optics grille

Mattandrew: Cheers for that. As i've said above, i'm waiting for my black grill to arrive and i'm still not totally sold either way. The car's Avus silver which i love and it sit well against the chrome and charcoal standard grill. I'm not convinced how black and avus will go together.
I originally wanted an S3 grill but apparantly the fixings are slightly differently placed to the S-line and because of the deeper air scoop on the S3, the grill is about 10mm shorter....Which all adds up to 'more trouble than it's worth'.
My problem is that i like having something a bit different to everyone else but i won't sacrifice the look of the car to be individual. If the black grill looks out of place i'll sell it straight on.

PNH80 said:
Mattandrew: Cheers for that. As i've said above, i'm waiting for my black grill to arrive and i'm still not totally sold either way. The car's Avus silver which i love and it sit well against the chrome and charcoal standard grill. I'm not convinced how black and avus will go together.
I originally wanted an S3 grill but apparantly the fixings are slightly differently placed to the S-line and because of the deeper air scoop on the S3, the grill is about 10mm shorter....Which all adds up to 'more trouble than it's worth'.
My problem is that i like having something a bit different to everyone else but i won't sacrifice the look of the car to be individual. If the black grill looks out of place i'll sell it straight on.

If you look through used cars on Audi website you may find on with a black optics, Yeah I was looking at the S3 grill once i get my new bumper, it has been fitted by another member, I am just waiting for some better pictures from him.

Thats why I could do with a pic of the S Line Akoya silver with the black optics. Anyone fancy doing me a photo shop, ill dig some pictures out

Beddie said:
The chrome trim on the standard grill will just unclip without removing the complete bumper, it's only a bumper off job if you want to change the actual plastic grill piece from the standard grey to the matt black..

You can buy the outer ring in black on its own, around £40 iirc and a 5 min job to fit as it just clips on :icon_thumright:

Anybody know if the same applies to the S3 optic pack, as I might consider refitting the chrome trim instead of the black trim (if it comes off that is)

You want to swop the black optics back to chrome? Your sig pic shows a chrome grill already. Have I drunk too much wine? :unsure:

I was wondering wether the black goes with lighter coloured cars. I'm not sure.
Doesn't look right on red.

Question: Is there any way to have the black optic grille but with the chrome surround and chrome vertical vents?

(The only difference to the original grill would be the black slats and black number plate instead of the grey original.)

I would like to have that done in my Black S3, would look great IMO.

Maybe a paintjob on the original grill? Opinions?

:think:

^^^^^^^ i wouldn't go painting the crome grill ( it will cost you at sale/trade in time ) IMHO just get the black optic grill , then you can have both crome and black grills , swap them over to change the look over the car , one for summer one for winter! LOL

Thats what i'm doing!

p

Wow that A3 is clean. Nice to see SB's out there with the S3 front end. Looks great! Where do you find all these pics from maars? And when are pics of ur car coming?

Wow that A3 is clean. Nice to see SB's out there with the S3 front end. Looks great! Where do you find all these pics from maars? And when are pics of ur car coming?

Very Nice SB. Looks Stealthy.

I would love to see that with the crome surround and verticals, never did.

What comes pretty close to it is the Heron S3.

Its a black optic grill with crome. IMO it looks better than the standard optic grill, but to each his own.

Audi%20S3%20Heron_1.jpg

N8KOW said:
Where do you find all these pics from maars?

Reckon it's vwvortex. Nice forum to read once in a while for info, but too many adverts, bitching contest, and fanboy-ism going on there for my liking.

Plus, they (americans) only get the sportback, so not much use if I want to find info on the S3.

N8KOW said:
Pics will be up next week once I've washed the car :laugh:

FELIX said:
Very Nice SB. Looks Stealthy.

I would love to see that with the crome surround and verticals, never did.

What comes pretty close to it is the Heron S3.

Its a black optic grill with crome. IMO it looks better than the standard optic grill, but to each his own.

[URL="http://static.autoblog.nl/images/wp/Audi%20S3%20Heron_1.jpg"][/URL]
Sorry all, the pic above is the effect I want to achieve,black inner grill with original S3 chrome surround , hopefully have a optic grill on its way so will know the answer myself soon

JohnS3 said:
You want to swop the black optics back to chrome? Your sig pic shows a chrome grill already. Have I drunk too much wine? :unsure:

Keep off the wine :ohmy: :laugh:

redbutcher said:
You wouldn't happen to have the part number would you TDI-line for the number plate grill? I'm at the stealers next Tuesday, so would be handy if I could order it at the same time.

