JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance

Thread: Trackers

6th Gear

Status

Trackers

Anyone any experience of tracking devices for their motor?
    I'm wondering if you can pay a monthly fee, rather than a large one-off bill?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Last time I looked into this with Tracker you could pay a one off fee (300) or an annual fee (100). They didn't have the option of monthly payments. I'm unsure of the other products though.

6th Gear

Status
    I'll have to investigate.
    I've never worried about it before, because the cars I've had have been 'normal' models, easily replaced from stock if they're stolen.
    It was difficult enough getting a D3 in the first place though.
    Trying to replace a nicked one would be even worse, so I'd want it back!

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    Last time I looked into this with Tracker you could pay a one off fee (300) or an annual fee (100). They didn't have the option of monthly payments. I'm unsure of the other products though.
    Is that a one off fee for the car? ie no matter who owns it etc
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry, should have mentioned that it was for as long as you were the current owner. You also have to have the thing maintained (new battery and tested) too, can't rember if this was every 1 or 2 years.

is a retronaut

Status
    How often do cars get nicked now? I know they're a lot harder to steal so thieves have to resort to car jacking or nicking the keys now.

I'm not suggesting a tracker isn't a good idea, I have just noticed that it's not very often we hear about stolen cars on here.
    8P2 S3

6th Gear

Status
    Aside form the usual www.tracker.co.uk brand name, you boys might benefit from a company called www.trackstar.co.uk.
    They seem a bit cheaper, but they don't have any dealers anywhere near me.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000
    How often do cars get nicked now? I know they're a lot harder to steal so thieves have to resort to car jacking or nicking the keys now.I'm not suggesting a tracker isn't a good idea, I have just noticed that it's not very often we hear about stolen cars on here.
    I do remember someone on here mentioning they had been 'keyjacked' at their home.
    I'm not so much paranoid about it getting nicked.
    I'm just a bit paranoid I wouldn't get a replacement if it was nicked, it being a limited run car, with no updated model on the horizon.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    I do remember someone on here mentioning they had been 'keyjacked' at their home.
    I'm not so much paranoid about it getting nicked.
    There was an RS4 last week and that's all I can remember.

I am more concerned about someone smashing a window than it being stolen. That'd be bad enough.
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    Avoid Trackstar like the plague as you are basicly paying for nothing.

When I owned a WRX my insurance company would not cover the car without a tracker fitted. I dutifully had a Trackstar unit fitted. The blurb said that the unit would operate if the car was lifted without the ignition switched on etc and said that you ust ring them and let them know if the car is being lifted or transported without the ignition turned on.

What a load of tosh!! My car was transported a couple of times on a flat bed with no keys in it, and when I sold the car I didn't let them know to see if I ever received a call ................ never have. Alot of Subaru owners with Trackstar units phoned Trackstar HQ to check if it was working and hardly any people had units that could be contacted by HQ.

The other joke about the Trackstar unit is that it contacts HQ via an inbuilt moble phone unit. if you are in a poor signal area, underground or otherwise unable to get a mobile signal its useless. Any half brained thief can locate the control box by waving a portable radio around the car until it picks up the mobile interference and then remove the sim or unit complete.

Trackstar really are a complete waste of money. The best anti car theft device seems top be the Blackjax unit which lets the car be driven a few hundred yards and then disables it.

6th Gear

Status
    I know the reason you ask is due to the cars exclusivity but would you really want it back after it had been nicked and potentiallt abused ?

I used to have a tracker on my high spec Golf 150PD but it works out fairly expensive with annual/lifetime subsription & installation fee - this time around I negotiated a decent premium for GAP insurance and would just prefer a new car in any unfortunate event - guess this doesn't help you as its a company car, I guess if this is all you have to personally shell out to drive an exclusive motor its probably worthwhile in your case.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin140
    I know the reason you ask is due to the cars exclusivity but would you really want it back after it had been nicked and potentiallt abused ?
    It would depend, I suppose.
    Simply stolen and recovered, pending being sold abroad, possibly.
    Stolen and joyridden to death, probably not.

