Badger5JMB Retrofits
    5th Gear

Status

New Audi A3 Convertible

A new addition to the A3 range, the Audi A3 Cabriolet, has been unveiled today at the Audi factory
    in Györ, Hungary.

This exciting new A3 variant builds on the outstanding success of its siblings and will attract a new
    customer base by offering a compact premium Cabriolet with great functionality and versatility to
    complement the stunning design of the car.

Vehicle Details
    The A3 Cabriolet continues Audi’s strategy of having an electrically folding fabric roof on all its
    convertibles. The roof on the A3 Cabriolet features an innovative Z-fold mechanism resulting in no
    intrusion in to the car’s already excellent boot space when folded. Due to this innovative system the
    roof needs no tonneau or cover when folded shut. Furthermore the roof can be opened in just 9
    seconds, making it by far the fastest opening roof in the segment.

Exterior Features
    The exterior design of the car is also subtly different from the A3 3 door and Sportback. The rear
    features a new light cluster creating a perception of increased width, and unique ‘light strips’
    providing the car with plenty of individualism. The front of the car features a modified headlight
    design (with optional Xenon headlights including LED daytime running lights) and a stronger
    integration of the trademark Audi single-frame front grille.

Interior Features
    The interior of the A3 Cabriolet enhances Audi’s reputation for building world-class interiors and
    accentuates the premium and sporty character of the car. The Cabriolet’s interior features subtle
    yet stylish enhancements over the existing A3 range. Rear seat space is excellent due to the design
    of the roof, and the car offers a highly competitive level of legroom.

Another unique selling point (USP) of the car is the wide through-load system. With the seats folded
    flat, and the through-load system in use, the luggage space of the car is increased to 674 litres,
    and the load length is increased by 150 centimetres. With the roof down the A3 Cabriolet has a
    boot space of 252 litres, making it the largest in the segment.

Engines and Transmission
    At launch the A3 Cabriolet will be available with a choice of 4 engines, 2 petrol and 2 diesel:

• 1.8 TFSI 160PS
    • 2.0 TFSI 200PS
    • 1.9 TDI 105PS
    • 2.0 TDI 140PS

The 2.0 TDI 140PS is a member of the new generation of common-rail diesel engines that feature
    greater efficiency and responsiveness, as well as significantly improved acoustic characteristics.

Each of the above engines, with the exception of the 1.9 TDI, is available with the option of a 6-
    speed manual transmission or the acclaimed 6-speed semi-automatic S tronic gearbox. The 1.9 TDI
    is only available with a 5-speed manual gearbox.
    Technical Information for the above engines will be published at a later date.

Options and Specification
    Initially the A3 Cabriolet will be available in two trim levels: Standard and Sport. Please see below
    some key items of specification. Full specification will be published at a later date:
    A3 Cabriolet Standard:

• Fully Automatic Electric Roof with manual locking mechanism.
    • 16” Alloy Wheels – New Design
    • Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
    • 4-spoke Leather Steering Wheel
    • Manual Air-Conditioning
    A3 Cabriolet Sport
    • Fully Automatic Acoustic Electric Roof with electric locking mechanism.
    • 17” Alloy Wheels – New Design
    • 3-spoke Leather Sports Steering Wheel
    • Wind Deflector
    • Driver’s Information System
    • Dual-zone Electronic Climate Control
    • Aluminium, Medial Silver Inlays

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    not a fan of that to be honest

Status
    why would they build a new a3 cab on the exisiting platform? I thought it was due to be replaced in the next couple of years?

Or is it just a soft top version of the VW EOS?

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    That just looks so like an EOS it's scary.
    And I thought Audi wanted to distance themselves from VW.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Neutral

Status
    IMHO it's better than the EOS - it's much shorter as it doesn't need to store a leaking folding metal roof!

why would they build a new a3 cab on the exisiting platform? I thought it was due to be replaced in the next couple of years?
    VAG group quite often keep their cabriolets on the older platform for a while after a model change so that may well be Audi's stratergy with this one. It can then be made a plant set up to use the old rather than the new platform.

To me it looks like the existing A3/Sportback with a soft top!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Neutral

Status
    if they facelift the current model with those front and rear lights and new front end next year I think it will sell well..

Neutral

Status
    "VAG group quite often keep their cabriolets on the older platform"

Correct. Despite the new A4 the old A4 cabriolet will continue until the A5 cabriolet replaces it.

5th Gear

Status
    That looks awful IMHO. Far too close to the EOS. Which also looks awful!
    A6 3.0 TDI.

4th Gear

Status
    The EOS looks awful. No question, it's just got a big arse.
    The A3 convertible looks great, nice and tidy. Why say you don't like it when it just looks like the A3 you own minus the top??
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

1st Gear

Status
    that last picture of the rear reminds me of a squashed Aston Martin. anyone else see it? Not sure I like it all that much though.

1st Gear

Status
    Interesting to now see that the glove-box is lockable on the cabriolet, a strange omission on the current A3/S3 given the ability to have an ipod stored in there...
    12- A1 1.6TDI Sport Sportback Misano Red/Black, Black/Grey Tornado, Xenons, Tech Pack, Mobile Prep High, Bose, Rear Park, Cruise, Dim Mirror, Climate, LED Lights, Armrest
    07-12 S3 Sprint Blue, Leather & Buckets, Flat MFSW, Armrest & Phone Prep, Rear Park, Dim & Fold Mirror, Tyre Warn, Sunband, Interior Light, Cruise, Hill hold, Auto Light & Rain, Bose, Sat Nav+, iPod
    01-07 S3 Dolphin Grey, Blue/Black Alcantara, Bose, Armrest, CD, Cruise, Ali Mirrors, Heated Seats
    00-01 A3 1.8TQ Sport Red, Bose

6th Gear

Status
    am I the only one who doesn't think it looks too bad?

Put it in a different colour and trim combination and I think it'll look very nice.

Admittedly, its a bit of a birds car, like the golf cab and EOS though... but it certainly solves the problem of women whinging about the size of the A4 cab.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    am I the only one who doesn't think it looks too bad?

Put it in a different colour and trim combination and I think it'll look very nice.

Admittedly, its a bit of a birds car, like the golf cab and EOS though... but it certainly solves the problem of women whinging about the size of the A4 cab.

Yeah I quite like it. Although I wouldn't have one as it's a girls car (or hairdressers but same difference). My missus doesn't like it though lol.

Looks like all new audis are going to come with LED DRLs. Shame the S3 doesn't have them though.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

5th Gear

Status
    Top down it looks good but with the roof up, looks quite bad =/
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

To see the full Audi press release click here: http://car.kak.net/Article5819.html
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    I like it with the roof down but looks pants with it up. Seems to be a love it or hate it car from the comments.
    RS Focus MP 350
    Porsche 997 Carrera
    S3 Sprint blue
    A3 SLine170TDI

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Looks very nice.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

1st Gear

Status
    I like it - have deposit placed and initial spec decided - waiting for confirmation of full option availability and prices. Be a good car IMO, new 2l TDi should be pretty decent. Audi UK are telling me order will not be 'placable' until Q1 08 which is a shame, but should be here in tme for summer, not sure if that makes much difference based on this year tho!!
    Nothing to see here: Woofdoggy , move along please........

2nd Gear

Status
    Think it is OK...wouldn't have in it my garage though!

What I would like is those headlights... I wonder if they'll fit my 8P - hmmm they look slightly bigger (perhaps they will fit the later model with SFG)
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads