finance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i agree. Think its well outlived its usefulness. I apologise for defending myself to all those users who have actually posted meaningful and helpful threads. Thanks

Yeah come on guys, keep it pleasant not personal, the rest of it is quite interesting debate! Be a shame to stop that.

steve184 said:
I have a pathetic attitude? Go have a look in the mirror.

Yup...a defeatest attitude.
Same old me in the mirror...

Not saying you weren't young once - but when you were young the situation was very much different! I think you need to get in the right millenium as your obviously very much stuck in the past - times change - get with it.

Aww...roll out that old chestnut.
Any excuse eh?
You use any excuse not to move out...bully for you!

I seem to remember I moved house in Oct 2005...but obviously that didn't happen and I didn't have any understanding of how life is.

No complex at all - the only problem i have is short-sighted people like yourself who think they know it all but actually know absolutely nothing.

What I know is that I had enough respect for myself and my folks to put my selfish spending on hold and move out...
Maybe that was short sighted...but having actually done it - rather than going to the ends of the earth trying to justify why you shouldn't do it - I realise it was the start of my life proper.
Sort of like getting an independant life - you should try it. They are good.

I asked a perfectly reasonable question, originally, and certainly did not ask for abuse from yourself on how i choose to live my life (using choose very loosely as some of it isn't choice.)

Well, on that note...you should pick the tone of your replies more carefully...or you may hear some brutally honest home truths you didn't really want to deal with..

You have more of a problem, obviously about people who don't live their lives they way you think they should... throwing your rattle out of pram when they dare to disagree!

No, not at all...I have no problem with people living how they see fit...
Or holding any opinion they choose...
Just don't expect me - or others - who hold opposing views, to keep quiet for fear of upsetting you...

I'm big enough to understand that you have your reasons / excuses why you don't want to move out...
I have my reasons why I think it's sad.

If you don't like the responses...stop replying.

Ess_Three said:
Just don't expect me - or others - who hold opposing views

Opposing views that don't hold water.

Home truths eh? - according to you? lol come on your one little person out of many millions - hardly proof, i'm in the wrong.

An opposing view, is an opposing view.
Just that...a viewpoint.

It holds water perfectly well...as it's not a fact, it's an opinion/view.

Can somebody who can be ***** please explain that to this joker?
I'm bored now...

well if your bored you know what you can do don't you......

cdb2 said:
Paying 5% or 6% interest on a mortgage is nothing compared to say 30% tax free that the same sum in ISAs could generate in the year, absolute no brainer!!!

30%? LOL! Nice One.
Meanwhile back on planet earth!

And Steve184, please stop posting, you're using up valuable space on this thread, and your tea's on the table!

AndyMac said:
30%? LOL! Nice One.
Meanwhile back on planet earth!

Not at all, as treblesyskes mentioned his Allianz Bric Allstars (which I have too) has done 57% in the last year. Plenty of others that have done 25% to 35% tax free in the last year. I have one fund that has returned over 110% in 2 years tax free. We aren't talking cash ISAs here, we are talking unit trusts in an ISA wrapper in a funds-supermarket, not limited to UK investment.

Don't criticise when you don't know the facts, do some research and see for yourself, you're the one missing out.

I must be in the minority - I couldnt care less about owning my own home! Im happier than I've ever been now I'm renting. No stress about interest rates and repayments increasing. Or problems with the house, lanldord fixes central heating etc etc.

Yes I know its not the best use of my money, but money isnt everything to me. I much prefer a stress free lifestlye that allows me to travel, see the world and do whatever I feel like.

You only get one life so I'm gonna make damn sure I enjoy mine:icon_thumright:

Issac Hunt said:
I must be in the minority - I couldnt care less about owning my own home! Im happier than I've ever been now I'm renting. No stress about interest rates and repayments increasing. Or problems with the house, lanlord fixes central heating etc etc.

Yes I know its not the best use of my money, but money isnt everything to me. I much prefer a stress free lifestlye that allows me to travel, see the world and do whatever I feel like.

