Symphony II+ value?

GeoffT

Reaction score
Despite being slightly disappointed in the firmware of my RNS-E I have to decided to stick with it. So I have a virtually new Symphony II+ "spare". I can't decide whether to keep it to put in the car when I sell, and sell the RNS-E seperately, or sell it now and leave the RNS-E in when I sell the car.

To help make a decision I need to know 3 things.

1) What would the Symphony II+ be worth now? (haven't seen any on Ebay to judge)

2) What difference to trade-in (when 3 years old) would RNS-E over Symphony II+ make.

3) Would the dealer care/know that the RNS-E was a retrofit and would that make a difference to the trade-in price?

Any views appreciated

Cars with the satnav do sell for a higher premium, as much as £1K I did read somewhere. I also have a spare Concert II+ hiding under the bed and I'm sure there's a few more out there too.

GeoffT said:
To help make a decision I need to know 3 things.

1) What would the Symphony II+ be worth now? (haven't seen any on Ebay to judge)

2) What difference to trade-in (when 3 years old) would RNS-E over Symphony II+ make.

3) Would the dealer care/know that the RNS-E was a retrofit and would that make a difference to the trade-in price?

Any views appreciated

1) Seen some go on Ebay between £100 + £150

2) Not a huge difference on a 3 year old car IMHO, but certainlys makes it easier to sell and more attractive over a car without Nav.

3) The dealer would know it was retro'd if they checked your factory options but on a 3 year old car I doubt they would be bothered wether it was retro or not.

JohnS3 said:
Cars with the satnav do sell for a higher premium, as much as £1K I did read somewhere.

Well if thats true, and I guess it's possible as it's 2K new as an option, I would certainly be better of leaving the RNS-E in than selling it separately for £400 to £500.

I just need to find out how much my Symphony II+ is worth. As an option it was about £250 (on top of the Concert). Wish I'd stuck with the Concert and saved the cash for the RNS-E now, but at the time I wasn't planning to retrofit the RNS-E.

Issac Hunt said:
1) Seen some go on Ebay between £100 + £150

Really? :sadlike: For a Symphony II+ ?

In that case I'll probably just hang on to it in case the RNS-E ever goes wrong.

GeoffT said:
Really? :sadlike: For a Symphony II+ ?

In that case I'll probably just hang on to it in case the RNS-E ever goes wrong.

Yes, it was on ebay.de though. There are often quite a few for sale on there.

Dont for get you can buy the RNS-E for £400 or less these days so I reckon you'd be lucky to find someone who'd pay £300 for a Symphony 2+. Never say never though I guess.

A £1K premium for nav could be the case on a car that was six months old maybe, but no way will it command £1K on a car that is three or more years old. Thats what my Audi dealer told me anyways.

Issac Hunt said:
Yes, it was on ebay.de though. There are often quite a few for sale on there.

A £1K premium for nav could be the case on a car that was six months old maybe, but no way will it command £1K on a car that is three or more years old. Thats what my Audi dealer told me anyways.

I agree. Symphony not worth 265, but it would be cheaper to retrofit RNS I believe as Concert requires more dash bits .. see www.telsatnav.com/

TT
:hubbahubba:

RGBArgee said:
I agree. Symphony not worth 265, but it would be cheaper to retrofit RNS I believe as Concert requires more dash bits .. see www.telsatnav.com/

TT
:hubbahubba:

Not for the latest units - the Concert is double DIN and same physically as the Symphony.

Can you play MP3 CD's on Symphone II+ units?

i think there will be a difference in price for a car 'factory fitted' with sat nav and a car 'retro-fitted' like anything else the former is documented to the car - ie the code for that option is in the logbook and on the chassis.

Given the choice between a standard car and a sat nav retro fit i would choose the sat nav retro-fit car and be willing to pay extra - given the option between two sat nav cars - one fitted factory, one fitted retro, i would feel safer sticking with the factory fitted version and paying a bit more

I sold my Symphony II on eBay for £75 (to a guy in France!). There's little point in going through the headache of removing the RNS-E to put the Symphony II back, and as well as perhaps adding a drop of value to your car it will definitely be easier to sell with sat nav.

Just my experience, but when I sold mine the delears could not give two hoots about the RNS-E. They were giving me the same price with or with out it. In fact they salesman said that I would be better of removing it and selling it myself, so that I would be better off!

No doubting you may sell it easier on a private sale, but the car is certainly not worth more with it in. Everyone always try to quote extras to bump the price of the car up on trade in, but the dealers do just not care until it comes to them flogging the car again!!!

terrymcg said:
Just my experience, but when I sold mine the delears could not give two hoots about the RNS-E.

I bet the dealers don't mention that when trying to get us to part with £2k as an option when new!!!!

I reckon if the Symphony is only worth £75/100, I'll hang on to it just in case I ever have any problems with the RNS-E which is the only part of the car not covered by warranty.

terrymcg said:
Everyone always try to quote extras to bump the price of the car up on trade in, but the dealers do just not care until it comes to them flogging the car again!!!

Well said. (er typed)

Oh well, that makes my mind up. The Symphony II+ on Ebay went for the princely sum of £62.

Ebay link

Definitely going to hang on to mine if that is all they fetch.

GeoffT said:
Oh well, that makes my mind up. The Symphony II+ on Ebay went for the princely sum of £62.

Ebay link

Definitely going to hang on to mine if that is all they fetch.

Yeah was watching that auction just to see how it went. Finished at £62 but was only £50 until about 1 min before the end. I was quite surprised by the low final price.

I guess Christmas (or just after) wasn't the best time to try and get a good price. Not many have much spare cash the first few weeks in Januray.

The Symphony II+ generally go for much more than this.

I don't think the description even said it played MP3 CDs - that can't have helped the price.

GeoffT said:
Not for the latest units - the Concert is double DIN and same physically as the Symphony.

I thought the issue was around the multi CD input!

RGBArgee said:
I thought the issue was around the multi CD input!

Sorry - I don't understand that comment.

If you are referring back to your earlier post and my reply to it, the latest Concert and Symphony are both physically the same size. The only difference being that the Symphony has a built-in 6 disc CD player. So there is no difference between the 2 when it comes to retrofitting an RNS-E.

Please excuse my ignorance but is the only difference between the current Symphony and Concert models that the prior has a 6 disc changer? Is the speaker set up the same? Audi told me that the current Concert produces 140 watts and is loud enough but is it really? How is the sound quality on this unit if you compare it to other manufacturers say for example the standard unit on the MkV Golf Primeline? Any logic to upgrade to Bose? How many speakers are included in the set-up for the Concert? 6 or 8?

GLASGOW RANGERS?

People should leave the football out of this forum, no need.

Speaker set-up is the same, your correct in saying the only real difference is that symphony II+ incorporates 6CD changer(which can play MP3 CD's)

Is BOSE worth it? In my opinion no, it doesnt sound radically better than normal. Some people have commented that the Bass sounds better with the standard setup! Best bet is to listen to it yourself and decide.

Much better would be to invest the cost of BOSE in a quality aftermarket setup, then you will notice a big difference in sound quality!

Thanks mate that was useful and also what I wanted to hear. I'm not interested in all that ICE stuff. I just wanted to know that the car I've bought has a quality sound system and you seem to think it does. In my opinion there isn't much need for the 6 disc changer either as the car has mp3 capability. All the best.