Aluminum S8 DSG Paddles?!

Hahaha, this old chestnut again.:p

A few of the originals on here had a very similar game with TT/R32 paddles 3 years ago. Even went to the levels of getting some forged especially. I'm sure Japper remembers :)

But no, haven't a clue about the S8 ones.

German Ebay lad - the proper ones for the A3 are for sale on there for reasonable prices as well as S3 gear knobs and handbrake slieves

I know about the TT/R32 Mk 4 ones but they are too big. The ones in the S8 are the same size as the new dsg paddles but brushed aluminium. I sat in an S8 the other audi at Bath Audi and the feel was amazing, it would finish off my interior with the silver inlays and its the little details that make a difference :icon_thumright:

When I retrofitted my multifunction wheel I bought one from a German eBay seller and it has the alluminium paddles. I checked on ETKA and the standard back paddles are available but i couldn't find the part number for the alluminium ones.

Here is my wheel before it was fitted

The part number for the whole wheel is 8P0 4?? 689 A 4PK (sorry about the ?? but the label with the part number is scratched and I can't read these two digits.

If there is an easy way to remove the paddles I would have no problem removing them to see if they are stamped with the part number. I had a look and couldn't see any obvious way to remove them.

Don't know if this helps you or not but at least you know the paddles are in existance.

i'd be interested to see if these ones feel bettr than the black ones - which on my car are frankly shoddy - they feel horrible as they are kinda cracky and clicky where there shouldnt be any of this sensation - should just be one smooth silent nicely damped click - but mine arnt - be interested to see if you could change them but i thought they were permanently attached to the steering wheel - but then i think well maybe they are not - they have lights in them so if the bulbs go you would need to remove them to sort this

Spare 'black' paddles are definitely available from the dealer.

The Aluminum ones have a heavier feel and action to then and I would suggest that your description of a 'silent, damped click' is a fair analogy. The plastic ones do seam a little, well, plasticy.
The aluminum ones still have the red illuminated +/- icon.

As I said above, if anyone can shed some light of how they can be removed I will see if there is a part number on them.

I thought there was a screw which held them on from the back of the steering wheel, as well as a spring.

N8KOW said:
This is excellent news, thankyou marms, what steering wheel have you got? So do the +/- light up at night? thanks
It's the 3 spoke S-line with DSG + multifunction.
And yes the +/- do light up (you obiously got too excited and didn't read my second post :))

I had a look at the paddles on the wheel today and can't see any screws holding them on? Thats with the wheel in place tough. Might be obvious witht eh wheel removed but, sorry chaps, I ain't removing the steering wheel just to find out.

so - these arn't fitted to A3s from factory - but somewhere you can get them with ally paddles on??? how stupid is this??? I just dont get it.

Right,

Just done a bit more investigating for you lot and it looks like the paddle is actually part of the 'push button for tiptronic' as ETKA call it.

This switch is held to the steering wheel by one screw but to get to this screw you have to remove the airbag and multifunction switches to get at it from inside the steering wheel spoke (if you see what i mean).

These switches are only listed in soul black on ETKA but they are obviously available in brushed aluminum.

Audi usually use the code 5PR for soul black and Q77 for aluminum trim so I'm thinking the part numbers *may* be as follows:-

3 spoke wheels
Left : 4E0 951 527 K 3Q7
Right : 4E0 951 527 L 3Q7

4 spoke wheels
Left : 4E0 951 527 H 3Q7
Right : 4E0 951 527 J 3Q7

So don't shoot me if I'm wrong but well worth a phone call to your Audi dealer to see if these part numbers are available and, more importantly, how much they are likely to cost. I'd give my dealer a ring for you but it's Sunday and they are shut!

Ok, me again.

I can confirm that the above part numbers are indeed correct.
The code for aluminum is however 3Q7 not Q77. (I've editied the above post to now show the correct numbers)

So the only thing holding you back now is likely to be the price.

That won't hold me back. I've ordered a flat bottom tt mfsw so I'll be fitting these to the wheel before the car. Thanks again marms, for all your help and taking the wheel off to find out is a bit much!!! Thanks

TDI-line said:
Where do you get these codes from Marms?

Are you an Audi spy.

I like the idea of being thought of as a spy but unfortunately not. I do some work for an Audi dealer and have 'access' to ETKA which is the Audi Electronics Part Catalog.

marms said:
I like the idea of being thought of as a spy but unfortunately not. I do some work for an Audi dealer and have 'access' to ETKA which is the Audi Electronics Part Catalog.

Ok, i'll stand down from Code Red.:tumble:

Rang Liverpool Audi this morning and got the following prices.

4E0 951 527 K 3Q7 - £53.51
4E0 951 527 L 3Q7 - £53.51

My steering wheel arrived today, so once I have found out how to take the paddles out then I will be ordering the new 1s!

Wwell done. I knew we would get there in the end.
At £50 odd quid a pop it does make the £102 I paid for the whole steering wheel seem like a bit of a bargain.

I paid £343 for the flat bottom steering wheel so the price for the paddles is fine. Marriedblonde is right, I remember the R32 paddles being a stupid price, when I was looking before, just need to figure how to change the paddles, then I'll order!! Thanks again guys...

I wouldn't order them just yet if you have the TT wheel.

The Air bag is different on the TT Flat bottom steering wheel and so is the part number for the DSG switches and multi function switches. Unfortunately they don't list an alloy version for the TT wheel.

Ok,

The part number for the paddles for a TT flat bottomed wheel in black are:

8J0 951 527 A 5PR - left
8J0 951 528 A 5PR - right

I have checked and can't find the 3Q7 equivalent for any other steering wheel. You might want to ring your local dealer on Wednesday and just see is 8J0951527A3Q7 & 8J0951528A3Q7 are valid part numbers but I couldn't find them anywhere :(

Sorry, I guess thats not really the answer you were looking for.

I checked with a mate in Audi parts he thinks the S8 alloy paddles should fit and quoted me a price which makes them seem reasonably attractive (under £100 the pair), only issue is finding out how to fit them.

Er.... The S8 ones will definitely fit a standard A3 steering wheel. I posted the part numbers above.

The problem N8KOW is having is that he is fitting a flat bottomed wheel from a TT and the TT paddles are a different part number. The TT wheel also has a round airbag whereas the rest of the Audi steering wheels have the squarish shaped airbag. I'm guessing thats why the TT needs different paddles?

As far as removing/refitting, I also mentioned in a previous post that you need to remove the airbag. Then remove the multifunction switches (if fitted) and then you will see one bolt that holds the DSG paddle switch in place. This bolt can only be accessed from inside the spokes of the steering wheel (if that makes sense).