Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

Quirks of the A3 DSG S Line

my girlie has fell inlove with an A3 S-Line TDI DSG

What should I be looking out for? She's going to drive it in the morning.

is Ł14k good price for an Audi garage car with 53K on clock?
    It's Mauritius blue and just had 1300 spent on it (tyres, service, timing belt, DSG oil and filter)

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Ian
    2004 AUDI A3 S-LINE DSG TDi
    MAURITIUS BLUE
    2005 BMW 120d M Sport 163+
    BLACK SAPPHIRE

2. # ADS
    ADS

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout99
    my girlie has fell inlove with an A3 S-Line TDI DSG

What should I be looking out for? She's going to drive it in the morning.

is Ł14k good price for an Audi garage car with 53K on clock?
    It's Mauritius blue and just had 1300 spent on it (tyres, service, timing belt, DSG oil and filter)

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Ian
    How old is it? Any other spec details? wheels? Is it leather etc

1st Gear

Status
    why timing belt done already - 53k miles?
    not due until 80k, and NO franchised Audi dealer will change the belt THAT early....
    Also, how recent was that 1300 quid spent - the DSG oil & filter change is due WAY before 53k, at 40k....
    09/04 - 07/08: A3 2.0 TDi Sport DSG: Lava Grey; Xenons.

5th Gear

Status
    Timing belt is 80k or 4 years ? so it might be about right presuming its an 04 car.

Neutral

Status
    what engine is it?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    is it 04/54 plate?

2nd Gear

Status
    it's an 04 54 S Line 2.0 TDI

18's + half leather + light pack

I'm only presuming the timing belt was done. Definitely had DSG service and tyres. I don't know much about the 2.0 TDi
    2004 AUDI A3 S-LINE DSG TDi
    MAURITIUS BLUE
    2005 BMW 120d M Sport 163+
    BLACK SAPPHIRE

6th Gear

Status
    I would make sure that she is happy with the DSG traits so a good lengthy test drive is in order. I would suggest with pleanty of mixed driving in traffic etc.

You either love or hate the DSG box.
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gti Jazz Blue
    I would make sure that she is happy with the DSG traits so a good lengthy test drive is in order. I would suggest with pleanty of mixed driving in traffic etc.

You either love or hate the DSG box.
    Agree with above plus price sounds about right as a starting point, get negotiating...
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Neutral

Status
    Whilst my SE is with the dealer for the steering rack to be replaced I have a 57 reg 2.0 TDi S line manual - I'm afraid the term 'poverty spec' springs to mind.

Apart from leather seats it has lots missing. No auto wipers, pain when it's snowing, no auto lights, pain when you put them on then forget to turn them off, no cruise control and I'm afraid on our local pothole roads the ride is unacceptable.

I'm also really missing the DSG - the 'press clutch to start' procedure is proving a nightmare. Despite 10 minutes trying to sort the seat and steering wheel positions you have to push the clutch in far further when you want to start the car than you do to change gear.

If I set the seat so I can start it I'm too close and braking is uncomfortable, move the seat back and my left leg needs to be fully extended to start the car - I have stalled the car this morning at a set of lights and restarting it was difficult. Clutch was in, but obviously not far enough (but enough to change gear) and turning the key resulted in nothing.

If you want an S-line find one with plenty of extras.
    07 2.0TDi (170) SE DSG Sportback.
    Lava Grey (when it's clean!)
    5 spoke 17 inch alloys upgrade
    Reversing sensors
    No smoking pack

Warranty issues to date:

New steering rack - 8,000 miles
    Slight coolant loss - 12,000 miles
    New drive shafts and engine mounts - 18,500 miles
    New mechatronic unit for DSG box and replacement ducting for cooling system 19,900 miles

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyjp
    Whilst my SE is with the dealer for the steering rack to be replaced I have a 57 reg 2.0 TDi S line manual - I'm afraid the term 'poverty spec' springs to mind.

Apart from leather seats it has lots missing. No auto wipers, pain when it's snowing, no auto lights, pain when you put them on then forget to turn them off, no cruise control and I'm afraid on our local pothole roads the ride is unacceptable.

If you want an S-line find one with plenty of extras.
    What a load of nonsense!
    Having to put the wipers and lights on yourself hardly means it's "poverty spec!"
    Same with the cruise control.
    Jesus, what a mollycoddled bloke you must be!
    I take your point about the ride though.
    It is hard, but it also boasts far better body control than the wibbly-wobbly SE.
    Poor body control will always annoy me more often than a hard ride.
    This is obviously the distinction made by Audi, between the SE and S-line.
    One is for people more concerned with comfort, one is for people who drive harder.
    Or those that want to be perceived as a harder driver...but that's a whole different argument.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 3rd January 2008 at 13:07.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Neutral

Status
    I'm afraid after nearly three years with A3s fitted with auto lights and wipers they are now on my essential list.

They are no different to power steering, power windows and central locking to me - or would you buy a car without these "mollycoddling" features?
    Reversing sensors
    No smoking pack

Warranty issues to date:

New mechatronic unit for DSG box and replacement ducting for cooling system 19,900 miles

5th Gear

Status
    nope, i've got an S Line, but it does have auto lights and dimming mirror ! I prefer the firmer suspension though

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Auto lights and wipers - for lazy people in my opinion.

