coolant warning light DIS 2.0 TDI (2005)

john_cook

I was the STIG.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

can anyone tell me what coolant I need to buy to fill up the reservoir? The light came on about a week ago and is on everytime I start the car. On inspection in the engone bay it is near the minimum level. Do i simply buy some replacement coolant solution and top it up? It had its 2nd service in September and had no such problems then.

Cooky

You MAY have the porous cylinder head problem that a few 2.0tdi owners have reported. (check this forum for previous threads about coolant loss).

Wait untill the engine is cold,undo cap,top up with water(any water will do just for top up) to the max mark and keep an eye on it and see if the light comes back on.If so get it checked out.

dipstic said:
Wait untill the engine is cold,undo cap,top up with water(any water will do just for top up) to the max mark and keep an eye on it and see if the light comes back on.If so get it checked out.

Is that safe?? Maybe I should take it in to audi or call them.

Cooky

I noticed the other day when topping up washer fluid that my coolant is quite low.

Car was very cold but the level was around minimum. The warning light hasn't come on and I realise the level goes up when the car is warm but I'm not sure it should be so low.

Hope I don't have a leak!

I did spend a couple of hours last weekend at Rally GB with the car idling, maybe this has used some coolant?

From the manual
When cold level should be between min and max level
When hot might be slightly above max mark
System should not loose coolant if it is visit to Dealers req
So I would suggest topping it up when cold and seeing if it then loses fluid, if it does take it to the dealer to check

Thanks, I'll take a look today. Normally when hot it was abit above maximum, not sure if it's dropped or just because the car was cold ( and outside temp was near freezing too ).

I've had it for 3 months so hopefully there is no leak!

I had the dreaded "porous cylinder head" problem on my `54 2.0TDi at around 83k miles/38 months.....

Davidb67 said:
I had the dreaded "porous cylinder head" problem on my `54 2.0TDi at around 83k miles/38 months.....
How much did it cost you to have it fixed? Have you had the head replaced?

hi guys i had the head replaced at 60k audi did it under warranty with just a small contribution from my self, total cost was just under £2200 & you get 2years warranty, done approx 1k miles since all fine.