19" RS4 replicas and rubbing?

DemianM

RWD sucks!
Reaction score
I have just received (but not mounted) my 19x8.5 replicas for my S3. I am unsure whether it will rub in the back with 235/35/19 tyres. The offset is ET 48 (supposely the correct one) so can anyone with this rims confirm this??

Thanks! :icon_thumright:

My fronts rub on full lock, backs are ok....I think you should be ok but I would have gone for 225's to be safe - Good luck.

marriedblonde said:
What offset did you go for?

J.

ET 48! Should be OK for 8 inch width but mine are 8.5!

I will mount Sumitomo HTRZII tyres, they seem narrow....if this helps!

I`d go with 225! I had 2 235 laying around with less than 500 kms and wanted a little bit more sidewall due to the terrible streets here.

It's not the width of the tyre that is causing the problem, it's the hight.
If you go for 235, go down to 30's (235/30/19).
This will reduce the circumference and will stop it rubbing on full lock.
It will also make your Speedo more accurate, as you are probably going faster than what the Speedo is showing.

People with the 19's. Do they not make the handling worse? Im going to get some lightweight 18's when my car arrives.

3.2 Ju said:
My RS4's are ET45, 19x8 with 235/35/19 and they do rub. I would be surpised if yours don't.
Mine is slightly lower than an S3, but it also rubbed at standard height although not by as much

Do you rub in the back, or both front and back? Which tyre brand are you using?

For the rears, you could try to remove the screw that holds the bumper to the fender, this helps a lot to reduce rubbing.

Just the back, The tyres are Khumo's, but I have no issue with the tyres!

I will go 225/35/19s then, all plastic will be getting removed from any of my arches, not having any rubbing of any kind and I'm not putting up with it, I'm getting coilovers to make my ride smoother and set it at the right ride height. I don't agree with the price of tyres the falkens I'm gettin cost the same in the 225 as with the 235.

Thanks

3.2 Ju said:
Just the back, The tyres are Khumo's, but I have no issue with the tyres!

Some tyre brands are much more "square" on the edges. Furthermore, some tyres are WIDER! Although the nominal size might be 235, the real width is quite different among brands....

I think I will machine the wheels a little bit (about 4mm) to gain a little more offset, this should clear the back fenders, but anyways, if the rubbing is not too much, you should look into the fenderliner, there is a screw which can be removed, or changed by a recessed head one and this will surely remove some rubbing.

Hope this helps!

Okey, Ill let you know how it goes, I hope I dont rub too much! :(

I've had 19" replica RS4's on my A3 since July, the rears rub on tight corners on an incline or if I have passengers in the back. I think this is largely due to running stock springs and dampers, the car drops around 2" on the rear with a car load of people.

I'm getting quotes now to fit Eibach Pro Kit springs and Pro dampers hoping stiffer suspension will alleviate this a little. My main concern is the offset on the front wheels which look almost flush with the wings.

I'm on 235/35/19 Avon ZZ3's.

Which offset and widht are you running? Do you know?

Your offset is quite low. Maybe you can machine a little bit of the inside of the wheels to bring the offset up a little, or you can also try removing the screws that hold the rear fenderliner to try :)

Machining the alloys sounds like a lot of work? Where would I get that done?

The rears will definately fit inside the arches, the front however...

I'll post some pics at the weekend when I've got some light.

Has anyone looked at where the wheels are rubbing ? If its catching on the lip of the arch then they can be rolled or modified with a modifying tool also know as a hammer. I'd be concerned that they were'nt catchting on the suspension or brake components.

Im running 215/35/19s on my 8.5 x 19s ET45 and the car is low as it goes on kw v2 coilovers ive had no rubbing from the back and only a little from the front when cornering hard. Give them a go before having them machined as the higher offset will sit pretty far in the arches which doesnt look right

ths is how mine looks
DSC_0032.jpg

A3simon said:
Im running 215/35/19s on my 8.5 x 19s ET45 and the car is low as it goes on kw v2 coilovers ive had no rubbing from the back and only a little from the front when cornering hard. Give them a go before having them machined as the higher offset will sit pretty far in the arches which doesnt look right

ths is how mine looks

Can you say............STRETCH????? :hubbahubba: I am running 235 tires on a 8,5 rim and it looks a little stretched! I cant imagine yours!!

Pics as promised, not sure I have the best angle on these. Tried the angle DemianM used but didn't work for me. The fronts are what I'm worried about.

19s-arch2.jpg

19s-arch3.jpg

There's more space on the rear arches and they already clear (and rub inside the arch).

19s-arch1.jpg

The car does ride pretty high atm, I can't see a drop of 25mm causing too many problems - drove to Birmingham yesterday (~170 miles) no rubbing with me and 1 passenger in the front.

car-sideshot.jpg

I think you will rub even more lowered.....eibach pro kits usually are quite soft.

Did you remove the screw that holds the fenderliner to the bumper?

Nope, not removed that screw.

The pro kit will be stiffer than the OEM springs and dampers though?

Not that much.....Even worse, they are progressive so the car will be lower and SOFTER for one part of the spring, and then it will get stiffer as you go further low on bumps.

Why dont you remove the screws first and try?

I'll give it a go. Will removing these screws cause any other issues? Will the fenderliner vibrate while driving if I remove these?

Please can some one tell me how much the Audi RS4 wheels are compared to Reps? Just out of interest.

sorry to go off subject a bit

thanks

I asked today about genuine Audi RS4 style to fit my S3

18X8JX ET 54 = £254+ VAT Each (same size as my S3 ones)

Most Reps seem to be either 45/42 et depending on who is measuring them.
Cheapest I have seen is £250 for four without tyres (18") no idea of the quality though

Can understand people having rubbing issues with reps as they are already 9mm nearer the bodywork without taking tyre size into consideration

Thanks for that. If I was going to do it, I would go for the 19" I think, Any idea how much they are off Audi?

Thanks

Nath

DemianM said:
I think I will machine the wheels a little bit (about 4mm) to gain a little more offset, this should clear the back fenders
Did you do this in the end?

No, my RS4 wheels are the replicas which have the most "curve", the spokes have a lot of curvature from the lip towards the center so the remaining material in the place where the bolts seat is not a lot, so I wouldnt be confortable riding on them with so little material left.....:no:

On the other hand, that was going to be my cure in case of serious rubbing but fortunately, I havent rubbed except while "jumping" a speedbump (something not so healty) but on otherwise realworld crusing the car does not rub at all (at least with 2 persons on board). I never carry passengers so I guess I am OK.

Some of the US guys on the vwvortex forum run 225/35x19 on 19x8.5et48 massively lowered and don't have any rubbing issues...so you should be fine.