S3 TYRES

S

S3 LTN

Orite guys,

Need some info about new tyres for my S3. Need changing pretty soon so confused about which ones to get....
My ideal choice would be the Goodyear Eagle F1s. Always put them on all my cars.
:think:
Now should i stick to them or are there In Your Opinion better tyres out there for it?

Cheers

Mine will be getting Good year eagle F1 assymetrics soon. Read a test in one of the mags that covered all the main brands, this tyre came out tops.

Mark

Nope. Goodyear Eagle F1s are the best performance tyres money can by S3! Ur old S3 must have been fast. U gonna take the new 1 to 400bhp?

Great eagle F1s it is then.
Cheers lads.

N8KOW said:
U gonna take the new 1 to 400bhp?

Previous S3 was awesome.. stattering performance. But with the new one its ok as it is... Putting her up soon.
But 400bhp well ... im contemplating the thought of a RS4 for early next year... if things go well. :thumbsup: Fingers crossed.

I also rate Mich Piliot Sports 2 aswell, not much difference between the two and I think a bit more grip on the Mich.

Michs are just as good though... i have to admit... plently of people i know use them too...
Ok...
other question.... How much you reckon they are price wise per tyre??
size 18 225s

S3 LTN said:
Michs are just as good though...

They actually finished 5th in the Evo test,way behind the GY, mate of mine who has a tyre firm reckons they are pants.

Mark

Having burned four tyres in 19,000 miles, two Conti SC2, SC3's I'm on the Eagle F1 Assy.

Without a doubt the best tyres I've ever had. The front end grip when cornering is superb and the wet handling is amazing.

CJP80 said:
I'm on the Eagle F1 Assy.

Without a doubt the best tyres I've ever had. The front end grip when cornering is superb and the wet handling is amazing.

How much did you pay for them. Any idea yet as to how many miles they will last, i remember having a set of GY eagle's on a Astra GTE in the early nineties and the grip was fantastic but they did not last long.

Mark

markwiggy said:
They actually finished 5th in the Evo test,way behind the GY, mate of mine who has a tyre firm reckons they are pants.

Mark

5th!!! Blimey... Got to persuade some people they got thet wrong tyres on.

N8KOW that IS a good price... i got a similiar price from a place in Bracknell... your ones still work out slighty cheaper...
Think il give them a call tomorrow for more info.
Nice one bud.

Mark

i also reckon they dont last as long... On my old S3 one gave way after i think not even 200miles! And then replaced that one only for the rear one to pop coupla weeks later...
So i dont know ... found that abit concerning but il still give them the benefit of the doubt.

N8KOW said:
£86 delivered

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s134p9482

You just need someone to fit them. Pro Tyre in Bristol charge £11.50 a corner...so = £97.50 a tyre. use that price as a guide. if you can get a local garage to fit the for cheap then youre laughing

Look again!..Those are Eagle F1 GSD3's...The Eagle F1 Asymmetrics are apparently the replacement of the GSD3's..Doubt you will get Asymetrics at that price...I have been pricing around all week for Asymetrics and the cheapest so far is £96 delivered for 225/40 R18 or £108 delivered for 235/40 R18.

N8KOW said:
Avons and Falkens are good premium tyres, but not high performance tyres.

FALKEN FK 452 are the best performance tyres I' ve ever had. I used to have them on my BMW 330d. According to many members of BMW forum (BMWLand)which is twice as big as our forum they are the best performace tyres on the market although quite cheap. They are reccomended by many BMW M3 users which use them on the track (Nurbergring etc). I used to use Michelin Pilot Sport2, Dunlop sp 9000, Dunlop sport max and Good Year F1(all on BMW 330d) and I still believe Falkens FK 452 are better and give more grip and better traction.........and cost half of the price of some tyres I mentioned. Do you know they use to come as standard tyres on Nissan Skyline so don`t tell me they are premium tyres as standard S3 wouldn`t stand a chance with standard skyline.

kanievsky said:
FALKEN FK 452 are the best performance tyres I' ve ever had.

Could'nt agree more mate! :icon_thumright:

Best tyres i've had on any car to date regardless of price, the fact that i can get 4 new ones fitted and balanced for £300 is a happy bonus, i'd have no problem paying £500 for them!

Bought them after hearing nothing but good reports and not finding 1 bad report anywhere, waaay better than the Michelin PS i had on my MKV GTI and night and day different to the OE Conti's on the A3..

Tested on the 'Ring in both wet and dry and they inspire huuuge confidence and if you wear a set out you won't be devastated due to the price ;)

I was originally torn between the Falkens and the Eagle F1 GSD3 but found out that the version of the GSD3 that won all the awards etc was the German made version, this has now been discontinued and all the GSD3's in 225/40/18 are the Chinese made version which has a slightly different tread compound and doesn't recieve the universal praise it's german counterpart did...

Also beware very cheap deals on GSD3's as there are some 'Grey' import versions out there which are only designed for the far eastern market and not DOT approved for the UK!

HTH

Had falken 452 on my mini (230 bhp) Looked at various tyres read the road tests and decided that I would happily loose a bit of dry grip for better wet grip (got through a set of std runflats in 5000 miles) very good all round tyre

Try ringing Micheldever tyres (just outside Winchester might be enough saving to warrant the trip)

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
I'm actually getting Falken's for my 19s. I'm not paying the money for the goodyear as my A3 isn't a performance car. My friend has had the Falkens on his BM for years, he got 13k out of his last set of rears 265/30/19. He has been ranting and raving about them, and they are very cheap also. So I'll give em a go, and tell you what they are like!

N8KOW said:
I'm actually getting Falken's for my 19s. I'm not paying the money for the goodyear as my A3 isn't a performance car. My friend has had the Falkens on his BM for years, he got 13k out of his last set of rears 265/30/19. He has been ranting and raving about them, and they are very cheap also. So I'll give em a go, and tell you what they are like!

Any idea what your mate paid for his tyres?
That's the size my new motor needs at the back.
Cheapest tyres I've seen (forget the make) were around £190 a pop (sic).

Yeh the falkens are cheap bowfer. www.falkentyres.co.uk, he paid £130 fitted from pro tyre in Bristol. You need to order the tyres from the web and find a local garage to you who will fit them, do some research asto how much they charge a corner. Pro tyre charges £11.50 a corner to fit. Keep that in mind.

Thanks

I had Goodyear eagle F1 in my scooby and It was the worst choise i have ever made. This tyres are to soft. I have to change my continental sportcontact for something better. I am thinking on:
- Brigeston RE070 (perfect tyres but no when it is rainning)
- Pirreli PZero
- Michelin SportCup

My frined told my taht Yokohama have good semi-sport tyres.

N8KOW said:
Yeh the falkens are cheap bowfer. www.falkentyres.co.uk, he paid £130 fitted from pro tyre in Bristol. You need to order the tyres from the web and find a local garage to you who will fit them, do some research asto how much they charge a corner. Pro tyre charges £11.50 a corner to fit. Keep that in mind.Thanks

God, that is cheap for 265/30 19's.
That isn't a lot more than I've been paying for 225/40 18's.

bowfer said:
God, that is cheap for 265/30 19's.
That isn't a lot more than I've been paying for 225/40 18's.

I had my odered through local garage and the price was about the same as on the internet.

N8KOW said:
Thats what happens when you do your research bowfer :icon_thumright: and not relying on local garage.

I don't pay for my tyres, but I still like to keep an eye on prices.
Make sure they're not getting comfy and charging us over the odds.

N8KOW said:
Well it sounds like the have been overcharging you! What tyres does the D3 use and what will you be replacing them with.

They haven't been overcharging me, they've been reasonably competitive on tyre prices for my A3.
Just under £100 fitted, for Dunlop Sportmaxxes, for example.
I think the D3 uses Michelin Pilot Sport II's, or something like that.

Ok... so lads.... which ones then..??? FALKEN FK 452 or the GOODYEAR F1s... bare in mind im not keepin the car too long after... until beginning of next year.
Actually i suppose it will have to be the Falkens ... good wet grip as it is winter. hmmmm...... FALKENS then????

Review of the Falkens here

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/falken-fk452-longterm-test.htm

Note the sudden loss of wet weather grip they note?
I found the same with F1's.
Loads of wet grip, but they would let go suddenly.
Which ultimately limits confidence and speed.
My current Dunlop Sportmaxxes may not offer the out-and-out wet grip of F1's, but they slide more progressively, so I reckon I'm faster on them.

Cheers bowfer just read it that... Very helpful.
The S3 is quite a bumpy ride and the idea of the Falkens being quiet and comfortable is reassuring.
How much are the Dunlops for anyway?
Im just reading about every tyre now on that link.... :icon_thumright:

I must admit, I found the added comfort of my sportmaxxes quite welcome after the F1's too.
Mine were just under £100 each, fitted.
They're 90% as good as F1's, 90% of the time.

My friend who has had them cannot rate the falkens highly enough. The best way is to learn from your personal experience. Pirelli nowadays seem to have gone downhill but my cousins TT on P Zero Neros, the handling is superb!!! So its all opinions, best to get the falkens and see for yourself.

Yeah... going to make the order for the FALKENS, reviews are postive... quiet and comfortable not so good on wet roads... but im hardly going to push the car in the wet (very civilised driver) great grip in the dry plus they cheaper than alot of the other brands...