EM TuningChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

Status

Should I Wait For The A3 Facelift?

Dilema Time.

After suggestions on good Dealers from members of this forum, I now have deals that I am happy with for the purchase of a new S3.

However, I have one nagging doubt in the back of my mind. Although Dealers deny it, I believe that there is a faclift due on the A3 in the summer.

I have seen the spy pictures on the the Internet and the facelift appears to be just a new bonnet, rear lights, front bumper and headlights.

Is it worth waiting for?
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

2. # ADS
    ADS

Up the owls!

Status
    No
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

Sepang Blue S3

Status
    Not worth waiting for.
    Enjoy the new S3 whilst you can before the "new" model comes out in 2010.

It will always be an S3 and no one can strip it of that.

Dave
    2012 Porsche Cayman R Peridot Green MY12
    2011 Porsche Cayman S Basalt Black MY08

2010 S3 Sepang Blue MY10
    2009 S3 Imola Yellow MY09
    2007 S3 Solar Orange MY08
    2005 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line 200Bhp MY06 : Misano Red
    2003 A3 2.0Tdi Sport 140Bhp MY04 : Brilliant Black

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Yes a new facelift is due around June/July time, but i don't think the changes will be huge, just new front/rear light clusters like the A3 Cabriolet.

But Audi being Audi may only facelift the A3 first, then the Sportback, then the S3 etc.

You may have a longer wait than you expected.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Third Gear

Status
    Just get one now and enjoy it !!

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep get one now as any changes will be minor.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

1st Gear

Status
    The changes will include the LED running lights I reckon so if you really want those I would wait.
    2003 52 plate Audi S3 Imola Yellow

Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

Status
    That's a good reason to get one now then!

5th Gear

Status
    I agree, not a fan of the led running lights, too chav IMO
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.2 Ju
    Not when they're factory fit imo.
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

5th Gear

Status
    I'd wait to be honest...
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

Ok if they are factory fitted and part of the headlamps, otherwise no thanks.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I wouldn't wait for a facelift model. Get one now!

RGBArgee

A3 changes

I wouldn't bother waiting, the changes appear minor on 3 door (rear lights) and unknown on Sportback.

We just used the possible change as another factor to get a cracking % off list price for MArch 08 delivery. Make sure you get a post week 48 build as you will get a free Aux In socket for your MP3 player!!

TT
    R

5th Gear

Status
    I wondered about waiting but then I wasn't sure if I would actually prefer the facelift or not so went with the current model as I like the look of it. Facelifts dont bother me, an all new model would! But thats not going to happen to 2010 I would imagine which is fine with me

Plus if you hang around waiting for facelifts and updates everytime you buy a car you'll be waiting forever as its a never ending process. And then when you decide you've waited long enough they bring the all new model out and it all starts again! So you cant win either way!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Jas.

Status
    Yip git it now. Its a blast. Waiting for a headlamp Na. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    S3 57 Dolphin Grey.
    MFFBSW,GSM,Cruise,Symphony 6,Bose,
    I-Pod,Rain n Light Pack,Front Arm Rest,Black Optik Grille,BBS Calito'S.

06 A3 2.0T Q S-Line Sportback Spec Ed. Sold
    05 TT Quattro Sport (240 bhp). Sold
    04 A4 1.8T S-Line (190bhp). Sold

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Glover
    SNIPPED Make sure you get a post week 48 build as you will get a free Aux In socket for your MP3 player!!

TT
    R
    You will?? Coool.

And no... dont wait... get one now!! Time to enjoy before the 2010 release of the S3 which will no doubt have many more changes.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for your comments.

I had pretty much decided to go for it. I am not sure that I am very keen on the new look with the 'Surprised' headlights and styling feaure over the bonnet and bumper. I'm not a fan of the LEDs either.

Interesting to hear about the AUX input - not one of the dealers has told me about that.

I'm really looking forward to ordering but not looking forward to the wait. All good things are worth waiting for!
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

1st Gear

Status
    Personally I would wait for the facelift; it'll only come out and you'll wish you had one. Which will only ruin the experience of owning the pre-facelift.

I was waiting for the facelift but I ordered an R32 last weekend instead. That doesn't get replaced until early/mid 2009 and sounds epic!
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_Wilbury
    I was waiting for the facelift but I ordered an R32 last weekend instead. That doesn't get replaced until early/mid 2009 and sounds epic!
    But the all new golf is out this year!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by Splathead
    Thanks for your comments.

I had pretty much decided to go for it. I am not sure that I am very keen on the new look with the 'Surprised' headlights and styling feaure over the bonnet and bumper. I'm not a fan of the LEDs either.

Interesting to hear about the AUX input - not one of the dealers has told me about that.

I'm really looking forward to ordering but not looking forward to the wait. All good things are worth waiting for!
    This link was posted a few days ago, I confirmed with our dealer (who didn't know either!)

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/auxinput.jpg

Cheers

Rick

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983
    But the all new golf is out this year!
    Nope it's been moved back to the beggining/middle of 2009.

Not as if the new R32 will come out straight away either That's at least 2-3 years away
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

1st Gear

Status
    http://www.infomotori.co.uk/a_ENG_21756_2_1.html

Not sure if I like the revamp to be honest and I'm really not sure that I could wait until the summer for the sake of a minor alteration, It's been bad enough waiting 20 weeks for mine. (role on mid Jan)

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by rich32uk
    http://www.infomotori.co.uk/a_ENG_21756_2_1.html

Not sure if I like the revamp to be honest and I'm really not sure that I could wait until the summer for the sake of a minor alteration, It's been bad enough waiting 20 weeks for mine. (role on mid Jan)

Why the long wait, ordered A3 SB and TT Nov 8th. A3 built week 51 (Awaiting ship) and TT build is week 5 (28 Jan). Is your dealer messing you about perhaps!!

Cheers

R

The 'New A3' looks like a foreign spec tarted up model, BTW, same rear lights as current too!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBArgee
    Why the long wait, ordered A3 SB and TT Nov 8th. A3 built week 51 (Awaiting ship) and TT build is week 5 (28 Jan). Is your dealer messing you about perhaps!!

Cheers

R

The 'New A3' looks like a foreign spec tarted up model, BTW, same rear lights as current too!!
    God knows!? I wouldnt mind but it's only bog standard Special Edition. Ordered mine 9th Sept ish, also built 50/51 and is due at the dealer on the 10th January... I've thought about the messing about bit but after asking a few people they've had a similar wait!.

Perhaps I've got entangled with a backlog of orders. I think at one point the delivery dates were 6 months.. (so I believe)..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBArgee
    I wouldn't bother waiting, the changes appear minor on 3 door (rear lights) and unknown on Sportback.

We just used the possible change as another factor to get a cracking % off list price for MArch 08 delivery. Make sure you get a post week 48 build as you will get a free Aux In socket for your MP3 player!!

TT
    R
    Ouch! Mine has arrived at the dealer today and was due week 48 build!! Have I missed this?

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg9
    Ouch! Mine has arrived at the dealer today and was due week 48 build!! Have I missed this?
    be interested to see if you have it. ours is week 51 and dealer is not sure. TT week 05 2008 build will definately have one! Does anyone know if week 48 is start or finish build date??

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/auxinput.jpg

Does anyone know if week 48 is start or finish build date??
    The 'build week' as in week 48 means final assembly and drive off the end of the production line.

Anything scheduled to happen to cars produced in week 48 means it will be applied to any car built during or after the beginning (Monday) of week 48.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Reverse Gear

Status
    When would the first facelift cars:
    a) be ordered
    b) be delivered

ie if the facelift is coming mid 08, is that the date it is formally announced, or the date they are delivered?

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoPops
    When would the first facelift cars:
    a) be ordered
    b) be delivered

ie if the facelift is coming mid 08, is that the date it is formally announced, or the date they are delivered?
    I was told launch models (probably not the full range) should be around late summer for 58 Reg, which is why we have ordered current 'non bling Dame Edna' headlight version!

TT
    R
    Last edited by RGBArgee; 2nd January 2008 at 20:33.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    The 'build week' as in week 48 means final assembly and drive off the end of the production line.

Anything scheduled to happen to cars produced in week 48 means it will be applied to any car built during or after the beginning (Monday) of week 48.
    Well, I'll find out next Thursday when mine gets delivered :D

5th Gear

Status
    i'd be worried about getting an S3 now to be honest - theres defo some changes to the whole range this year and i wouldn't count out a smallish increase in power 280bhp anyone? It's bound to happen, its already lacking well behind bmw 135i in power as it is! And cast your mind back to 2001/2002 they did it with the old shape A3 - 210bhp to 225bhp

3rd Gear

Status
    Some more spyshots on the facelift here :
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/h...i-a3-facelift/

6th Gear

Status
    IMO, if you can negotiate money off an existing car, using the argument that a facelift is coming, I'd go for one now.
    Not as if it's a whole new model.
    Like the A4, for example.
    Anyone ordering an existing A4, with a whole new one coming in March, is mental.
    I can forsee the telephone calls come resale time
    "Hi, I'm phoning about the '57 A4"
    "oh yes"
    "is it the new model?"
    "No"
    "..............brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr"
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Splathead

I wouldn't get too excited about having the Aux input. I've got one of the BM and they are crap, you still need to control the MP3 device manually and the fact the input is down by the hand brake means your going to have the device rattling around with trailing cables.

I've fitted a dension to mine and my ipods hidden away in the boot.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    I wouldn't get too excited about having the Aux input. I've got one of the BM and they are crap, you still need to control the MP3 device manually and the fact the input is down by the hand brake means your going to have the device rattling around with trailing cables.

J.
    I too have one in my BM but dont think its crap. I have 1.5m belkin cable that tucks down the side of the passenger seat, and a silicon case that means the ipod sits over the annoying gap I got when I stupidly asked for the 'no smoker package' ... from there the ipod is easy to interact with although it mostly sits on shuffle so I have a way better library than if I was using CD's etc. Considering I didnt pay for it IMHO I think its great

6th Gear

Status

J.
    Now this is interesting.
    My D3 only has an aux input, which is a pain.
    Are you saying I could buy a dension for it?
    I thought they were 'Audi only'.

Status
    Yep you can get a dension for them. They make them for just about everything now adays. I also get track information displayed on the head unit. The controls are better than they where when I had one in the audi.

Bowfer if yours comes with the aux input and you want a belkin cable to try to see how you get on, drop me a line and I'll post you mine as I wont be using it again!

J.

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband
    I too have one in my BM but dont think its crap. I have 1.5m belkin cable that tucks down the side of the passenger seat, and a silicon case that means the ipod sits over the annoying gap I got when I stupidly asked for the 'no smoker package' ... from there the ipod is easy to interact with although it mostly sits on shuffle so I have a way better library than if I was using CD's etc. Considering I didnt pay for it IMHO I think its great
    The problem is you have to manually control the device, if your anything like me I get bored very quickly of the music I am listening to and swap tracks, albums etc all the time. Having to do that on the ipod (or generic MP3 player) is a pain (and dangerous too I guess)

On the Z the cable allows me to plug my ipod in and then there's the luggage net thing on the side of the tran tunnel where it would sit but as I said you can't control the unit. Plus it doesn't charge.

J.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep you can get a dension for them. They make them for just about everything now adays. I also get track information displayed on the head unit. The controls are better than they where when I had one in the audi.

Bowfer if yours comes with the aux input and you want a belkin cable to try to see how you get on, drop me a line and I'll post you mine as I wont be using it again!

J.
    Hang on though, are dension i-pod only?
    I've just bought myself a Sony video walkman (NWZA818).
    I didn't think it through....did I....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast