6 Disc Changer - Is it MP3?

Yeh I know. But I've got so much music I'll use it all. I might sell the audi one and get an mp3 changer from s8craig. Thanks for all your help marc

N8KOW said:
Hi guys just wondering if the 6 disc changer I've ordered is MP3 compatible?

Not sure on the 6 cd changer but my Symphony II+ upgrade which takes 6 cds via the front slot is MP3 compatible.

MarcQuinlivan said:
not as far as I am aware. I believe CD Text and MP3 functionality was only introduced in the Gen II+ head units (and RNS-E).
The RNS-E does NOT have CD text or MP3 from the external CD changer.

Only the internal CD changer on the Symphony II+ can play MP3 CDs, not the external one.

The only way to read an MP3 CD with an RNS-E is to put it in the internal DVD drive - and have no navigation since that's where the map DVD has to go!

The only way to get track names on the RNS-E and have working navigation is to use the built-in SD card readers. Then you can use 2 x 4GB SD cards with the equivalent of 30 CDs worth of music on them.

N8KOW said:
s8craig does external MP3 cd changer, so I'll swap mine and get that dave, did u get my pm?
Good plan - though be aware that the external MP3 changer is NOT an Audi OE item (usually something like Sony or Panasonic) and you still won't get track names.

The only Audi OE MP3 CD changer is for MMI cars (and if your car takes an RNS-E then you DON'T have MMI - despite the startup screen saying MMI, blame an idiot marketing person for that little piece of stupidity).

PM replied to.

PetrolDave said:
The RNS-E does NOT have CD text or MP3 from the external CD changer.

Only the internal CD changer on the Symphony II+ can play MP3 CDs, not the external one.

The only way to read an MP3 CD with an RNS-E is to put it in the internal DVD drive - and have no navigation since that's where the map DVD has to go!

The only way to get track names on the RNS-E and have working navigation is to use the built-in SD card readers. Then you can use 2 x 4GB SD cards with the equivalent of 30 CDs worth of music on them.
um, isn't that what I said?

N8KOW said:
Yeh I know. But I've got so much music I'll use it all. I might sell the audi one and get an mp3 changer from s8craig. Thanks for all your help marc
do what I did and go for the PhatNoise jukebox. 20GB HDD in the boot with voice menus to guide you through playlists\albums\tracks\artists. Better that the 6 disc changer anyway.

My solution to this problem was to buy the Symphony 2 headunit and have a TomTom satnav. I don't like the Audi fitted nav anyway; the TomTom is a LOT cheaper and I can take it with me into other cars if needed. The Symphony 2 works well with MP3 discs showing the track titles on the unit as well as on the instrument info panel.

Also Can confirm that the RNS-E Does not read MP3 CD's from the 6 Disc Changer - only the Map DVD Slot Reads DVD's.... No need really when you can have 2 x 2gb cards! complete with all the songs under the sun!!!