AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

Do Diesels Require Anti-Freeze?

Well i'm about to top it up with Screenwash as soon as it comes through the door but just wondering if I even need any anti-freeze neither.

And this could be a stupid question but, why even need anti-freeze? Is it beneficial for the motor during the cold months or is it so when you spray the screenwash on the car, it doesn't allow the frost to settle on it.

Thanks
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    STOP RIGHT THERE

DO NOT PUT ANTI-FREEZE IN THE WASHER BOTTLE

Anti-freeze is a bit of an old fashioned name now. It is better referred to as coolant additive and should be in the cooling system all year round as it is also a corrosion inhibitor. Without it your engine will quickly become junk as the internal waterways in the engine will corrode.

You need to add screen wash additive to the washer bottle - This will help clear the winter road grime and also helps prevent the washer fluid from freezing in the winter and helps clean the bugs off the screen in the summer.

Anti-freeze is a completely different thing. It protects the cooling system of the engine and prevents the water in the radiator and engine from freezing. Without this (or if the concentration is not great enough) then the water in the engine will freeze and then thats goodbye to you 2.0TDi lump as the block/head will crack.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

5th Gear

Status
    Thank you very much, really appreciate your detailed post. Learnt quite alot right there =)

Added it to my word document - i've got a word document of useful facts I need to know heh.

Many thanks again Marms!
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten