Ideally need a sportback- but only had the 3 door for 9 months

sat1983

Reaction score
Bought my A3 in March 07. It was perfectly suited for me and the gf.
Unfortunately, my grandad passed away in July and I'm having to transport my parents and gran and others fairly often in the car, and the 3 door is proving to be impractical.

My car is an ex-demo bought at 6 months old. It's a 56 plate 2.0 TDI SE from September 06. As of today has done a touch under 18k miles.
How much is it likely to cost to change the car for a sportback? Say the exact same model (same spec etc..). I suppose my question is how much am I likely to lose having payed roughly £17995 for it in March.

Don't want to go to Audi dealer just yet as it'll be a load of pressurising and I'd like an idea first to see if it's a viable option financially.
Glasse's guide and parkers can somehow never be trusted as the dealer ALWAYS offers far less than the figure glasse's and p had given.
The car is immaculate, truely, barely any swirls on paintwork as always cleaned with the advice of the detailingworld boys and girls.

If spec helps my car is your average SE spec (cruise, light package etc etc) plus audi cd multi changer in glove box. I have got Original RS6 18" wheels on ( meaning they're not for the A3 but for the A4 what with the ET43 being wider) whether I should take them off and put the original SE wheels I dont know?? Both set of wheels are immaculate too.

Cheers for your help!

I imagine the dealer will off around £14.7-£15.2k for that, or less if he looks you up and down and thinks you arrived on the last onion cart. Personally, I would sell it privately. I have done this with my last 5 cars and each sold to the first viewer for considerably more than the dealer offer. But, the last I sold on ebay. Immaculate cars sell easily. My last car was a Citroen which was 7.25 yrs old. The Audi dealer offered £1k for it (No demand for big old Citroens said he.) and it will be a bit less he said when we finally get to the trade after the 14 week wait for the new Audi. I opened the bidding at £1 with a £1k reserve. Within 24 hrs bidding reached £2k and the car went for £3.5k with 29 bidders watching. Cash sale of course.

sat1983 said:
Bought my A3 in March 07. It was perfectly suited for me and the gf.
Unfortunately, my grandad passed away in July and I'm having to transport my parents and gran and others fairly often in the car, and the 3 door is proving to be impractical.

My car is an ex-demo bought at 6 months old. It's a 56 plate 2.0 TDI SE from September 06. As of today has done a touch under 18k miles.
How much is it likely to cost to change the car for a sportback? Say the exact same model (same spec etc..). I suppose my question is how much am I likely to lose having payed roughly £17995 for it in March.

Don't want to go to Audi dealer just yet as it'll be a load of pressurising and I'd like an idea first to see if it's a viable option financially.
Glasse's guide and parkers can somehow never be trusted as the dealer ALWAYS offers far less than the figure glasse's and p had given.
The car is immaculate, truely, barely any swirls on paintwork as always cleaned with the advice of the detailingworld boys and girls.

If spec helps my car is your average SE spec (cruise, light package etc etc) plus audi cd multi changer in glove box. I have got Original RS6 18" wheels on ( meaning they're not for the A3 but for the A4 what with the ET43 being wider) whether I should take them off and put the original SE wheels I dont know?? Both set of wheels are immaculate too.

Cheers for your help!

If you are going to an Audi dealer I would return it to standard spec. They tend not to like mods. If buying new, see what's coming through and try to get 10-12.5% off list (It is possible!) Also worth seeing if you can see the Sales Manager, explain the situation and need for 5 doors, suggest you have been looking at 3 series (Please don't!!) and they should bend over backwards to help. If they don't try another dealer! Good Luck!:icon_thumright:

Rick Glover said:
If you are going to an Audi dealer I would return it to standard spec. They tend not to like mods. If buying new, see what's coming through and try to get 10-12.5% off list (It is possible!) Also worth seeing if you can see the Sales Manager, explain the situation and need for 5 doors, suggest you have been looking at 3 series (Please don't!!) and they should bend over backwards to help. If they don't try another dealer! Good Luck!:icon_thumright:
See attached,:icon_thumright:

