Is Hill Hold, Retro-Fittable to Audi A3??

fesss_84

Sylar
Reaction score
Does ayone know if its possible to add the Hill Hold feature to a Audi A3??

If so, which parts are needed and does it require use of Vag-Com???

Thanks

Waste of time mate!

I have it and it only hold for about 2 seconds and then releases just giving you enough time to find the bite point. Would have been better if it held fully until you move forward.

Don't see the need for it on a manual, but I would class it as an essential with DSG.

bowfer said:
Don't see the need for it on a manual, but I would class it as an essential with DSG.

I would tend to disagree with that :), I just use the handbrake like you would in a manual until the clutch takes up the drive.

Paul

I disagree too. Two smarts and two DSG Audis and I've never felt the function to be essential. If you can't swap one foot quickly between two pedals learn left foot braking.

Gti Jazz Blue said:
I would tend to disagree with that :), I just use the handbrake like you would in a manual until the clutch takes up the drive.

Paul

But that's assuming you can go.
If you can't go, you then have the car 'straining' against the handbrake, making the **** go down like a dog taking a dump.
Or you ignore the handbrake and you get rollback.
Or you put your left foot on the footbrake, which just confuses the hell out of the car.
Hill hold would make things a damned sight easier.
Or just make DSG 'lock up' and not roll back.

My DSG Audi never strains against the handbrake, but I put the car in 'N' after applying the handbrake, just as I would put a manual in neutral if waiting with the handbrake on.

daveyjp said:
My DSG Audi never strains against the handbrake, but I put the car in 'N' after applying the handbrake, just as I would put a manual in neutral if waiting with the handbrake on.

If waiting on a hill, in a manual car, you put the car into neutral?
Never, ever, heard of anyone doing that.
At lights or traffic jams, fair enough.
But never heard of anyone doing that whilst waiting at a hill junction.

No I use the foot brake as normal but at the moving off point nip the handbrake up and hold it ready to release as I take my foot off of the foot brake. So effectively just holding it on the hand brake for the delay between taking my foot off the brake and the clutchpack taking the strain.

Paul

thanks for that, but the question remains, is it retro-fittable???

persoanlly i dont use the hand brake much when im driving, unless im still for awhile, i tend to keep foot on foot brake, but i just thought the hill hold is ok, them two seconds can be helpfull first thing in the morning. even thought it doesnt eliminate using the foot brake altogether.

it just seems an easy retrofit, are my assumptions correct?

Thanks

i did some searches about it, but information is very scarce aboout this subject,

the hill hold doesnt have a button rather its programmed into the ABS ECU????

any ideas anyone, can anyone confirm this???

I think thats the case. No on/off switch but a case of it being part of the system

fesss_84 said:
Does ayone know if its possible to add the Hill Hold feature to a Audi A3??

If so, which parts are needed and does it require use of Vag-Com???

Thanks

Hi, I see where you got the motivation from ...:o.k:

Good luck with it!

Correct no on off switch and no way of telling you have it via lights ect,

Just works off the brake pedal!

seeems like the ABS ECU determines if u've got this feature, if anyone has access to Audi part list, the part-no, of ABS Ecu (With Hill Hold) would be great! for Audi A3 2006 2.0 TDi

The Etka parts list only lists the ABS ECU with the hill-hold fuction ( drive away assistance as it describes it) for 2007 onwards models. The part number for this is 1K0 614 517 AC. Whether this unit would be directly interchangable with your existing unit I've have no idea. I think you would need to seek expert advice from a dealer and the last thing you would want is problems with your braking system.

Personally I have the standard 'hill-hold' system fiited to my A3 and find it works very well. It called a hand-brake! Engage drive with the hand brake on, release the foot brake, apply light pressure to the throttle and then release the hand-brake. Works perfectly every time.

h5djr said:
Personally I have the standard 'hill-hold' system fiited to my A3 and find it works very well. It called a hand-brake! Engage drive with the hand brake on, release the foot brake, apply light pressure to the throttle and then release the hand-brake. Works perfectly every time.

Class! :applaus:

h5djr said:
Yeah, but perhaps he finds if difficult to do all that with the end of his skirt caught in the door.