Best value coilover kit

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
I'll be fitting 19s to my A3 TDI 170 S-Line quattro sportback soon and would like to lower it. Most of the spring kits (Eibach, H&R, etc.) seem a little hit & miss, plus the std S-Line damping is a little fierce, so I'm assuming I could improve matters with a coilover kit?

I don't want to spend a fortune but I'd like a reasonable setup that will improve the damping and allow me to adjust the height of the car to suit the 19s.

What do people recommend, where should I go to get it fitted (I'm in Kent) and how much should I be paying?

As said before maars, I'm gettin the KW V2s, they are £840 and they are made from stainless steel, so not rusting in the winter, I think FK coilovers are alot cheaper, you'll have to speak to Boydie, and see what he thinks of them.

Thanks

KW do great coilover kits but they're not cheap. A division on KW is Weitec who also do great kits but for alot less. They're definately something to look at and also offer just height adjustment or both height and damping adjustment.

HTH

Damian @ DPM

N8KOW - cancel your KW order - KW's are basically FK's!

FK highsports or koingsports - KW v1's
FK silverline's - KW V2's
FK silverline x - KW v3's

You are gettin the same coilover for a much cheaper price!

If i was going down the coilover route again, I would probably get FK konigsports or silverline x - something with dampening adjustment

I have FK highsports - awesome coilover, love them! but can be harsh some times with the bumpy roads and 19" wheels

I will go back to FK again and again - great coilover!!!

Iv'e got a brand new Eibach spring kit that I'm selling for your car on the classifieds section still boxed.

PM me if interested!

I understand what you're saying boydie, but I will gladly hand over £840 for the coilovers because I know what I'm getting, you pay for what you get at the end of the day. Thanks though boydie. Hope all this helps maars. Weitec or FKs are best for you because you don't wanna pay top dollar.

N8KOW said:
I understand what you're saying boydie, but I will gladly hand over £840 for the coilovers because I know what I'm getting, you pay for what you get at the end of the day. Thanks though boydie. Hope all this helps maars. Weitec or FKs are best for you because you don't wanna pay top dollar.

I agree. Some companies may make more than one product under different names but with a reputable company there will be differences between them.

Just the same as VAG. I got in my mates brand new R32 the other day expecting to be bowled over but the interior looked really cheap compared to the A3.

Sometimes with these products it's a lot harder to see where the extra money goes but nearly always it has gone somewhere.

Thanks for all the advice.

So, KW, Weitec, Bilstein. Anyone used/fitted Koni's kit at all?

I have Konis on my 8L S3, ride is good, never had any problems with them...could do with setting up properly though.

staz1000 said:
I agree. Some companies may make more than one product under different names but with a reputable company there will be differences between them.

Just the same as VAG. I got in my mates brand new R32 the other day expecting to be bowled over but the interior looked really cheap compared to the A3.

Sometimes with these products it's a lot harder to see where the extra money goes but nearly always it has gone somewhere.

That is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Volkswagon build the Lupo and they also build the bentley gt coupe, you see where I'm going with this :icon_thumright: .......so my point here has been made :hi:

maars said:
So, KW, Weitec, Bilstein. Anyone used/fitted Koni's kit at all?

rode in a B6 A4 with the koni FSD shocks and eibach springs....comfy.
No height adjustments though.

N8KOW said:
That is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Volkswagon build the Lupo and they also build the bentley gt coupe, you see where I'm going with this :icon_thumright: .......so my point here has been made :hi:

Lol Don't forget they make the Veyron too.

N8KOW said:
Well there you go! I did forget actually! And Lambos. I love the VAG boys. :hubbahubba:

Ditto! I've got a '07 Corsa 1.2 hire car this week and I hate it. It's crap in every way. Would rather have a lupo actually.

I have my source totally wrong sorry!

Eibach coilovers are the same as KW

KW use their own shock and use eibach springs

Eibach use KW shocks and their own spings

Price each and see whats cheaper

but i still recommend FK's :p

So back to business (how we ever get onto Corsas in an Audi forum?!)....

Who actually has coilovers fitted to their A3 8P? List...
name, make, cost, ride comfort, score (out of 10)

I thank you!

SimonA3 also who i think has KW V3's

I love my coilovers but they can be quite harsh so maybe I wish I went for konigsports or silverline x Fk's

excellent coilover though, 8/10 from me

Thanks Boydie.

I'm after something that will improve the std S-Line damping, which is quite bouncy.

What you have to be carefull with dampening adjustable coilovers are the seals when lowering

My old spax coilovers leaked oil - they were in my clio which had 18" rims, 35mm profile tyres and lowered 40mm

My friend has GAZ coilovers and they have recently leaked

Its just another area to look into when chosing a coilover - I do lots and lots of driving mostly over country roads so that would be a huge contributing factor towards leaking shocks - hence why i dont have them! lol

Thanks for the advice Boydie.

I know all too well about leaking dampers. The Koni coilovers I had custom made for my Fiesta turbo way back started leaking. They seized on the back and spun me off on a spirited exit from a roundabout. I don't want that happening again and certainly not in the Audi.

Ok so it's between the FK's, the KW's and of course the PSS9/10's...

But what about Weitec Hicon GT....What do you think of those?

Just wondering since I'm broke :whistle2:

With coilovers you really do get what you pay for.

I had 2 sets on my old Polo Mk4, first i had some called Funtech which had FK internals but they seized up within a year even though they were always greased up.

I then went to FK's and they were good but evenually they seized up.

I then sold the car after that.

If i were to get coilovers for the A3 i wouldn't mess around getting the cheaper versions, i'd just go for the stainless KW's. Yes they cost more but in the long run it will cost more to buy some cheap ones and then have to replace them for something better when they seize or start to leak.

Marrs,

If you feel that the s-line suspension rides harsh then coliovers might not be for you becuase they can only be sportier!. The only coilovers that I know that rides close to s-line suspension is Bilstien PSS9 /PSS10. Definately not cheap but they are on my up and coming mod list as there is a wide range for damping adjustment.

If you are looking for a comfortable ride but a lowered suspension I would recommend just springs... Eibachs serves that purpose well

Marrs,

If you feel that the s-line suspension rides harsh then coliovers might not be for you becuase they can only be sportier!. The only coilovers that I know that rides close to s-line suspension is Bilstien PSS9 /PSS10. Definately not cheap but they are on my up and coming mod list as there is a wide range for damping adjustment.

If you are looking for a comfortable ride but a lowered suspension I would recommend just springs... Eibachs serves that purpose well

For that very reason I've gone with H&R springs on std dampers now.

A crappy pic from my N95 for you...:yum:
Image046_2.jpg