of BOSE in a quality aftermarket setup, then you will notice a big difference in sound quality!
    A6 3.0 TDI.

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Thanks mate that was useful and also what I wanted to hear. I'm not interested in all that ICE stuff. I just wanted to know that the car I've bought has a quality sound system and you seem to think it does. In my opinion there isn't much need for the 6 disc changer either as the car has mp3 capability. All the best.