Chris NottVolks Autos

Service position for wipers

Following on from the thread about the rear lights in a Sportback, I looked at the web-site referred to. On that website there was this item a bout the wipers which looks interesting.

"The wipers on the A3 have a 'cleaning position' feature - when you turn off the ignition switch, tap the wiper stalk to 'wipe once' and the wipers will jump up midway on the windshield and stop there. That way you can fold them up for cleaning. However, I discovered yet another feature as part of this: When the wipers are in the cleaning position, you can 'wipe' them back-and-forth freely on the windshield! I expected they would be immovable like every other car, but you can actually move them to wherever you want. If you push them all the way down to the normal 'rest' position, though, they lock there and they don't move when you restart the car, so no streaks on your just-cleaned windshield!

I always use the service position when I clean the car so that I can lift the wipers clear of the screen, but there is always the chance of getting a smear on the screen when you turn on the ignition and the wipers return to their normal position from the service position.

Well I've just tried it on my Sportback and it works. Interesting all the little snippets of information that can be found.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

Up the owls!

Status
    Thats a great tip. I was cursing audi at the stupid wiper design after finding that i couldn't lift them up on my first wash
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

5th Gear

Status
    Me being me I read it in the manual the 1st time I washed it as realised you cant lift the wiper arms up like my last car. Not used it though as like you say could get a smear on the windscreen Didn't realise you could push them back down till now though!

I can lift the wiper up just enough to wash underneath it so thats what I do
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Status
    That is a useful tip. I always forget to set the wipers to the service position before cleaning, and just end up clumsily running my mitt under the wiper while lifting it up with the other hand ...
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

4th Gear

Status
    Re front wipers, when I used to clean with the washer jet, it would wait a few seconds and then do one final wipe to clear up any drips. Doesn't seem to do this anymore. Anyone? Perhaps it is linked to the setting on the wipers, whether they are on auto or not?
    Sportback

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Nice one Dave, i had a quick scan of the manual last week and couldn't find this.

Saved me asking the same question.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    You guys obvioulsy haven't watched the audi channel on sky! Saw this on there months ago!

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

RGBArgee
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    Following on from the thread about the rear lights in a Sportback, I looked at the web-site referred to. On that website there was this item a bout the wipers which looks interesting.

"The wipers on the A3 have a 'cleaning position' feature - when you turn off the ignition switch, tap the wiper stalk to 'wipe once' and the wipers will jump up midway on the windshield and stop there. That way you can fold them up for cleaning. However, I discovered yet another feature as part of this: When the wipers are in the cleaning position, you can 'wipe' them back-and-forth freely on the windshield! I expected they would be immovable like every other car, but you can actually move them to wherever you want. If you push them all the way down to the normal 'rest' position, though, they lock there and they don't move when you restart the car, so no streaks on your just-cleaned windshield!

I always use the service position when I clean the car so that I can lift the wipers clear of the screen, but there is always the chance of getting a smear on the screen when you turn on the ignition and the wipers return to their normal position from the service position.

Well I've just tried it on my Sportback and it works. Interesting all the little snippets of information that can be found.
    Great thanks, have only had A3's since 2003 and cursed the wipers on a regular basis until now!! Thanks a lot!!

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Brilliant!!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb2
    Re front wipers, when I used to clean with the washer jet, it would wait a few seconds and then do one final wipe to clear up any drips. Doesn't seem to do this anymore. Anyone? Perhaps it is linked to the setting on the wipers, whether they are on auto or not?
    You're describing the teardrop wipe. It can be enabled with vagcom, (central electronics module, byte 3 bit 5) but it doesn't appear to work if you have auto wipers, I enabled this but it only works on the rear wiper. With the auto wipers the last wipe is slower than the others and catches the drips.

Mellow Yellow

Status
    teardrop wipe is already enabled on the front on my A3 John so must be a setting somewhere!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay
    teardrop wipe is already enabled on the front on my A3 John so must be a setting somewhere!!
    This problem is a known bug.

On both of my A3s, the teardrop wipe feature worked initially when the car was new, but stopped working after a few days. Fortunately, if you get your dealer to reset it, the correct operation will then persist.
    A3 Sportback 8V 1.4 TFSI SE

4th Gear

Status
    So there is a permanent fix, excellent thx! Will chase up with dealer when it next goes in.
    Sportback