Back doors freezing shut

Amchlolor

Reaction score
What a PAIN!
Every morning and night, my car becomes a two door.
Would silicon spray along the rubber sort it, or something?
Seems to be at the top, where the rubber meets the body.
Surprised the rubber is still on the door, as I tend to go a bit postal on it...

Some people (not me) tend to find Vasaline good for their back doors......

It knows it's going to be swopped for a beemer and is doing it on purpose ;)
Silicone spray sounds like a good idea, give it a try on one door and see if it makes a difference.

Don't suppose a slight spray of WD40 would do it, would it?
It's all I've got in the garage.
Either that or Tesco's finest olive oil.

bowfer said:
Don't suppose a slight spray of WD40 would do it, would it?
It's all I've got in the garage.
Either that or Tesco's finest olive oil.

WD40 might sting a bit...olive oil better (apparently!)

Think I'd rather have sticky doors than stinky doors though.
The smell of WD40 does my head in.
Does no-one else get this?
I have to haul at the damned things, it's that bad.
I'm no 8 stone weakling, but I have to give up sometimes.
It's like my first wife, she ain't opening.

I don't get the problem with my Sportback, but that may because it spends the night in my garage.

But I have got some Silicone spray which I use on the track of my power operated garage door and that works a lot better than oil, grease or WD40. Its called SP-90 from a company called Action Can Ltd. I bought mine at a local builders merchant. It's described on the can as Release / Non-stick Lubricant Spray.

No problems here with our SB.

Bowfer, I thought you said no one ever went in the back of your car hence you :hubbahubba: were not concerned about lack of legroom in a D3??? Or have I missed something...

TT

Only the back doors? It's not happened this winter yet, but all four doors icing shut is not unusual. A spray of de-icer sorts it out.

Rick Glover said:
No problems here with our SB.

Bowfer, I thought you said no one ever went in the back of your car hence you :hubbahubba: were not concerned about lack of legroom in a D3??? Or have I missed something...

TT

Are you getting -4C in Bristol yet?
You're right, I hardly ever have anyone in the back of my car.
However, I like to chuck stuff in the back, like my laptop.
I could use the passenger seat, if it weren't for the annoying 'BING BING BING' anytime you put anything heavier than a magazine on it...
I have a double garage, but I'd rather the wife's car and my bike were kept nice and dry, than this piece of sh*t...

Cold here too, only -3! I tend to put my Laptop in the boot... but you will be please to hear there is no bing bing on the new A3 passenger seat!:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:Come on now I think it's only the DSG (Damn silly Gearbox) you don't like!!

TT (soon) and A3 SB 2.0TQ

R

Rick Glover said:
. but you will be please to hear there is no bing bing on the new A3 passenger seat!

Oh well, in that case I'll cancel the D3 and get another A3.
:jester:

bowfer said:
Use some stuff for door seales like Auto Glym's Vinyl&Rubber care or something with silicone (although as far as I remember BMW's manual says don't use silicone base stuff on rubber) DON'T use WD 40 or deicer on rubber!!!
When I used to live in Poland I used to do it every 2 weeks in winter time and there was -20 sometimes so I know it's the best solution. Clean the seal and use some door seal stuff on it.

bowfer said:
I could use the passenger seat, if it weren't for the annoying 'BING BING BING' anytime you put anything heavier than a magazine on it...

Same for me, it used to drive me nuts everytime I put anything on the passenger seat. Out with VAG-COM and the probelm has gone!

Issac Hunt said:
Same for me, it used to drive me nuts everytime I put anything on the passenger seat. Out with VAG-COM and the probelm has gone!

I begged the dealer to do it, but they flat refused.

bowfer said:

Best piece of news I have heard for weeks. Try Bristol Audi!!

TT
R:cold: Can't afford the heated seats!!