When I drive I'm 100% in control and know what's going on with the car, weather, traffic, etc etc. The more you automate, the more you become a 'drone' to the car and the more likely you are to fall asleep or do something because you're not paying attention.

And since when does it snow enough here for that to be an issue?

Mellow Yellow

Status
    haha just read Davey's sig too, he's clearly one of the more mature Audi drivers..

walnut trim, reversing sensors and calls 17" wheels an upgrade... perhaps you'd prefer the softer ride of 16" wheels Davy??

I'm not ageist, but there are certain features of cars/driving which always seem to go hand in hand with older drivers.

1st Gear

Status
    It's quite interesting to see the replies from people on what extras are for young/old and for those that want to drive hard/soft.

I'm 28 and have ordered a tdi s-line 170 quattro with light and rain sensors , cruise control AND parking sensors. I consider myself to drive relatively hard and anyone who thinks these extras are for old men is a bit of an idiot.

I drive fast most of the time but still use the cruise to do so, also light sensors are great if you're blasting into a tunnel and don't want to take your eyes off the road to put the lights on. Parking sensors enable me to reverse quickly and easily only having to glance in the rearview.

It's all about what you want in a car. I don't want to be 'mollycoddled' but if there's mindless tasks to be done (like turning on and off lights) why not have the car do them for you?

Anyone who says light/rain senors are for old men is a total hypocrit. They will be standard on all cars in the not too distant future.
    Do you whine about central heating being for lazy people too? Why don't you get off your arse and light a fire instead of being lazy and letting the thermostat control the temp in your house!

Not wanting to start arguments, just putting things in perspective...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth_S3
    I'm 28 and have ordered a tdi s-line 170 quattro with light and rain sensors , cruise control AND parking sensors. I consider myself to drive relatively hard and anyone who thinks these extras are for old men is a bit of an idiot.

I drive fast most of the time but still use the cruise to do so, also light sensors are great if you're blasting into a tunnel and don't want to take your eyes off the road to put the lights on.
    I don't think age has anything to do with it, but auto lights and wipers are hardly essentials.
    Your suggestion that auto-lights are a safety boon is dubious too.
    I don't have to take my eyes off the road to switch my lights on, why do you?
    It's not as if Audi have put the switch in the bloody glovebox.
    It's readily to hand, takes a split second to do.
    In fact, there is an argument that says you should be switching your lights on before blasting into a tunnel, not waiting for auto-lights to react to the darkness, by which time you could have travelled many yards, no matter how quickly they react themselves.
    This is what leads to the 'lazy bloke' argument.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 4th January 2008 at 09:17.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Your suggestion that auto-lights are a safety boon is dubious too.
    I don't have to take my eyes off the road to switch my lights on, why do you?
    I can see your point on this, but when you drive as many cars as I do (at least 4 different models in a given month) then it is not second nature when they all have a different light switch. In this case, auto lights and wipers definately ARE a safety bonus. It means I do not have to think where is the light switch in this car? then turn them on.
    I do not know what the auto lights are like in the A3, but in the 2 BMW's I drive (330cd and Z4), they react so quickly that they are on before I would have got to the switch myself anyway.

I understand that people will say these kind of things are for lazy people, but I remember when electric windows with a 'one touch' feature were starting to become mainstream and some of my mates said they were for lazy people. Would they say the same now? I think not as they all have them and not many people I know would want to go back to manual windows winders, would you honestly?

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyjp
    I'm afraid after nearly three years with A3s fitted with auto lights and wipers they are now on my essential list.

They are no different to power steering, power windows and central locking to me - or would you buy a car without these "mollycoddling" features?
    Have got Auto Lights and wipers on an 06 Mini we have in the family (ex demo with all options bar Sat Nav!) and on my previous 07 A6, IMHO Auto lights and wipers are a pain in the ar**. I would not pay extra for them!!

Cheers

R

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth_S3
    I understand that people will say these kind of things are for lazy people, but I remember when electric windows with a 'one touch' feature were starting to become mainstream and some of my mates said they were for lazy people. Would they say the same now? I think not as they all have them and not many people I know would want to go back to manual windows winders, would you honestly?
    A good point.
    I must admit though, I view electric windows differently, as the biggest problem with manual ones was always winding down the passenger one!
    I wouldn't entertain a car without electric windows, but it'll be a long time before I consider auto wipers/lights in the same way.
    If they ever come standard though, fine.

Neutral

Status
    Too many issues to respond to but lets just say I was happy to return the manual S line which managed all of 29 mpg over 70 miles of urban motoring.
    Reversing sensors
    No smoking pack

Warranty issues to date:

5th Gear

Status
    If the Auto Wipers are anything like they are on my Dads MK5 Golf then they are more hassle than they are worth!

Does cheese me a bit though that the S-line doesn't come with cruise control as standard
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

4th Gear

Status
    the auto wipers are useful in that the range of speeds / wipe frequencies is far wider than the 3 or 4 options for the intermittent wipe without auto.

for that reason i would have the auto option - the auto lights - we could argue all day but if the technology can do it anyway, then why not? assuming the price isnt too much

i have had 3 audis and the intermittent wipe is always just not enough or too much where as the auto wipe is much more appropriate.

as for other options - each to their own - thats why they are on the option list so that cheapskates can miss out the things they dont value.....ha ha
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp