double din install

vinceemmery

Reaction score
hi im gonna attempt a single to double din install for my rnse question is on the install guide on here you have to take the surround off around the gear stick on the manual versions, will i still have to do the same with my dsg gearbox and if so is it any harder gonna try to fit tomorrow ,any one know ?

Nope, its exactly the same process to remove.

- Open ashtray
- Put fingers under rear edge of trim
- Give it a firm pull

The piece of trim in question is held on with four spring loaded clips.

Good luck with the conversion. It's not as bad as you might be thinking. The guide you are talking about is VERY detailed and possibly makes the job look more complicated than it actually is.

I did mime (on a DSG) about 8 months ago now. Took me just under 4 hours from start to finish including the bluetooth, multimedia adapter and DVD player installation.

The only part holding me back from a double DIN installation is the climate control. What exactly did you do to get it to fit?

You have to trim it back (it can be done with patience) or fit the double din unit.

the way I did mine was as follows.

- fit everything else first.
- use stiff cardboard (cornflake packet) and make a template the size of the original single din climate control.
- keep trimming small amounts off this template until it fits snugly under the RNS-e
- completely cover the whole climate control with masking tape. Make sure all the air vents on the back are covered.
- place the template on the original climate control making sure it is centered.
- trace around the template onto the masking tape.
- with a small block plane slowly plane off the excess just leaving the lines.
- keep checking for fit often and keep taking small amounts off until you get the desired fit.
- clean up any burs with a fine file.
- remove all the masking tape.
- fit your modified climate control into place.

Doing it this way is not difficult. Just take your time and keep checking often. The new double din climate control is iro £450 so worth a go before you buy one as if it works well then you have saved £450 and if you **** it up you can still buy a new one anyway.

Hope that helps.

luckily enough i bought the double din unit and it came with the buttons,card shelf and climate control

PM me with your mail address as I have something that will help you out.

Melstrom I got your PM and have sent you something to your mail address. I am sure it will make it a bit easier.

Is there any reason you're not sharing this tip for 'making the job a little easier' with the rest of the forum? or is it a secret?

Anyone can PM me and I will send it to them it's certainly not a secret.

So is it some kind of template or something? or is it just instructions?
If it's just instructions I just wonder why you don't make it available for others to read on the forum so others can benefit.