EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    Dorsprung Turch Vechnique

Status

Re Coding : A new key

Hey guys - posted a week or two back about losing my key - pain in the neck.

Anyway, to save myself Ł170 and time i bought a transponder on ebay and a blank blade.

I fitted the blade onto the metal swing stalk and headed for the dealers today - as miffed as they were that i hadn't decided to spend money on Audi AG they said no problem and set abuot cutting a new blade.

Mr Mechanic came back however, and whilst the blade was cut perfectly he said that he couldn't recode the new spare key. He said when he tried to do this it came up with "Error.........key will not respond".

Still had to pay Ł40 labour, but i'm quite pissed off. Has anyone else had a similar problem with transponders sbought off Ebay? The guy seemed genuine and just said he didn't know why it wouldn't work.

Should i just try wityh another on Ebay or what? It seems strange - he said usually it works every time
    2003 - A3 Volcanic Black 1.6i 8L
    2004 - A3 Ming Blue 1.8TQ 8L
    2005 - A3 Dolphin Grey 2.0FSI 8P
    2006 - Driving sabbatical ;-)
    2007 - A3 Ibis White 2.0TFSI 8p
    2009 - A3 Monza Silver BE 2.0 TDI 8p

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Post a link to actual one that you purchased and give us the exact details (year/model etc) of your car to help us solve your problem. Do you know the part number of the key you bought? You could cross reference this with Audi to check compatibilty.

The key you bought could be the wrong frequency as I believe different markets and ages of vehicles use a different frequency, or it just could be faulty one!
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Status
    Thats a good point - i didn't know that all mattered.

My car is a March 2007 A3 - the transponder i bought could be from any year/frequency...........

Hmmm drat

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C

Still had to pay Ł40 labour, but i'm quite pissed off. Has anyone else had a similar problem with transponders sbought off Ebay? The guy seemed genuine and just said he didn't know why it wouldn't work.

Should i just try wityh another on Ebay or what? It seems strange - he said usually it works every time
    A similar problem? Pretty much every owner who has ever brought in an eBay key for us to code has always had to eventually order a key from us anyway. Just because the keys physically look the same everyone assumes they fit the whole model range. The people on eBay are either nieve owners or people looking to make a quick buck.

The best one I had was someone who said they were going to buy a key off eBay because Ł135.00 was too expensive. Despite me spending 10 minutes of my time telling him why he shouldn't he did it anyway and of course it wouldn't code. He never did order a key off us but he lost Ł35.00 with the coding charge.
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

Definitely a case of buyer beware. Something that appears to be cheap does not always turn out to be so in the long run.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_Wilbury
    A similar problem? Pretty much every owner who has ever brought in an eBay key for us to code has always had to eventually order a key from us anyway. Just because the keys physically look the same everyone assumes they fit the whole model range. The people on eBay are either nieve owners or people looking to make a quick buck.

The best one I had was someone who said they were going to buy a key off eBay because Ł135.00 was too expensive. Despite me spending 10 minutes of my time telling him why he shouldn't he did it anyway and of course it wouldn't code. He never did order a key off us but he lost Ł35.00 with the coding charge.
    So why do Audi charge Ł160?

RIP OFF

1st Gear

Status
    My post wasn't the defense of some kind of moral crusade; It was merely to state the fact that something that looks too good to be true, usually is. If you being asked Ł170.00 for a key, you are going to the wrong Audi Centre.

The two things that make the key expensive; the immobiliser transponder and the workshop time required to code it.

The general breakdown of key prices at our Centre is;

Key with blade and transponder; around Ł55 plus VAT
    Remote: around Ł37.00 plus VAT
    Coding: Ł24.00 plus VAT

This brings the total price somewhere in the region of Ł135.00 including VAT for a remote key.

The reason why the prices flutuate from Ł130.00 to Ł200.00 coded is purely because Centres (particularly London area Dealers) are being greedy with the Labour charges required to code a key. The total time taken to code a key from getting the car into the workshop to driving it back into the Car Park is 20 minutes MAXIMUM. On our Labour Charges that would make it Ł29.00 plus VAT. Most London Centres won't even give you the time of day unless you pay them 1 hours labour, therefore theres already a Ł70.00 fluctuation before you start.

Now here is the problem; Audi Time Unit's although used as a guide are used entirely at the discretion of the Audi Centre and unfortunately theres nothing Audi UK can do to make a Centre comply with them. Until the day that happens you will continue to see massive fluctuations like this. Whether it be keys or servicing costs.
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

5th Gear

Status
    And which Audi centre do you work at Nelson?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

cabriolet

Status
    ITS FUNNY HOW THEY ALL MANAGE TO GET THE PRICE OF THE CARS ON THE FOURCOURT THE SAME THOUGH !!!!!!!
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly
    ITS FUNNY HOW THEY ALL MANAGE TO GET THE PRICE OF THE CARS ON THE FOURCOURT THE SAME THOUGH !!!!!!!
    How's that funny?

Ian; If you want a key and really don't want to pay full whack for a key then drop me a PM. I might be able to help you.
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr