Benefits of RNS-E (DVD Nav) Over a factory fitted standard

fesss_84

Sylar
Reaction score
This is for all the guys with factory fitted double din systems, or even single din (retro-fit) that are considering the RNS-E.....some help from RNS-E drivers please

what are the major benefits of the RNS system, apart from DVD navigation (which i dont think will be as good as tom tom) is it worth £400 - £500??

how does it integrate with other add on in car such as bluetooth (can you scroll through phonebook, and access menus from phone)??

will the 6-disk autochanger still be compatible?? at the moment mine is behind the dash but i think its buit into the factory fitted and cannot be seperated, is this true?

does it work with DIS at all? im assuming it function with MFSW, as you would expect volume, station search etc..

does it work with ipod?? and i think it also has television function...does this require anything other than a antenna?

1 more thing, will the bose system sound the same quality, does the RNS-E connect with bose??

sorry for the long posting, im sure it will benefit a more than a few heads out there.

fesss_84 said:
This is for all the guys with factory fitted double din systems, or even single din (retro-fit) that are considering the RNS-E.....some help from RNS-E drivers please

what are the major benefits of the RNS system, apart from DVD navigation (which i dont think will be as good as tom tom) is it worth £400 - £500??

It has two SD card slots, fill em up with music and away you go. Track names on the display too. The nav directions are displayed on the DIS with voice prompts too. Never used a TOM TOM and wouldn't really want one clinging to the windscreen.

how does it integrate with other add on in car such as bluetooth (can you scroll through phonebook, and access menus from phone)??

It is a perfect adition to the GSM kit and MFSW. You can scroll through the phone book, but no texting stuff.

will the 6-disk autochanger still be compatible?? at the moment mine is behind the dash but i think its buit into the factory fitted and cannot be seperated, is this true?

Yes it works with the factory fitted autochanger.

does it work with DIS at all? im assuming it function with MFSW, as you would expect volume, station search etc..

Yes it works with the DIS and MFSW.

does it work with ipod?? and i think it also has television function...does this require anything other than a antenna?

It works with the ipod but you need a Dension gateway if you want to keep your exsting CD changer. No track names on the display though.

1 more thing, will the bose system sound the same quality, does the RNS-E connect with bose??

Yes, sure does.

john your a star!! cheers mate! my next investment will be one of those most likely, will i need to purchase another 6-disk cd changers, or will it work directl from te slot in dash (like mine does now)??

is the TV function worth the extra bit of bob?? im thiking its connected to the handbrake, so it can only be viewed when hand brake is on, can this be bi-passed so it assumes the handbrake is up constantly.

fesss_84 said:
john your a star!! cheers mate! my next investment will be one of those most likely, will i need to purchase another 6-disk cd changers, or will it work directl from te slot in dash (like mine does now)??

is the TV function worth the extra bit of bob?? im thiking its connected to the handbrake, so it can only be viewed when hand brake is on, can this be bi-passed so it assumes the handbrake is up constantly.
the TV is blacked out once the car goes above 5mph. There is a software hack (which I have done to my RNS-E) which sets this value to 250mph - so unless you are going down a really steep and long hill you will never go fast enough to disable the screen.

I've not installed a tuner yet, but it is next on my list, along with a dvd player.

the slot in the dash, as you call it, only holds one disc, so if you want to play more than one disc you'll need the external changer.

lol 250 mph, my cars only got 160 on the clock and iv had it at about 145, so 250 is impossible for me

fesss_84 said:
Do you mean you have the Symphony II head unit with the built-in changer? If so, then there's good news and bad news - the good news is that the RNS-E will swap straight in with an adapter. The bad news is that you won't have any CD changer afterwards, only MP3s via the SD card slots in the RNS-E. You can however buy an external one that connects to the RNS-E - it sits in the glovebox.

MarcQuinlivan said:
I think the value of 250mph was chosen because the RNS-E is also available for the Gallardo.

Its stored as a byte, hence maximum of 255.

Usual post. I didn't know the bluetooth with the RSN-E didn't display text messages though, I might have to retrofit bluetooth me thinks!!

will the RNS-E show navigation direction on my DIS even though its only 1/2 DIS inside the speedometer circle in the dash.
can someone help me identify, which type of DIS i have. i think they come in two sorts, at the moment iv only seen the actual DIS BETWEEN the rev and speedometer show me when doors are opened and these are simply done with a single red LED lighting up. behing a cut out of shape of car if you understand what i mean.

how does installing the more advanced digital speedo mean i have to change my entire dash insert, therefore my mileage will be lost ???

if its really as bad as ur saying about people crashing and stuff, then it sounds abit scary...they should brush up on their driving skills....you dont go to race track to crash a car. just to clear a lap n shoortest possble time.
numb drivers always spoil the fun

fesss_84 said:
if its really as bad as ur saying about people crashing and stuff, then it sounds abit scary...they should brush up on their driving skills....you dont go to race track to crash a car. just to clear a lap n shoortest possble time.
numb drivers always spoil the fun

Have you posted in the wrong thread???

sakkie69 said:
Read up on data storage, you obviously dont do any programming.
um, yes i do and am paid quite handsomely for it - i'm fully aware of how bits and bytes work - and the significance of the 255 value, however the only values that the RNS-E will accept for the VIM setting are 0, 5 and 250.

read up on your vag-com coding - you obviously don't do any :p

MarcQuinlivan said:
um, yes i do and am paid quite handsomely for it - i'm fully aware of how bits and bytes work - and the significance of the 255 value, however the only values that the RNS-E will accept for the VIM setting are 0, 5 and 250.

read up on your vag-com coding - you obviously don't do any :p

Sakkie is right though in theory. The ADC could simply convert the speed into a byte encoding each mph as 1 bit. Then changing the VIM setting would just change the value of that byte.

I don't think they do though as they're german cars so they use kph and would probably want a lot more accuracy anyway.

The priciple is still the same though. ADC converts speed into 2/3/4 bytes and changing the VIM just changes it's threshold to make the equivilant sequence. Just because you see 1-5 doesn't mean anything.

Eeef said:
unless you're saying you set the value to 11111111?

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

What I was suggesting... in fact I'm not going to go there.

fesss_84 said:
will the RNS-E show navigation direction on my DIS even though its only 1/2 DIS inside the speedometer circle in the dash.
can someone help me identify, which type of DIS i have. i think they come in two sorts, at the moment iv only seen the actual DIS BETWEEN the rev and speedometer show me when doors are opened and these are simply done with a single red LED lighting up. behing a cut out of shape of car if you understand what i mean.
Getting back on-topic, this sounds like you don't have DIS. In the A3 8P, the RNS-E works with DIS with no coding, but it's unlikely to do anything with your car. I'm not sure how difficult a retrofit of DIS is, but I'd guess it'll be expensive and not without hassle.

fesss_84 said:
how does installing the more advanced digital speedo mean i have to change my entire dash insert, therefore my mileage will be lost ???
Someone correct me if this is wrong - I think the mileage is stored within the ECU so swapping the clocks shouldn't make any change to the mileage.

I'm not sure about the mileage but I think the immobiliser stuff is in the clock pod which requires dealer coding if changed. I'd check up on this to be sure.

Mileage is stored in the clocks therefore changing the clocks will change the mileage. If you fit new (not second-hand) clocks then you can adjust them (one time only) to match the cars current mileage.

I think a back-up is also stored within the ECU. I recall reading that ross-tech were working on accesing the value in the ECU with VAG-COM so you see wether or not the car has been clocked. Not sure if that has been sorted yet.