S3 Owners - Running In

L33TAY

Reaction score
Hi all S3 owners

Just a quick question on the running in regime you had with your new cars.

Read a few posts that have said that owners have ragged their cars to within an inch of their lives from day one, and they have great performance results to boot.

Others have run in carefully, not sure of performance there?

After all the car is under warranty!

What is the general consensus??

I was told that the modern engines don't need to be run-in as they used to.
However it was suggested to "take it easy" for the first 500miles!

Hope that helps,
Mike

Personally, I would suggest you do exactly as is stated in your owners handbook. The car makers do tend to know a little about making cars. But, if you decide to take no notice and risk wrecking it I'm sure the salesmans friends and colleagues in the service department will be delighted to pull it all apart for you and charge Audi for the pleasure of bodging it all back together for you...

I ran mine in very carefully until 1000 miles and so far used no oil at all.
I was very gentle until 500 miles and graduallly increased up to 4000 rpm by 800 miles and kept it at that until 1000 miles. After that :icon_thumright:

prt

Thanks for your coments guys, I will probably go down the 500m and 1000 mile route, taking it pretty easy.

I'm sure the temptation will get the better of me now and again :no: , however, i'm sure it won't do it any harm with the occasional blip!!:thumbsup:

drive it normally - not too hard , let it cool down proper if you give it some stick.

Then again ... 'i had my car on the dyno at 100km and remapped at 700km ;)

Yes will be taking it easy for first 1000, then it'll be booked in for either GIAC or Bluefin, not sure which one yet.

Hearing a lot of good stuff re. this GIAC remap, only a handful of places supply it tho, and think it maybe on the pricey side.

Then Let rip!:hubbahubba:

I just drove mine normally. Fair bit of acceleration over 3k here and there, odd occasion up to 5k mark (not very often though). Generally I kept it to under 2/3rds of the range as mentioned somewhere (in the manual I think). No problems with the car, its done about 4,000 miles now and I still havent put any oil in it. Main thing about running in is all the other bits - tyres/brakes/clutch etc - take it easy on those bits for a while and let them settle in.