Which A3

smudgesmith

Reaction score
You have probably been asked a question like this before but need some help.
Im after a new A3, around Apr next year. I have a present a Subaru Impreza WRX, had it since new and is 3 years old.
Im off to Germany next year and now the Impreza is
a. getting on a bit and
b. im after a car that would be better suited to the long journeys back and forward to UK.

The S3 would be the natural progression from a WRX but im still lumbered with high fuel costs, tyres and servicing etc and if the majority of its time is spent on a motorway/autobahn then is it wasted.
Im also interested in 2.0FSI Quattro, near same performance, better fuel etc.
Then there is the 2.TDI 170, good fuel, and performance isnt too shabby.
Im not a nutter in the Subaru, but i would miss the performance of it so i dont want to go too conservative!
Then there is the case of DSG or Manual??:think:
I can get it Tax Free, there is perks to this job, but after speccing a S3 on the Audi online site, i was hitting S4 money! And i really want the A3.

Any ideas or pointers? Im off to Poole Audi on Mon to have a chat with the lads there and have a test drive in something.

You'll probably find the running costs of a 2.0T Quattro is very very similiar to an S3, and you do get a lot of standard kit on the S3. Same tax, nearly the same MPG.

As reagrds to DSG or manual, you really need to drive them. I've had DSG on 2 cars so far, and can't stand it lol, but the wife insists :(

If running costs are an issue, then the 140 or 170 TDI would be very good, espicially matched up with quattro.

The thing with Audi, you don't get out and out performance, but you get the best build quality inside and out.

Good luck with your S3 :)

And welcome to the site.

I'd say your best looking at the 170PS TDi with the miles your are likely to do.

What ever you do if you are concidering going for the DSG make sure that you have a good test drive I'd say a 24 hours dem would be best.

You either love or hate the DSG it is a Marmite thing - LOL

Paul

Hi there,

This is almost like reading my mind from 3 months ago !!! I have had Impreza's for the past 8 years ! the last one being a 53 plate STi with PPP and prodrive suspension etc.

I am "getting on a bit" and I was also driving the STi a bit "stupidly" so I thought I better calm down and have a change.

For me the choice was "fairly" easy - after owning an impreza, any "normal" petrol car (not things like S3's etc) would feel pretty slow and pointless. I also wanted something slower to calm me down on the public roads. So for me it was a diesel .. .yep never thought I would do it but I did and I must admit I have never looked back at all. Ok I miss the pure power the STi had but in terms of "normal" driving, my A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI (140 S-Line) is very good. The clutch is nice and light and so is the gear change. The ride comfort is good, nice and firm but doesn't shake your teeth out. MPG is just ... well ... staggering when coming from an Impreza ... instead of getting 200 miles to a tank I now get 500+ miles to a tank !

People say the S-Line is too harsh a ride - but if you come from cars with rock solid suspension like an Impreza, then the ride in the S-Line feels a bit soft to me - but like I say "normal" driving it is very nice indeed and you get out the car after an hours drive and feel fine rather than needing a session with an osteopath. I went for the 140 rather than 170 as the filter issues worried me a little and a re-map on the 140 will take it easily to 180/190 for less bucks. I went manual, as I was not too ready for an auto - sometimes wish I had gone DSG but the manual is a nice box.

I went for the sportback as I do loads of mountain biking and getting the bike in the car is a must for me - so having the 5 doors is real nice - yep can't get a bike in the STi but the girlfriend had a 5 door WRX at the time so that was ok.
S-Line for me was important as it offers good styling, nice suspension and just overall feels the right look for what I was after. Wanted phantom black but ended up with lava-grey and can't say I mind at all - in fact quite like the colour.

That is just my 2p worth from an ex-subaru nutter if this helps in any way.

Regards.

TDI-line said:
You'll probably find the running costs of a 2.0T Quattro is very very similiar to an S3, and you do get a lot of standard kit on the S3. Same tax, nearly the same MP

Good luck with your S3 :)

Correct, I have owned both and there is not a huge difference in MPG unless you thrash it all the time. On the motorway 70-80mph difference is only 2-3 miles per gallon. Tyre's wear a little quicker on the S3 which you would expect, but are the same price,size Etc as a 20TQ S-Line.
All in all the S3 is well worth the extra running costs due to the noise performance Etc with comfort and ride quality not being compromised at all.
Diesel, well thats up to you. IMO for tractors.

Mark

sukrw said:

I went for the sportback as I do loads of mountain biking and getting the bike in the car is a must for me - so having the 5 doors is real nice - yep can't get a bike in the STi but the girlfriend had a 5 door WRX at the time so that was ok..

I also do lots of mountain biking and can easily get 2 mountain bikes in the back of my S3 with luggage Etc without any problem, loads of room.

Mark

markwiggy said:
I also do lots of mountain biking and can easily get 2 mountain bikes in the back of my S3 with luggage Etc without any problem, loads of room.

Well the S3 must be significantly different from the sportback then.
Either that or you're taking stuff off your mountain bikes to make it "easy".

