Audi A3 Sportback TDI 170

Markm49

Reaction score
Well after what seems like an extraordinarily long time I have at last taken delivery of the A3 - and all I can say is wow !

Superb handover from Hull Audi who explained all the bits on the car (my favourite is the auto recirculate button which even if it turns out to not work as well as it should is still a great feature).

As for the car I am absolutely over the moon - can't stop smiling in fact as it is just superb. The fit and finish is great and the materials used are just top quality.

As for the fun bit the engine well I admit I just cannot resist the temptation (after the engine is warm of course) - from very low down the power delivery from the 170 is just fantastic and it makes the most satisfying growl as it winds it's way up the rev range. I have recent experience of a BMW 320D which I thought was the best diesel available until I drove the A3 170 - the power feels more readily available in the A3 and the whole thing feels quicker.

As mentioned in previous posts the only slight downside is the ability to put down 170ps through the front wheels alone - have to control the right foot slighty in the current damp road conditions but when the roads have dried up boy does this thing shift.

Anyway must dash am sure I need to dash out to the shops for something or other.........:icon_thumright:

Good news, I can't wait for mine, they told me two weeks from last Thursday!

"my favourite is the auto recirculate button"

Surely out of everything onthe car there must be something you like more than that!!!! :wacko:

How long were you told to wait to run the engine in?

Markm49 said:
my favourite is the auto recirculate button which even if it turns out to not work as well as it should is still a great feature.

I wouldnt hold out too much hope for this, turned out to completely useless on the '07 A3 I recently got rid of.

Any pics/plans/mods in the pipeline?

Markm49 said:
Well after what seems like an extraordinarily long time I have at last taken delivery of the A3 - and all I can say is wow !

Superb handover from Hull Audi who explained all the bits on the car (my favourite is the auto recirculate button which even if it turns out to not work as well as it should is still a great feature).

As for the car I am absolutely over the moon - can't stop smiling in fact as it is just superb. The fit and finish is great and the materials used are just top quality.

As for the fun bit the engine well I admit I just cannot resist the temptation (after the engine is warm of course) - from very low down the power delivery from the 170 is just fantastic and it makes the most satisfying growl as it winds it's way up the rev range. I have recent experience of a BMW 320D which I thought was the best diesel available until I drove the A3 170 - the power feels more readily available in the A3 and the whole thing feels quicker.

As mentioned in previous posts the only slight downside is the ability to put down 170ps through the front wheels alone - have to control the right foot slighty in the current damp road conditions but when the roads have dried up boy does this thing shift.

Anyway must dash am sure I need to dash out to the shops for something or other.........:icon_thumright:

Congratulations on new toy, excellent car what colour did you go for.

Excellent - glad your pleased with it.

My dealer rang me yesterday to say all being well I can collect mine next Friday (7th Dec) :)

rob1210 said:
Good news, I can't wait for mine, they told me two weeks from last Thursday!

"my favourite is the auto recirculate button"

Surely out of everything onthe car there must be something you like more than that!!!! :wacko:

How long were you told to wait to run the engine in?

The guy from Audi basically said not to bother running it in but to A) Wait until the car was warm before booting it and B) Just let it tick over for a few minutes after a hard drive before turning off the engine.

The auto recirc system failed on my 140! New sensor was fitted and all was OK.

When running in I tried not to go over 2500 revs for the first 500 miles, then 3,000 for the next 500. Then I did what I liked. It's not used any oil in 6,000 miles so all must be OK.

good to hear news, glad we've gone for the Quattro option for next March

Dumb-*** time maybe, but can anyone explain what the auto recirculate button is supposed to do, and what benefits it may have ? My handbook is about useless when it comes to minor controls :think:

Neil C said:
Dumb-*** time maybe, but can anyone explain what the auto recirculate button is supposed to do, and what benefits it may have ? My handbook is about useless when it comes to minor controls :think:

Well the guy from Audi explained that the car has sensors at the front of the car and when these sensors detect exhaust fumes, pollen etc it automatically switches on the recirculation and then when the 'smell' has passed turns it off - thereby preventing them from entering the cabin before you would ordinarily press it manually.

Good idea but will wait and see if it works or not - seemed ok in Sheffield today when I was surrounded by buses.

Good idea but will wait and see if it works or not - seemed ok in Sheffield today when I was surrounded by buses.
[\quote]

Mine work OK when I going through some tunnels on holiday in Austria. Sometimes the tunnels can get a 'fumey' from exhaust fumes. Mine switched over to recirculate soon after entering the tunnels.

Rick Glover said:
good to hear news, glad we've gone for the Quattro option for next March

It will make a difference but with a tempered right foot this car is still seriously quick even in front wheel drive makeup.

Very happy - definitely made the right choice in the 170.