Groaning/grinding noise from brakes

katsumoto

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, would appreciate any help/info you're willing to give.

Here's my problem, I recently bought the A3 Sportback, 1.6 (in Taiwan) and have been experiencing "problems" with the brakes. When I brake (at low speeds, almost at a stop) the brakes groan. Then when I let go the brakes, they groan. Almost like "brake creep"? But, it gets even worse when I turn my steering wheel when reversing/parking. The noise is loud and seems as if something from the front all the way to the back grinds/groans. Also, after driving for while, the noise is softer (maybe cause the brakes are hot).

When I let the brakes go a little while reversing, then the sound gets softer.

I've taken it to the dealer and they say it's "normal", I suspect they didn't get to hear the noise when they tested it.

Any info? or experience with this?

Could it be the steering rack problem that I hear most A3's have?

Sigh....
:bye: thanks!

Hi, welcome. Just a suggestion from me: make sure that there is no small stones trap between the black round plate behide the disk brake and the disk brake itself.

I've had this happen to me twice since I got my car, mostly due to open concept alloy design and too many loose stones on the country road.

I have attach a picture here but it might not be clear enough to show the back plate behide the disk brake. It is the shiny black rim you see around the disk brake. Give it some force to push the plate inwards to see if any small stones are stuck in between.

One or more pistons may be sticking in the calipers, or copper grease needs to be applied to the rear of the pads. I would take that to another dealer, preferably one with a fresh set of batteries in his hearing aid. Brake problems should always be respected. Ultimately, they can lead to you having an unscheduled afternoon out with your local undertaker.

Until Friday we had not heard of this BUT , stone trapped between disc and backplate caused major noise. Audi technician travelled 30 miles and sorted in 30 seconds, they know the problem well!!

Rick

A3 2.0T Sportback Quattro Sport until March when TT arrives and a 2.0TDi SLine Sportback Quattro with Sky!:jester: (Phantom Black of course!)

Thanks for all the info! Definitely going to get the dealers to look at it FOR ME, after giving them a piece of my mind! Audi's service in Taiwan is well known....for the @#$@ that they dish out....

hey all, back onto this old post again. here's my update, I took it to the stealers for my 20k service and also told them again about my problem with the brakes (noise). they said they checked blah blah and no problems found. Then I got a call from the service department a few days later asking doing a survey about their services etc. I gave them the lowdown and told them that my "problem" still hadn't been fixed. noise still there. so they asked me to take it in again, they checked it again and still nothing. they even let me drive another a3 1.6 to hear that the noise is "common" and normal.

now i'm wondering whether the other A3 1.6 i drove was just another one there taken in for the same problem and they played me!

the question is, do you 1.6'ers out there also hear a grinding (brake creep) sort of noise when coming to a stop or parking your car?