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone on my post - I was not meaning the sportback was "better" or more "roomy" than an S3 for example - I was meaning (for me) the 5 doors just made it easier for me to get bikes in and out.

I would be happy with the 3 or 5 doors on the A3 ... but personally prefer the 5 doors.

And anything is easier than the 4 door impreza for biking ! :)

On the flip side - I do miss the 4WD of the scooby in this weather (greasy/slippy/cold) - the front wheel drive TDI is a bit too easy to spin the wheels after having 4WD for the past 8 years ... maybe the quattro would be better for me or just learn not to plant my right foot so much !

Ta.

bowfer said:
Well the S3 must be significantly different from the sportback then.
Either that or you're taking stuff off your mountain bikes to make it "easy".

Just take the front wheels off Bowfer, and lay them on top of each other with an old continental quilt in between to protect them. Also cover the inside of the car to protect it from all the mud and sh#*e. Easy really.

Mark

thanx for all the replies, and i take the point about the little difference between the 2.0T and the S3 in costs etc.
The sensible side of me is saying TDi but then am i ready to make the break from WRX/S3 performance. Hand on heart i probably am! LOL.
Im a soldier and the Army is getting new MAN Trucks with Tipmatic gearboxes. Full auto when you want it, and column shift when you dont. It, like DSG, has a clutch but only one, but has the same characteristics as one. I know its a truck etc, but some of the things mentioned on here, good and bad, about DSG have occured on our trucks. They to, have a Hill Start button, which is good.
But as i have mentioned its the mileage that i could be doing (i may fly back most of the time), which concerns. Although i hasten to say, not german fuel prices, but UK!!
Ill see on Monday what comes out.

markwiggy said:
Just take the front wheels off Bowfer

There you go.
Easy...if you take the wheels off....
I can get a fridge freezer in my car, if I reduce it to component parts.

;-)

bowfer said:
There you go.
Easy...if you take the wheels off....
I can get a fridge freezer in my car, if I reduce it to component parts.

;-)

Ah, but it will take some time to reduce the aforementioned to component parts, takes 5 seconds to remove a quick release front wheel.

Mark

Missus has had an 05 Sportback 2.0T Quattro Sport from new. Great car, great performance, rubbish economy. mid 20's, swapping for an 08 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro S Line in March. with Open Sky etc etc.. similar performance better economy. (Also getting a TT for some petrol fun, tried the S3, very quick and raw and for an older chap I think I might get into trouble too easily... I only saw 18mpg when we borrowed for a weekend!!)

R:salute:

Rick Glover said:
Missus has had an 05 Sportback 2.0T Quattro Sport from new. Great car, great performance, rubbish economy. mid 20's, swapping for an 08 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro S Line in March. with Open Sky etc etc.. similar performance better economy. (Also getting a TT for some petrol fun, tried the S3, very quick and raw and for an older chap I think I might get into trouble too easily... I only saw 18mpg when we borrowed for a weekend!!)

R:salute:

I seem to be warming to the TDI 170, but the question is do i wait till a facelifted A3 comes out (im not needing it till March onwards) and do i wait for the newer Diesel engine i hear is on the horizon??

smudgesmith said:
I seem to be warming to the TDI 170, but the question is do i wait till a facelifted A3 comes out (im not needing it till March onwards) and do i wait for the newer Diesel engine i hear is on the horizon??

Maybe wait for a test drive of the new A4, fitted with the new diesel?
They should be available for demo around Feb.
That way, you'll know whether the new diesel is worth waiting for in the A3.
It's only coming out in 143bhp in the A4 to start with, but I dare say that will change.

Yes, you maybe right. But you watch, see me signing up for a ****** S3 in March!!! LOL

Ruined a colleague's day in here today.
He's just ordered a 170 Golf.
I asked him "not waiting for the MK6?"
He went ".......the what?"

Oh dear...

smudgesmith said:

Go for the 170 - it is ****** quick and comfortable too - perfect. The 170 is definitely quieter than the 140 and has a nice grumble as the revs build up. Quattro would help in this weather though - 170ps through two wheels is a bit much at times (even in third!).

You would not regret it.

I agree. If you like the current A3 go for it. You may not like the face-lifted version and it may well be some time before a new diesel as powerful as the current 170 is available in the new diesel engine range. By then you may well be thinking of your next A3!

Facelifted A3's not out until July in Germany, unlikely before Sept Oct in UK. Agree with Bowfer (our D3 expert!) that the 143 will be out first and probably limited spec too.

Decided not to wait, current 200bhp Quattro Petrol is 3 in March, service MOT etc etc. :jester: We ordered our 170Sline Sportback 8 nov,Phantom Black, Open Sky 20spokes, roof bars etc.. it's being built Week 51. Try fo 12% discount.