Audi A3 2.0 TDI SE
Finished in Silver with a Graphite/black Metrik Cloth interior
clearpixel.gif
£17,495
clearpixel.gif
VehicleImage.axd

clearpixel.gif
RadPanelbarAppendStyleSheet('MediaCentre_MultiPage_FeatureCategoriesMenu', '');
/*\')",'MediaCentre_MultiPage_FeatureCategoriesMenu',false,false,false,null,'','Left','Left','','FeatureCategory','FeatureCategoryHover','','FeatureCategoryHover','FeatureCategoryHover','FeatureCategory','FeatureCategoryText','FeatureCategoryText','','','','FeatureCategoryText','Feature','Feature','','FeatureHover','FeatureHover','FeatureSelected','FeatureText','FeatureText','','','','FeatureText',true,false,'Zigzag','','','158px','onBeforeExpand','','','','onBeforeFeatureClick','','','','',true);MediaCentre_MultiPage_FeatureCategoriesMenu.PanelItems = new Array();MediaCentre_MultiPage_FeatureCategoriesMenu.Init();/*]]>*/}
clearpixel.gif
RadPanelbarAppendStyleSheet('MediaCentre_MultiPage_ReviewMenu', '');
/*\')",'MediaCentre_MultiPage_ReviewMenu',false,false,false,null,'','Left','Left','','FeatureCategory','FeatureCategoryHover','','FeatureCategoryHover','FeatureCategoryHover','FeatureCategory','FeatureCategoryText','FeatureCategoryText','','','','FeatureCategoryText','Feature','Feature','','FeatureHover','FeatureHover','FeatureSelected','FeatureText','FeatureText','','','','FeatureText',true,false,'Zigzag','','','158px','onBeforeExpand','','','','onBeforeReviewClick','','','','',true);MediaCentre_MultiPage_ReviewMenu.PanelItems = new Array();MediaCentre_MultiPage_ReviewMenu.Init();/*]]>*/}

window.MediaCentre_MultiPage = new RadMultiPage('MediaCentre_MultiPage');pwCustomFunctionManager = 'MediaCentre:LiveCallback1';var pwCustomFunctionManagerUpdateAll = true;
clearpixel.gif
Mileage: *18,980 milesRegistered:Sep 2006Transmission:ManualFuel:DieselRegistration:WJ56FKWCentre detailsYeovil Audi
Houndstone Business Park
Yeovil
Somerset
BA22 8RT

Tel: 01935 411808
Fax: 01935 411744
Email us

Cheers rick. What does the 3 door have to do with it though!!?

think he is trying to show what to expect for your present 3 door if you was to advertise it .
dont know if it is the same spec as yours .

My advice would be to sell it on Ebay, unfortunatly this wouldnt be the best time of year to be flogging a 16/17k car but give it a try anyway, for every genuine person interested in your auction there will be 10 idiots but just be honest in your description and have lots of patience.

Or maybe leave it for a couple of months...

347 said:
think he is trying to show what to expect for your present 3 door if you was to advertise it .
dont know if it is the same spec as yours .

Well spotted that was exactly what I was doing. you should get at least this price minus 2k if yours is standard!!

Ahh thanks rick, sorry didn't realise. Think I may be better of selling privately then. How much do we reckon privately?

I've got access to the trade-only CAP guide, and for December it gives the following prices (the valuation shown is for 20k miles; 10k is £800 more):

Retail: £17095
Trade: £15100

CAP are often criticised for being optimistic but if you do see an Audi dealer, tell them that you have access to CAP and they should not offer you anything less than £15100 as part exchange.

I reckon that if you did PX at a dealer they would probably offer you more than this. Being a main dealer, they can retail the car again at a price higher than the £17095. And with regard to the wheels, I would fit the SE ones and keep the RS6s for a future Sportback. As your car is still under warranty, I doubt the Audi dealer would be interested in the 18s remaining on the car, especially if the offset isn't OE.

benw123 said:
I've got access to the trade-only CAP guide, and for December it gives the following prices (the valuation shown is for 20k miles; 10k is £800 more):

Retail: £17095
Trade: £15100

CAP are often criticised for being optimistic but if you do see an Audi dealer, tell them that you have access to CAP and they should not offer you anything less than £15100 as part exchange.

I reckon that if you did PX at a dealer they would probably offer you more than this. Being a main dealer, they can retail the car again at a price higher than the £17095. And with regard to the wheels, I would fit the SE ones and keep the RS6s for a future Sportback. As your car is still under warranty, I doubt the Audi dealer would be interested in the 18s remaining on the car, especially if the offset isn't OE.

I think that's what I said Ben so I agree . 18k miles should add circa £120-£:cold: 150 to the prices above .