I'll try and find the original package when i get in tonight.

dipstic said:
Sorry all, the pic above is the effect I want to achieve,black inner grill with original S3 chrome surround , hopefully have a optic grill on its way so will know the answer myself soon

In theory it could be done with the OEM grills , i like the look also, when we changed mine i noticed the clips for the outer rim , i did try to ease one off and it SNAPED i didn't use much force , but saying that i didn't have the right tools for the job!

Just be careful , coz it snapped very easy , and you don't want to knacker it!

p

Im going to paint the slats and number plate, i think that will do just fine, keeping the crome, just like the heron.

No problem - thanks anyway.

Black optic grill has been ordered (from fleabay), have had a price for the plate mounting from vag-parts, so will probably just order it straight from them and avoid the stealer.

If you're interested the grill is £83.93 inc VAT and the number plate holder is £38.12 inc VAT from vag-parts (delivery is on top of that at £6.95+VAT). Prices quoted include audi-sport.net discount.

I actually prefer the chrome on my black S3 gives it a somewhat distinct and classy look... black on black looks cheaper... my opinion only...

Pedro

Estoy de acuerdo Pedro!

But black slats would look great dont you think?

We should see it on a photoshoped S3.

Cheerrs

newbiecrg said:
I actually prefer the chrome on my black S3 gives it a somewhat distinct and classy look... black on black looks cheaper... my opinion only...

Pedro

Yes the outer chrome with black grille instead of grey would look very nice... that I like..

Pedro

Im going to be honest, i dont like it :ninja:

Its all too black, if the rings were chrome, or the outer rim, it would just break it up a bit. Thats only my humble opinion though.

Its almost as if you have taken to it with a tin of black spray...

each one to its own, if you like it great... personally I think it looks cheap and I agree it is like you asked someone to spray the grill black... Not my cup of tea. Yuo are missing a tiny bit of chrome that would make all the difference...

Anyway, each one to its own. Enjoy your motor!

Pedro

I second the above.

IMHO, the perfect grill, is that of the Heron. Black & Chrome, no gray.

But like said before, to each his own.

I'm still not sold one way or another... Although i'm beginning to think my Avus Silver motor will just look better with the standard grille. I think if the blackout grill had some vertical S3 style chrome strips with the all black surround it'd look great.

If anyone wants a brand new optik grille....I could have one for sale next week!

Help a newbie out here.
This black optics is just a black surround instead of the chrome?
Is this a dealer option? I couldnt see it online when doing a spec.

Yeah its a factory option. Its on the Audi configurator, called the black styling pack I think.

Its a black grill surround instead of chrome and the grill itself and the numerplate holder are black rather than dark grey :)

Oh yeah I found it : Black styling package £300 ouch.
I will leave that off.

Yeah its a factory option. Its on the Audi configurator, called the black styling pack I think.

Its a black grill surround instead of chrome and the grill itself and the numerplate holder are black rather than dark grey :)

Oh yeah I found it : Black styling package £300 ouch.
I will leave that off.

Yes, that sort of Audi option pricing really annoys me. It's only swapping the existing grille for another one, which can't actually cost any more to make than the original. In effect it costs Audi nothing.

£300 is taking the p*ss.

Thanks for the comments guys.

It's one of those things that you may have to see in the light of day, it particulary looks very aggressive with the black roof, black spoiler, mirrors etc.

TDI/

Well, my grill from the German seller on fleabay arrived this morning - it looks fantastic 'in the flesh'. Have held it up to the car and it will look great me thinks.

Course, forgot to get an S-Line grill badge (doh!), I could use the one on the grill at the moment, but thought I'd get a new one (well, new grill, new badge!).

So, have ordered the S-Line grill badge and the black number plate insert from vagparts - that should be here next week sometime. Then I just need a decent weekend weather wise to fit it :).

Once fitted I will of course post some pics up and if I can I'll get some pics done while I'm fitting.

TDI-line - thanks for the pics of your car - only thing I'd change would be to keep the chrome Audi rings - just looks a bit too black if you know what I mean.

It does go really well with the mirrors and roof though.

If anybody wants to do the same as TDI-line and put black grill and black wing mirror caps on there car????? ive got a BRAND NEW set of Phantom black A3/S3 wing mirror caps ( still in the box's ) there not really for sale , but if the price is right i could be persuaded to sell them LOL i think they were £185 for the pair from Auidi?

p

Not really mate, i bought them as spares in case my S3 ones get nicked! as ive said there not really for sale!

p