Car tax?

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm hopefully picking up my newish sportback this week, and trading in my current car with over 1/2 a years tax on it, can we keep the tax and get a refund.

Of course Audi stung us for a full years tax.

Thanks,

TDI/

You should be able to, but just have a quick check on your trade in valuation sheet (if they gave you a copy) I always have done and I think its fair game really,they sting you enough anyway:motz: :icon_thumright:

You can reclaim any whole months remaining on a tax disc ( I think the instructions on how to do this are printed on the reverse of the tax disc).

The only consideration here is that the dealer may have included the refund of the remaining tax as part of the overall deal on the car.

Personally, I'd chance it and keep the disc and get a refund. If they do happen to say anything after the change over then you can always sort it out then. If they say nothing then you keep the refund! Result.

I think garages prey on the fact most people don't know they can get a refund, or simply can't be bothered.
I doubt any garage builds it into the deal.
I'd ask for a refund too, sod 'em.

Thanks guys.

Also the number plate is a cherished plate, will this effect the outcome?

The number plate is being transfered from our vw to new Audi.

TDI, your cherished plate will cause a problem so you'll need to know how your old tax is to be considered by the garage. ie in the trade in deal or not.

Once your plate changes over to new car. Your old car will pick up either new plates dating to the year of the car or whatever that plate was prior to your cherished plate.

This means your traded in car will be issued with the remainder of your old tax disc on the whatever plate it once wore. ITS this tax disc you need to claim back on. The garage will have it or will be getting it from DVLA.

Your disc on the VW once removed will be void against that car/your cherished plate therefore you'll get nothing even if you chance it. It'll bounce from DVLA.

You need to ask garage for the replacement disc for your old car and get a reclaim form from post office to get your refund.

This is exactly what i did with my trade in and the day i picked up my S3 the salesman handed over my replacement disc for the traded in car which i sent off and I am currently waiting for the refund from DVLA

You can put your cherished plate on retention, that way all the details and the new tax disk will come to you rather than the garage. All you do is give the Certificate of Retention to the garage and they use that to tax the new car for 12 months using your number.

In theory you will be given a new number and your supposed to get new plates fitted straight away, but I never bother. I just drive my existing car to the garage with my personal plate on it, and collect the new car with the same number. Strange to see two cars at the garage with the same registration number! I give them the new replacement V5 and they change the plates before they sell the car.

Thanks again guys.

The garage are sorting the whole plate swap, will ask for the new tax disc when i pick up the car.