Problems - TDI Engine

B

Boydie

Ok, where to start...

MOT is on Satruday, so I treated the car to a mini service - oil change, oil and fuel filter change and general tidy up under the bonnet etc...

When I took the under tray off to get at the sump plug I was greeted to the lovely sight of oil gunk on the engine side of the tray at the front end of the car. I had noticed a small oil stain on the vents on the tray before but didn't worry too much about it at the time - therefore, I think this is a build up of muck over a long time.

On closer inspection, the pipes that are connected to the Intercooler, on both sides, are clogged up with oil and muck :(

Oil in those pipes suggests that the turbo is getting oil :( maybe the seals are gone?? ideas? turbo on the way out?

Car is 4 years old next month, it is due a timing belt change very soon along with water pump. Has 62k miles, performs well with the remap regardless of these problems.

The car is lumpy on idle, it will judder when the engine is on and sitting still in traffic. I thought this was down to the flywheel but I have checked with Audi and there are no outstanding call backs on the car but since its leaking oil, this may be the cause of the judders :(

Not good, especially coming up to xmas and uni exam stress :(

opinions, experiences and costs for replacements appreciated :)

Thanks

Boydie said:
On closer inspection, the pipes that are connected to the Intercooler, on both sides, are clogged up with oil and muck :(

Oil in the intercooler pipes is not uncommon. Clean it out and probably give your EGR a clean as well as that's likely to be pretty dirty too.

Pictures would be helpful and maybe a bit more info on the "muck"

There was quite a lot of it to be honest and the last time the oil was done, the light came on soon enough after it :(

the muck now is fortunately been cleaned away but will try get a pic behind the arch liner where i think there is also some

will check out the EGR - isn't that the silver pipe just infront and above the oil filter??

Boydie said:
There was quite a lot of it to be honest and the last time the oil was done, the light came on soon enough after it :(

the muck now is fortunately been cleaned away but will try get a pic behind the arch liner where i think there is also some

will check out the EGR - isn't that the silver pipe just infront and above the oil filter??

I got the same mate and my friend who is a mechanic said don't worry it's not uncommon especially on VW's diesels.
My will juder when wharm idle it`s due the bad design of the flywheel apparently and there is nothing you can do about it. I have heard that sometimes it may be caused by faulty injectors so you can have them checked.

Ignoring these problems though, the car couldnt be running any sweeter, its spot on! I just do not like the look of oil in places it shouldnt be :(

My 2.0 TDI has exactly the same "issues". Nothing a can of carb cleaner and a rag couldn't fix. As above though the 'lumpy' warm idle is a 'feature' of the engine.

It has been ok since the service - the mpg is awesome at the minute since I changed the fuel filter

Got 52mpg on a 80 odd mile round trip today on mainly A/B roads which I would normally get 44/45 mpg! been getting over 50mpg quite a lot recently

Would you say that car drives much more smoothly since the service?

Probably, I haven't had any clutch issues since but I have been driving very carefully and revving the TDI more before changing gear - as I had previously thought that this would badly affect mpg, I was surprised that it didn't so no more low rev gear changes for me!

The car is still lumpy when idling but I will just have to keep checking the oil levels every couple of weeks!

Good informative post, glad your fears were not realised.

All my 2.0tdi have featured the lumpy idle so as others have said don't worry about it, mpg wise the wifes is remapped and averages 49mpg according to DIS and is a DSG so this is superb, the 2.0tdi is a superb engine economy and performance wise. Happy New year & good luck in your exams