You only get one life so I'm gonna make damn sure I enjoy mine:icon_thumright:

Well put matey, totally agree with you!:yes:

cdb2 said:
Not at all, as treblesyskes mentioned his Allianz Bric Allstars (which I have too) has done 57% in the last year. Plenty of others that have done 25% to 35% tax free in the last year. I have one fund that has returned over 110% in 2 years tax free. We aren't talking cash ISAs here, we are talking unit trusts in an ISA wrapper in a funds-supermarket, not limited to UK investment.

Don't criticise when you don't know the facts, do some research and see for yourself, you're the one missing out.

All true but Im not to sure the future is as bright as the last few years have been.

Im not advocating using these Isa's to cover your whole mortgage but its another way of doing things. If I get in a position where I can pay of bits of mortgage after buying my ISA's every year I will do, Or if ISA returns go bad I will forget them for a year or two and start up the repayments.

Well done, but I'm retiring in the next 18 months and living off my rental houses so don't really give a **** about playing the stock market thanks.

Yes not really an ISA though is it?
"The long term outlook remains risky but excellent."
Well that's reassuring, think I'll stick with bricks & mortar thanks.

It is an ISA no tax payable. Yes there is a risk, but you have to speculate too accumulate. As I said its not for putting all your money into just some. A fund like that wont go bankrupt it may go up it may go down. The trick is to have a portfolio spread over many different parts of the market spread the risk.
Investing into these funds is way different to the traditional endowment policies so derided in the past. I control the risks I take and If things start to slide I can sell with a mouse click or swap to another fund without loosing the ISA status.
All I have to do is log into my fund supermarkets website every few days to see my 'portfolio' and make sure things are running OK.

As I have said several time now this has been easy in the last few years but I do have my doubts about the future, my mouse has hovered over the sell button more than once recently.

One thing Andy how do you run buy-to-lets without mortage interest to offset against tax? Your either paying some heavy repair bills or some huge tax bills?

Huge tax bills? hardly, you get a landlords tax allowance and when I retire I'll be below the heavy tax threshold anyway so only be paying 22%. Once the mortgages were paid off, it's all profit so even if it was all totally taxable it's still money for nothing. I'll be continuing to develop property anyway so will probably become self employed, which will help with the "repair & maintenance" offset as I can do most of the work myself & I'll probably be remortgaging one of the properties to finance future purchases.
It's just a very nice position to be in TBH, so many options I can't wait.

I think we have now run out of things to 'argue' about now , Best of luck to you in your 'retirement' I hope the tenants keep paying and the values keep rising:yes:

sukrw said:
I had not heard of Motorlogix before reading your post.

Just taken a look - it seems quite a saving on a brand new A3 sportback diesel ... without finance .. hhmmmm part of me wishes I had seen this before buying my A3 a few months back ... Hey ho ... there is always next time.

Thanks for the info - will keep it book marked ... maybe it can be used for a good/decent discount from the main stealers ...?

They are excellent. My Dad saved 6 grand off the cost of his new 335d M Sport through them. He won't take delivery until March but still....

treblesykes said:
I think we have now run out of things to 'argue' about now , Best of luck to you in your 'retirement' I hope the tenants keep paying and the values keep rising:yes:

thanks, don't really care if values keep rising, we've no plans to ever sell up. The 2 rentals will be passed on to our boys, no way is HMRC getting 40% of that little goldmine.
I've got a few small projects in mind but it'll mainly be property renovation.

steve184 said:
Opposing views that don't hold water.

Home truths eh? - according to you? lol come on your one little person out of many millions - hardly proof, i'm in the wrong.

Well there's more than just Ess_three posting on here with the same views.

Just out of interest Steve do you have a girlfrend? I'm unsure how any woman would react when you said you lived with your mum.

J.

I agree - perhaps we should close this thread to further input - if that's possible - Marriedblonde?

Status
Not open for further replies.