S3 retro fit cruise control

mikey_abz

2007 Audi S3
Reaction score
Hi,

I got my new S3 back in October the car was completely standard however I asked for cruise to be retro fitted by the Audi dealer.
This was accepted but a few days before I collected the car they had stated the hardware had been installed but there was a problem interfacing/mating it to the car(due to software issues)!!

I was NOT charged for the hardware but I would still like the cruise control to eventually work.

Has anyone else heard of this problem or even encountered it and had it resorted?

Regards,
Mike :thumbsup:

If you have access to VAG-COM you need to read the part number for the steering wheel ecu.

Basically all you need is the Control stalk, bottom half of the steering column cowl, the correct steering ecu and a bit of coding with VAG-COM so the car knows its there.

It's a really easy job so I have no idea why your dealer had problems?

The only thing I can think of is that you do not currently have the correct ecu.

Not sure if that helps or not?

The stalk has been installed next to the steering wheel but it is defunct. I bought the car on Anglesey, North Wales and was told there was a software problem (code or lack of it) and that if it becomes available my local (Aberdeen) branch could program it!
I called the local branch yesterday and was told they had a similar problem with retro fitting cruise control on a new TT a few weeks back! and they were unable to get it to work!

Mike

All I can tell you is that I retrofitted cruise for my 2007MY A3 2.0TDi S-line and it was an easy job. There was no software update necessary and all I did was replace the steering ECU (as I had the wrong one for cruise), then installed the new stalks and then a little bit of coding to enable it.

It was done and dusted in under an hour.

Your car may be different I suppose as it will be a 2008MY?

marms said:
All I can tell you is that I retrofitted cruise for my 2007MY A3 2.0TDi S-line and it was an easy job. There was no software update necessary and all I did was replace the steering ECU (as I had the wrong one for cruise), then installed the new stalks and then a little bit of coding to enable it.

It was done and dusted in under an hour.

Your car may be different I suppose as it will be a 2008MY?

Hi,
Sorry to hi-jack this but ... I have a Feb 2007 A3 2.0TDI (140) s-line with no cruise but would like to retro fit - do you have any partnumbers etc you had to find to do this retro fit ? You said you had to change the steering ECU ? and where did you buy the cruise control arm from and the ECU module ?
Do you have approx. costs it cost you to retro fit ?
The little bit of coding to enable it ? this is the VAGCOM stuff ? again I have no vagcom cable or software and not too sure which one I need as there seem to be many variations of the cables etc ...

Sorry, hope you can advise ...

Drop vagparts an email with your car details, they'll sell you the cruise stalk and the new lower cowel. If you have a MFSW (multifunction steering wheel) the stalk you need is 8P0 054 690A @ £36.91+vat. The new lower column cowling in black is 8P0 953 512A 6PS @ £17.59+vat, delivery is via Parcelforce @ £7. If you don't have the MFSW you'll need the a new steering ECU and this I think is around £100, maybe Marms can post the price he paid for you.

JohnS3 said:
maybe Marms can post the price he paid for you.

I could but I'm away from home for a few days now so if noone else confirms the part number by the time I get home, I'll dig them out for you.

If you are not too happy about doing all this yourself I think AwesomeGTI can fit it for you for around £200 all in. I always thought this a bit strange because they quote one price regardless of whether you need the ecu or not.

From memory the ecu was about £85.

You don't actually have to own VAG-COM to do the mod yourself. I'm sure if you give a general location in the country then there will be someone local to you would would be wiling to help with this bit.

marms said:
I could but I'm away from home for a few days now so if noone else confirms the part number by the time I get home, I'll dig them out for you.

If you are not too happy about doing all this yourself I think AwesomeGTI can fit it for you for around £200 all in. I always thought this a bit strange because they quote one price regardless of whether you need the ecu or not.

From memory the ecu was about £85.

You don't actually have to own VAG-COM to do the mod yourself. I'm sure if you give a general location in the country then there will be someone local to you would would be wiling to help with this bit.

Thanks Marms for the info and advice - much
appreciated. Will give it some more thought and research.

Again thanks.