1st Gear

Status
    My tracker costs more a year, than i save on insurance, whats the point for me.
    Insurer TSB good price to start with.
    S-Line

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stan
    My tracker costs more a year, than i save on insurance, whats the point for me.
    None, but (not being cheeky) your car would be easily replaced from stock, or even factory order.
    I wouldn't be able to do that, they're like upbeat Coldplay records.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    they're like upbeat Coldplay records.

LOL
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Neutral

Status
    Ive just bought an a3 which has a tracker fitted to it, dealer had it done as was one of their exdemos, and apparently they have all their demos fitted with them. never had one before, but think it would be good idea. Odd thing was my insurance company (Esure) didnt change the quote when I told them it had one fitted.

My parents neighbour has had his golf gttdi nicked from his driveway couple of times now. Broke into house just for the keys, then off they went. Hes got it back, but think the tracker would come into play if that was to happen.

Hope I never have to use it, but its there just incase. But if its not going to make insurance quotes cheaper, its got me thinking if I need it or not
    Audi A3 sline sportback 170 in silver. Bose symphony II sound system, tracker, auto light/wiper function, polished roof rails and ofcourse not forgetting the armrest.

6th Gear

Status
    There is, of course, an argument that a tracker equipped vehicle stands more chance of leading to a conviction.
    More convictions = less car thieves = we all benefit.

Uber Post Whore

Status
    I've had tracker retrieve and tracker horizon fitted before, they are good for peace of miind, and like you say Bowfer would hopefully lead to the thieves downfall. I paid annually, around £100 ish.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Reverse Gear

Status
    My car also came from the dealers with a Tracker fitted (ex-demo car).
    I looked into the costs for activating it in my name and to start with they wanted a transfer fee of owner (think it was about 30) then about 120 a year subscription. Think I could have paid about 350 for lifelime coverage (which = whilst I own the car).

I decided not to bother subscribing and changing the registration simply due to the fact that I would no way get the 150 off my insurance.
    As has been said on here a few times already if the car gets nicked then its relatively easy to replace. After all I wouldn't want the car back after it had been stolen (happened to me before and I had to sell the car prety much straight away as it felt like someone had violated my personal space).
    If the car was a rare breed it would be a different story.

Taken GAP insurance though in order to make sure I can get a new car if it goes walkies!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I was thinking this but have any of you guys seen fingerprint recognition alarms?

http://www.atrd.co.uk/productsrange_aty-1.html

*peace of mind*

1st Gear

Status
    If you are worried about the keys being stolen from your house, buy one of the little electronic number code safes from B&Q or similar and store your keys in it. Only takes a few seconds to open and if it secured properly to a solid wall, the pikeys won't be able to take it with them.
    S3 Sportback DSG in Sprint Blue with mag ride, interior lights, Bose, parking sensors.

and...

99 TT Roadster

I cant spell !

Status
    Always thinks as trackers as been insurance for the insurance company !
    Personally I dont want my car back if it been stolen. And I only fit them if cant get insurance without one, and never had a quote reduced by that much to cover the cost of the tracker / on going fees !
    But I do like to keep it secure so prefer the blackjax anti hijack option which should not let the car get far enough away to get damaged !

Richard
    Last edited by richs2891; 8th December 2007 at 21:55.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Sharp
    If you are worried about the keys being stolen from your house, buy one of the little electronic number code safes from B&Q or similar and store your keys in it. Only takes a few seconds to open and if it secured properly to a solid wall, the pikeys won't be able to take it with them.
    That'll only work if they break in while you're not there though.
    More and more of these things are happening 'by menace'.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Bowfer I've seen 3 D3 Alpina's this weekend. Just to let you know, they're not that exclusive round warrington/manchester area.