Well as long as i can get the TDI looking as sporty as poss. Dont worry, im not a chav bling max power adder on!!! Even my Subaru is totally stock. Ill go for the S-Line definitly. I suppose the choice now is the DSG or Manual. Ill try for a test drive in a DSG on Mon.
As for discount, i can get a TDI 170 S Line, some goodies on for approx £20k. I know a company that will give further discount to HM Forces.
Lads in Germany tend to go through certain cars, depending what offers manufacturers were offering. A few years ago, loads of lads were buying SLK's. SAABS sell well as well as Audi's.
Ill have to see closer to March.

Smudge, I'm stationed in germany at the moment...don't forget that as well as getting an Audi with all tax off AND another 10% Forces discount from Audi, the running costs are much lower as well. My 2.0TFSi Sline Quattro costs only £300 per year fully comp, fuel is tax free over here for NATO (Eu65 for 100 litres of Shell VPower) so the lower mpg of an S3 vs a TDI really doesn't hurt the wallet.

smudgesmith said:

I think the facelift was due around June time, but don't hold your breath on the engine line up.

Jo Sharp said:
Smudge, I'm stationed in germany at the moment...don't forget that as well as getting an Audi with all tax off AND another 10% Forces discount from Audi, the running costs are much lower as well. My 2.0TFSi Sline Quattro costs only £300 per year fully comp, fuel is tax free over here for NATO (Eu65 for 100 litres of Shell VPower) so the lower mpg of an S3 vs a TDI really doesn't hurt the wallet.

Where did you get yours from? Audi or broker?
Whats the performance on your FSI like?

Bought from Audi.

2.0TFSi is excellent. Very smooth delivery of power across the rev range..much better than a diesel (had a Tdi 140 Touran before). The Sline ride is great and the quattro is brilliant for getting the power down in all road conditions

I swopped my 170TDI S Line for an S3. I personally still think the 170TDI is a cracking car. Despite what some say i liked the suspension, not overly firm and handled really well. Overall performance is good and the mid range torque is great. Despite the DPF thing which i found was no major problem my only critisicm having had a none quattro would be that it would try to spin the wheels in 1st/2nd when pushing hard. In comparison the S3 can plant all its power in most conditions with no fuss which to me shows just how good the quattro system is. Depends what sort of driving you want to do, the 170TDI is a very capable car with good handling and effortless overtaking ability. With the S3 speed can be deceiving as it does it without any drama untill you look at the clock and realise your carrying a lot more speed than you thought. Two very different cars but both good in their own way.

Well the performance of my WRX isnt too shabby, probably on par with the S3. But to tell you the truth, am i using all that performance? No, and probably 90% of owners in any of those type of cars dont either. Especially not in the UK. And besides im getting on a bit as well.
The suspension in the Subaru isnt too soft so i probably wouldnt notice how hard it is in the Audi. But whatever i get it will be in Quattro form.

DPF means Diesel Particile Filter. Some members of the forum have had some problems with the 170s related to the DPF. Personally I've had no problems at all. Do a search for DPF and it should bring up the thread.

bowfer said:
Maybe wait for a test drive of the new A4, fitted with the new diesel?
They should be available for demo around Feb.
That way, you'll know whether the new diesel is worth waiting for in the A3.
It's only coming out in 143bhp in the A4 to start with, but I dare say that will change.
There was an article in last week's Autocar about the upcoming diesel TT. That gets a 204bhp twin turbo version of the new 2.0TDI CR engine, so I would expect that it will find its way into the A3 and A4 to compete with BMW's 123D and 323D.

I have a front wheel drive 170. Its a quieter engine than the 140 but it isn't as frugal. I get around 42MPG at the moment compared to my Dads 140 Golf which will do anywhere from 47 upwards quite easily. But then mine is a suprising amount quicker than his. Still wouldn't be a patch on a Scoob so you might find that hard to adjust to!

Quattro would be nice I guess, as like someone else said if you are being brutal with it then 3rd gear wheelspin in this weather isn't out of the question but then that could be partly down to me not having got to grips fully with the car yet.

I've not had the DPF warning light come on.

Matt said:
I have a front wheel drive 170. Its a quieter engine than the 140 but it isn't as frugal. I get around 42MPG at the moment compared to my Dads 140 Golf which will do anywhere from 47 upwards quite easily. But then mine is a suprising amount quicker than his. Still wouldn't be a patch on a Scoob so you might find that hard to adjust to!

Quattro would be nice I guess, as like someone else said if you are being brutal with it then 3rd gear wheelspin in this weather isn't out of the question but then that could be partly down to me not having got to grips fully with the car yet.

I've not had the DPF warning light come on.

I had a go of a Golf TDI a bit ago, the one with the red D and red I(!) and was pretty impressed with the acceleration. Ill get used to the reduction in speed im sure. The Subaru is fast but past 70 but doesnt have a lot of torque so the 170 may not be that far away.

Well i took a trip to my local dealer, had a sit down chat with a salesman and actually i was impressed. No hard sell and i made sure he knew my situation and that i wasnt going to walk out with me signing up to a new car. But he listened to what i have now and what my future intentions were and i think im going to go for a A3 2.0TFSI.
Didnt even have a test drive, but i will on Sat, in a TFSI 2.0.