RNSe retorfit in 2007 A3/S3 ZF short to earth

JohnS3

Reaction score
Probably only relevant to anyone who has done this.

Those clever chaps over at audi4ever.at have worked out a fix for the ZF short to earth issue that doesn't require re-wiring the antenna system in the tailgate. Link

The two HF feeds from the antenna system connect to a golf/passat diversity converter and then onto the RNSe as a HF/ZF connection. The chap has posted a schematic for the connector cables too if you want to have them made up by an Austrian company called Krenn.

I've costed some of the parts from a VW dealer -
Golf/Passat diversity adaptor 1T0035530 - £108.61
Power connector for the above 1C0 973 119 - £1.49

This is a picture of the diversity adaptor mounted on its carried plate
id_347_v.jpg

I've asked vagparts for a price on the adaptor, if's it's significantly cheaper than VW I'll buy one and see how I get on with it. I'll post back any results if I actually get around to it.

If anyone can translate the page better than bablefish feel free to to do so.
From what I can make out, the ZF issue is fixed and the reception is much better too.

John

What is the ZF issue as iv'e not really noticed anything wrong on mine apart from the obvious vagcom error on the radio part?

I have this same error on my rns-e (fitted two weeks ago).

I presume this is what causes the radio reception to be very poor for stations that worked fine on the symphony II+

Thanks for posting this JohnS3 :icon_thumright: Was hoping there would be a fix for this, as i'm looking to retro-fit the RNS-E sometime next year :)

JamS3 said:
John

What is the ZF issue as iv'e not really noticed anything wrong on mine apart from the obvious vagcom error on the radio part?

Marc hit the nail on the head, it causes poor reception.

mitch78 said:
Finally! Good find John, I'll try get it done before it has to go in for a service (sometime in the next few weeks).

Cheers.

Good news Lee, do you know someone who can make up the required cables locally? If so I could do with a set too.

JohnS3 has posted this on navplus - seems to explain the cause of the problem.
Thought I'd post it here, rather than having to trawl through the german site to get the gist of it.

The symphony 2+ (shown on the left) has two HF inputs, one from the left aerial module - R108 (HF1 on pin 2) and another from aerial amplifier -R24 (HF2 on pin 3).
The RNS-e is expecting one HF input from the left aerial module - R108 (HF on pin 5) and has one ZF output back to the left aerial module - R108 (ZF on pin 4)

Part costs from vagparts -

1T0035530 £77.81+vat
1C0973119B £1.19+vat

Good plan, but you'd then have a ZF open circuit error showing on vagcom and the dealer VAS system. I did read that the sharkfin FM reception wasn't too good, I'll have a search for the link. Has anyone done this?

As far as I'm aware the fin isn't powered and would only provide the GPS signal to the RNSe. Still looking for that link.....

EDIT and of course an FM signal. Doh!!:keule: