My Stealth S3 has been to hell with regards remaping )Need advice)

madalex

S3-less untill December
Reaction score
Well i dont know what to say , I went to have my car chipped with revo the other week only to drive away and felt some misfiring , went back the following day with new iridium plugs thinking this will fix it easily (as i read warrens post), Changed the plugs drove away STILL MISFIRING , Arrange with Rich from revo to come down the next day to try and resolve my problem , He went threw alll sorts of testing and still could not stop the misfiring at any level of the revo chip settings ,He even made a complete custom map from scratch , I just dont know what to do now , This is a complete nightmare ,
My car is fine till around 6000rpm where the misfires eccurs .
Also my car on the dyno is 291bhp standard , wtf thats 30bhp more than whats quoted . Me ,Grant(westec) and nick (revo) just dont know what to say now . I am totally ****** off and gone threw hell the past 2 weeks . Done 400miles for no reason and **** loads of petrol , Also got a set of iridium sparks for no reason . The misfire does eccur ever so slightly without the remap also but doesnt record and fault , As now i have spoken to a good friend at audi and in order for them to do anything they need to have some sort of fault or error code , And audi wont be able to fix it as they dont have dynos and the technician better not drive my car that fast on the road , :keule: :keule: :keule: :keule: :keule: Help please

Madalex - go past audi and pick up a new set of Bosch plugs and install them immediately.

If they don't fix your problem 100% then it's something very strange. Almost freaky.

will my ngk iridiums not fix what the bosh plugs will ? I dont understand much about coil packs , shall i purschase some audi ones or aftermarket ones , Please can u guys advise me more
Thanks

Sorry to hear about your problems pal. I can almost feel your frustration. Nothing worse than having problems with the car.

But do what the others said, it could be something really small so don't threat just yet.

can misfiring be related to any thing else other than plugs or coilovers ??? Thanks emzino ,its heart breaking to be playing around with a brand new car

"its heart breaking to be playing around with a brand new car"

quit messing with it then

The coil packs set ontop of each plug check they are seated properly on plugs,sounds like a coil pack problem as they breakdown at higher revs causing misfire

What age is the car and mileage.when Revo scanned ecu did it not it show any other software ? to explain high bhp ?

If i was you i would put the car back to what it was before they remapped, find the problem then remap...when standard set up it will be easier to source the problem as it will not have all the other issues of remap to consider

And TBH Revo should of health checked your motor before doing anything

Other things i would check is to see is the N75 valve is standard as if this has a J model it could be falling into limp mode with the remap giving higher boost

Wow, 291 as stock, i'd keep it as standard and lower insurance costs too.

But good luck with your venture.

The coil packs usually throw a fault code when they start to pack up.
Have you thought about an air mass problem ? I have had these go in the past on the 1.8t and it starts with a hesitance high up in the rev range which feels exactly like a misfire and gets progressively worse over time.
If I were you, I'd get it flashed back to standard and get Audi to sort it out under warranty. Of course , it needs to happen with a tech at the side of you. Be persistent though.
I wouldn't have thought it would be anything to do with the map though.

Chris.

Mine goes in for a remap on Saturday with Revo, this thread is giving me 2nd thoughts about it now. :no:

It was Nick not Rich that came down mate!
The car is misfiring and thus dropping power at 5800rpm regardless of being in stock, performance or having any additional boost put through her. It's very consistant, not a random misfire. Almost as if there is a surge or spike possibly showing up a weak earthing at that point, the cause however is unknown. If it were an older car then I'd suggest putting aftermarket coils in and grounding them individually, but this shouldn't be happening. Being that the issue is there as stock and it's such a new low mileage car I'd get her back into Audi!

As proven yesterday it's not an issue with Revo software as the car has the symptom in stock mode, the more you push through the car the bigger the issue becomes to the extent it will throw a misfire fault. Something like this is often difficult for the dealer to pick up prior to putting software on, but all of our dealers are recommended to fully check cars before putting software on them.

I've personnally flashed 6 new S3's that don't have this issue. Three cars have been done through one of our Audi main dealers in the last few weeks, there have been double figures of them done over in Greece not to mention cars that have been flashed globally through any of the other 350 dealers. This is the 3rd car we've seen out of all of those with this issue. The problem that other people have had with plugs doesn't seem to be the same issue, but then all of those have only occured after much abuse and running very high settings.

S3izzo, who are you going to see on Saturday? I wouldn't worry about it unless your car is hesitating at 5800rpm already! If I had one the first thing I'd do is put software on her!

madalex said:
Well i dont know what to say , I went to have my car chipped with revo the other week only to drive away and felt some misfiring , went back the following day with new iridium plugs thinking this will fix it easily (as i read warrens post), Changed the plugs drove away STILL MISFIRING , Arrange with Rich from revo to come down the next day to try and resolve my problem , He went threw alll sorts of testing and still could not stop the misfiring at any level of the revo chip settings ,He even made a complete custom map from scratch , I just dont know what to do now , This is a complete nightmare ,
My car is fine till around 6000rpm where the misfires eccurs .
Also my car on the dyno is 291bhp standard , wtf thats 30bhp more than whats quoted . Me ,Grant(westec) and nick (revo) just dont know what to say now . I am totally ****** off and gone threw hell the past 2 weeks . Done 400miles for no reason and **** loads of petrol , Also got a set of iridium sparks for no reason . The misfire does eccur ever so slightly without the remap also but doesnt record and fault , As now i have spoken to a good friend at audi and in order for them to do anything they need to have some sort of fault or error code , And audi wont be able to fix it as they dont have dynos and the technician better not drive my car that fast on the road , :keule: :keule: :keule: :keule: :keule: Help please

Sorry to hear your issues mate. Have you changed your plugs yet?

I am doing mine tomorrow morning (changing to the Iridium NGK's). I found that 2 of my plugs weren't particularly well tightened (the factory ones).

Grant at Westec did the stage 2 conversion on my Leon Cupra R. If you see him again send him my regards!

I'm really feel for you as it is a very disconcerting feeling having a £30+k car thats not working. Makes you sick to the pit of your stomach.

Nick (from Revo) checked my car over after I had my issues and its been perfect ever since (with tightly crossed fingers). The problem is that all too often people can blame the map for a fault, but in some cases it just accentuates an issue that may not have been noticeable in OE mode.

My thoughts are with you and I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Isn't the N75 J valve only relevant to the old 8L S3?

I would be looking at first and foremost why the car is putting out 291bhp standard, clearly this is not right at all?

Is the turbo ok and not causing a massive boost spike which results in a misfire?

Wastegate playing up causing above?

Two close friends of mine have new S3`s and have had them remapped and the before or standard figures were well above the Audi 265ps, cant remember what they were off the top of my head but I think they were around the 285 sort of mark so I dont think the 291 is because of a problem as such although clearly there is a running issue:think: ...hope you can get it sorted soon Alex:icon_thumright:

Wes G said:
Two close friends of mine have new S3`s and have had them remapped and the before or standard figures were well above the Audi 265ps, cant remember what they were off the top of my head but I think they were around the 285 sort of mark so I dont think the 291 is because of a problem as such although clearly there is a running issue:think: ...hope you can get it sorted soon Alex:icon_thumright:

The figures should not be that high over standard (what they should be), either something is wrong with the car or the rollers they were tested on are way out of calibration!

JamS3 said:
The figures should not be that high over standard (what they should be), either something is wrong with the car or the rollers they were tested on are way out of calibration!
If you were to ask anyone with a new S3 that has had a RR then I m confident you will get higher than Audi quoted figures, why I dont know but at the local RR\ revo center ( Clive Atthowe) they have found all the ones they have done so far have been similar? A nd on reading various threads on here it would seem that other places in the country are the same...are they all wrong, go and have yours tested and I would put money on it being over the 265ps? I dont drive an S3 myself so I must be wrong...oh well:happy:

S3IZZO said:
Mine goes in for a remap on Saturday with Revo, this thread is giving me 2nd thoughts about it now. :no:
Can you let us know how you get on figure wise S3IZZO???:icon_thumright:

Wes G said:
I dont drive an S3 myself so I must be wrong...oh well:happy:

Who has accused you of that?

Just seems strange to me Audi quoted figure of 261bhp or is it 265PS and some cars are making nearly 30BHP over this?

I could understand about 10bhp of manufacturer figures but nearly 30bhp?

So are people paying 500 or 600 quid for remaps getting totally ripped of for a 15-20bhp increase then as they are only coming away with 306 or about that figure?

JamS3 said:
So are people paying 500 or 600 quid for remaps getting totally ripped of for a 15-20bhp increase then as they are only coming away with 306 or about that figure?

Not at all, I had my car remapped with Revo stage 1 on saturday and the difference is amazing! (Much like Standard > Stage 1 on the old S3), it feels like a new car!

I was concerned that car would be all boost and not at all progressive like the old S3 map was but the power is usable all the way to the red line.

Best £587.50 you could spend on the car IMO (I also bought a Revo Select to put it back to standard if needs be).

Sorry Wes, any figures are guestimates...need to get it on the rollers, i'm not too concerned that I don't know the BHP figure as the car drives a lot better and that's what's important isn't it? :icon_thumright:

S3IZZO said:
Not at all, I had my car remapped with Revo stage 1 on saturday and the difference is amazing! (Much like Standard > Stage 1 on the old S3), it feels like a new car!

I was concerned that car would be all boost and not at all progressive like the old S3 map was but the power is usable all the way to the red line.

Best £587.50 you could spend on the car IMO (I also bought a Revo Select to put it back to standard if needs be).

Sorry Wes, any figures are guestimates...need to get it on the rollers, i'm not too concerned that I don't know the BHP figure as the car drives a lot better and that's what's important isn't it? :icon_thumright:

Exactly. The figures don't tell the full picture. My 2.0T was bluefinned and was great, then I test drove an S3 and there wasn't as much power lower down in the rev range. I found myself having to drop into a lower gear than in my own car sometimes.

[FONT=&quot]Every Revo tuned 2.0T fsi with exhaust modifications I have ever came across does this!.. I bet the colder it is the worse it gets??

My Golf did it and I spent lots of money and time trying to sort it out with no luck.. Very bad customer service, or lack of it anyways and seems like they are pretty happy with making anyone with a laptop into a Revo dealer..

Basically get your money back from Revo and get yourself a GIAC map, much smoother boost throttle response etc and all of your problems will suddenly disappear..

Alternatively get the standard map put back onto your car and I bet you it will all be ok again..

Just like to say I have no personal interest in GIAC products etc, just all bad experiences with REVO

If you have a completely standard car and dont intend to modify your car with anything more than a re-map then you should be ok with REVO but anything more than that and it just cant cope.. By the way I had tried all the different stages and settings with the 'advice' of the revo technicians

Jonny[/FONT]​

jonnyc, Do you know where the best place is to get the GIAC remap in the northwest area??

Or could you recomend a dealer, I presume you have to take your car to them, or is it done via a plug in unit like the Bluefin??

Wanting to get my S3 done after run in next March/April ish

Im really not sure mate, I had mine done by Regal Autosport..

Maybe give them a call and ask if they know, pretty sure there the official UK GIAC agents so anyone who had GIAC would have something to do with them

Like I say im not attacking REVO for no reason, and in my experience GIAC was very very good!

Good luck..

Jonny

L33TAY said:
jonnyc, Do you know where the best place is to get the GIAC remap in the northwest area??

Or could you recomend a dealer, I presume you have to take your car to them, or is it done via a plug in unit like the Bluefin??

http://www.giacusa.com/dealermap/

jonnyc said:
[FONT=&quot]Every Revo tuned 2.0T fsi with exhaust modifications I have ever came across does this!.. I bet the colder it is the worse it gets??[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]

My Golf did it and I spent lots of money and time trying to sort it out with no luck.. Very bad customer service, or lack of it anyways and seems like they are pretty happy with making anyone with a laptop into a Revo dealer..​

Basically get your money back from Revo and get yourself a GIAC map, much smoother boost throttle response etc and all of your problems will suddenly disappear..​

Alternatively get the standard map put back onto your car and I bet you it will all be ok again..​

Just like to say I have no personal interest in GIAC products etc, just all bad experiences with REVO​

If you have a completely standard car and dont intend to modify your car with anything more than a re-map then you should be ok with REVO but anything more than that and it just cant cope.. By the way I had tried all the different stages and settings with the 'advice' of the revo technicians​

Jonny​
[/FONT]

I've had the pleasure of having my S3 remappped by both REVO and GIAC. Difference between the two initially was significant as I found my initial REVO map rather boosty instead of linear power delivery that the GIAC provides. I have since loaded the Revision 2 of the REVO map and I can tell you it is a gem! Perfect balance of boost and timing and it is o so smooth:icon_thumright: I had the misfiring issue too but this was evident on both the REVO and GIAC software. I communicated with Kev via email as well as thewusman who advised me to remove the NGKs and refit my OEM Bosch plugs....problem sorted:icon_thumright: Software is software irrespective of which company is providing you with it, its just how the power is deliverd that makes the difference and offcourse service as well as aftersales support.

L33TAY said:

Go to awesome gti in irlam/cadishead and get a map there, they've just done my brothers S3 8L 210 mapped it to 271 for £370 and the difference is massive.

treblesykes said:
"its heart breaking to be playing around with a brand new car"

quit messing with it then

I agree with you. Tinkering with something always has this risk.:no:

How much power were you expecting after the tune up? If its putting out 291 as standard then isnt that enough for you?? Why pay more insurance and fee for tuning it just for an extra 15bhp to take it over 300bhp. Surely its not gonna give you a performance increase that will blow you away. Plus now you've got a car thats misfiring and causing you bother. VAG are usually conservative with their power output estimates.

Cooky

Madalex,

Have you found the root cause? I've just replaced my plugs with new OEM ones and I'm beginning to notice a flat spot at 4500rpm.

Rabbit222 said:
Software is software irrespective of which company is providing you with it, its just how the power is deliverd that makes the difference and offcourse service as well as aftersales support.

Erm.... that's like a really naive thing to say mate. Software is only as good as the developer that coded it.

Every parameter (value) that can be changed by a remap will have a knock on affect to how the engine behaves. In conventional software, even subtle, minute differences in code can mean the difference between a perfectly functional piece of software and a system failure (program crashing - though perhaps not relevant for ecu software as this'll probably be tightly controlled by the manufacturer -Audi)

So I think the source of the mapping is extremely important.

CJP80 said:
Madalex,

Have you found the root cause? I've just replaced my plugs with new OEM ones and I'm beginning to notice a flat spot at 4500rpm.

I replaced my plugs with OEM new ones and I had issues with cold starting and erratic idle. I have removed the second set of Bosch OE's and they look fine, BUT I then fitted the NGK Iridium IX's and the car has better fuel economy (wasn't expecting this), smoother running, better starting and the idle is rock solid. Acceleration seems far more consistent too.

I'm not convinced at all by the OE plugs. They seem to be OK if your running OE spec, but if your running any tweaks they seem to suffer.

I don't personally believe an 8P S3 runs 290bhp from factory. It felt far lazier than my 280bhp Stg2 Leon Cupra R? If it does then the maps aren't really achieving very much.

I can't wait to get the first belly of oil out of my car too. I've just hit 10k miles and the oils looking well past its sell by date.

Warren,

How did you get the engine cover off? Tried to remove mine (removed clips on airpipe and the plug on the sensor next to it) but I thought I was going to break it so left it alone. Got any tips?

JohnS3 said:
Warren,

How did you get the engine cover off? Tried to remove mine (removed clips on airpipe and the plug on the sensor next to it) but I thought I was going to break it so left it alone. Got any tips?

ditto

Guys,

You really need to pull hard. Make sure you get a good grip and force it up at one corner first. Ensure you've got hold of the bottom of the cover as there is a possibility of cracking it at the front as it overhangs.

There are four rubber grommets that hold it on and you have to overcome the tension in them to get it off. When you do they will probably remain attached to the engine block. Ensure you have all four. Remove them and install back in the cover prior to re-fitting. Slightly wetting them will make them easier to refit.

Thanks Lee. If it breaks I'll be round to "borrow" yours!! ;)

Hey Al have you got it sorted?! & when you going to take me for a spin!!?? :p

JohnS3 said:
Warren,

I spoke to Awesome GTi and they said to me I had to hold the front RHS corner of the engine cover (the corner near the DV) with my right hand, ant the back LH corner by the MAF with my left hand, and use a cross pressured pull (lifting the front edge whilst using the back edge as the pivot and vice versa), and it eventually comes off. It does take a lot of pressure and does feel like you are going to break it!!! Very much as Mitch says

It never gets any easier with time either!

Be very careful not to lose the rubber grommets which sit inside the engine cover. Some of them may stay stuck on the positioner lugs after you first remove the engine cover. You must replace these into the engine cover before refitting it as they will not re-seat if you just try pushing the engine cover onto them. To get them back in you need to push them in on one side and then either twist them to get them seated or used a very blunt flat edged device to coax them in (not sharp edged as it will split the grommet).

Best of luck!

Thanks Warren, I'll have a go with your technique. ;)