Pile of Faults with New A3 S Line

Stitch_626

Reaction score
And it has been back to the Audi garage twice already...

Car is a 2.0 TDI 170 S Line 3 Door

Brand new car...

• One of the alloys was damaged on delivery to dealer... 18" 2 Part Machined 20 Spokers. (Now Replaced)
  • Rattle in Steering Column on cold start (Very Annoying) - Now Fixed
  • DVD Sat Nav (Buttons Flickering) when cabin lights dimmed down (No Fault Found) - Not done it again since!
  • Glove Box would not open properly (Was Tough as hell) then when opened would not close properly... had to slam 4 or 5 times to shut. (Seems to be fixed for now)
  • Ive noticed a Scratch on the "Inside" of the Instrument panel also... which has gone back to Audi UK and they have agreed to pay for a replacement... which is a Dash out job :( On a brand new car!!!
I had a 2006 Focus ST-2 before my Audi... and the build quality was far from great on it! But I never Ever experienced problems like this on that car!

Whats everyone's thoughts on this! Obviously I need to let the dealer have the chance to fix it, although Im not too happy about having my two week old car ripped to bits... but what can I do for an otherwise factory fault list...

Doesn't sound good. Surely the main issue is the PDI (or lack of it!) :ermm: :ermm:

You have every right to be picky. Re the Glovebox, have had that problem, fixed by Bristol Audi (05 2,0T Quattro Sport transferred from Aberdeen!!).
Hope our new TT and A3 Sportback 170 Sline Quattro ETA March fare better than yours. Great cars though!! (Black of course):hubbahubba:

Damn, thats pretty unlucky! I agree with Rick, every right to be picky! Espesh on a new car... My glove box opens fine but got to be slammed a bit to close so guessing its how they are.

I think I'll be sending mine in for a check coz the sub dont have the same kick as the one they gave me had before my car was ready.

Thats what you get for copying your mate and buying the same car hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I bet the really annoying thing is that your mate's one was faultless.
Like my one drinking oil and others not.
Audi's 'variable build quality', no other explanation.
The hell with the dash being rippe out, that's just asking for rattles.
They're not the most rattle-free car at the best of times.
Bummer for you though, sorry.

I think Bowfer may be disappointed with BMW build Quality these days. The new 3 series is nothing like as well screwed together as Audi's A3, and we have had 3!!:detective2:

Luck of the draw i guess some are perfect like mine and some are prone to niggly little things

My glovebox takes a bit of force to shut it. Just thought that was how they were meant to be!

Yip Glove box occasionally requires a belt but not so tight it won't open. Same on my old Sportback and my S3 so common i guess amongst 8P's

Somethings down to transit. But the interior stuff na it shouldn't have happened.

Its not good to have this on new car. Wouldn't want dash out only asking for further trouble :scared2:

Is there not a grace period where you could still hand car back if not happy or is it one of those you need to give garage a chance to rectify.

Every manufacturer has a bad apple, unfortunately you may have got one of those =/

Not saying it's "ok", just pointing out that it shouldn't make you question mark the whole brand but I wouldn't blame you if you did.

?reject the car and ask for a new one
premium brand shouldn't be that ropey. I was cheesed off when my first VW Touran was cr@ppily put together but if the A3 arrives dud I will be seriously miffed. Maybe someone's advice to view the car pre - PDI makes sense?

If any dealer had to remove the dash from my NEW CAR to rectify a fault, it wouldn't be my car any longer.

There is no way I would accept the car, it is extremely difficult to remove a dashboard and refit it perfectly without incurring squeaks for the rest of its life.

With so many niggles on a car I'd be worried what else was assembled in a shoddy manner. Certainly not what you'd expect from a brand like Audi :no:

I thought there was a rule where if you took a brand new car back 3 times to main dealer, you can reject it and get a replacement...

I had a new 170 TDI S Line for about a year, never had any problems on collection or after. Hope you get it sorted ok.

bowfer said:
Ach well, I'm used to rattles now.
I thought Alpinas were hand-built - maybe you'll be okay!

The glovebox on mine refused to shut properly from new, but time seems to have cured it - it's fine now.

emzino said:
I thought there was a rule where if you took a brand new car back 3 times to main dealer, you can reject it and get a replacement...

And wait another 6 Months for another... I dont think so!

I think I will let them take their corrective action... if it rattles or so much as a squeek - it will go straight back!!!

What's with all the Ibis White Cars these days, I know you get it free but is it the new yellow? Discuss;)

Not had any of the problems above that I can think of on current or previous A3's. Must as others have said there must be the odd few bad ones which ain't good :(

Rick Glover said:
What's with all the Ibis White Cars these days, I know you get it free but is it the new yellow? Discuss;)

They say white is the new silver....

I think it is because the Manufacturers have started producing a Very Crisp white.... Which the buyers seem to like... its fashionable and gets the looks!

suppose it is like Orange Focus ST's really.... people are more shocked that someone has bought a white car.... and its a treat on the motorway with the Xenon+ and the White car haha People get out your way ;)

Our local Police are now buying silver cars. 'Silver is the new white' for them, I understand the change is due to the expectation of getting better residual values. Who wants a White 5 series BMW?

So on the M4 /M5 people are unlikely to mistake you for a PC Car, more like 'White Van Man' Think we'll stick to Black!:cool:

haha too true -all the Plod cars up this way Still white... but the Unmarked ones a host of metallic colours....